Stage PM + Garmin Speed Sensor

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i recently been using my stages PM and didn't get a Garmin Speed Sensor till recently. before i would just use the cadence function from Stages and speed displayed by GPS in my Garmin 810.

the issue i'm having is that if my 810 detects the Stages PM, then when i try to pair up the Garmin speed sensor, it won't find it. even if i enter in the sensor id#, it still won't detect. vice versa, if it detects the Garmin sensor, it won't find the Stage PM.

i've only got it to work once where it detected both when i manually entered the ID for both, but after a weeks later, i power on the 810.. it only finds one but not the other.

any way around it? my 810 is on FW5.0 and Stages PM FW was updated to FW2.0 (their latest stable build).

should i just return the garmin sensor and go back to using the GPS for speed data on the 810? i would think the wheel based sensor would be more accurate, but i could be wrong.

anyone else have this issue?

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

This is Strange, I use this combination for about a month now without any problems...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

yea.. my other buddy has it as well and no issues with his either.

i use the same PM on two bikes and have set them up individually based on bike profile in 810. but on my Addict, it uses the old Garmin GCS10, so never an issue there. but on my TMR02, i tried to get another GCS10, but that got replaced by the newer speed sensor type. :(

what firmware are you on for your 810?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

So, you've got 2 profiles set up in your headunit?
1 with stages and gsc10 assigned to it.
1 with stages and new sensor assigned, or do you just try and search for a sensor on start up?

If you've got them set up as 2 different bikes, then it might be worth trying to change profiles before swapping bikes, and then switching your 810 off.
Then wake the speed sensor up before switching the headunit back on, and then wake the stages up.

I flip between 4 bikes with 3 different PMs and sensors, and the only time I have trouble is if the garmin sensors aren't woken before switching the headunit on / or my golden cheetah into trainer mode
Official cafe stop tester

addictR1

by addictR1

jekyll man wrote:So, you've got 2 profiles set up in your headunit?
1 with stages and gsc10 assigned to it.
1 with stages and new sensor assigned, or do you just try and search for a sensor on start up?

yup. but on the 810 with FW5.0, it does not let me search only speed sensor. when i enable it in the bike profile section, it also enable the cadence sensor search as well. is there a way in the 810 to search only for speed sensor?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Sorry, cant help you with that :(

Does it give you a choice of cadence or speed+ cadence?
Official cafe stop tester

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

This may seem like a stupidly obvious thing, but have you tried replacing the battery in your Garmin speed sensor. I have been experimenting with the new Garmin speed sensor that attaches to the hub. It seems to eat batteries, compared to the GSC10, and when they get low it seems to take forever for my Garmin 1000 to pick it up. I didn't think too much of replacing the battery the first time, since who knows what kind of charge the battery had in it when I purchased the thing. However, I felt it was way too soon to have to be replacing it again, but last night I just did it anyway, and when I did a quick spin of the wheel and it picked it up right away. Hmmm... not very impressed with battery life on these things. The battery life in the GSC10 was much much longer.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

Jekyllman, I was able to find it in the deeper sub menu where I can select speed sensor only. So now it sees it... For now... Haha

Calnago: yea I heard the same as well... This is actually my second one. First one was defective. Changed 5 battery and still won't blink. This one I've replaced the bat and still. If this still have issues I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the old GSC10, which I see is a whole lot more expensive now. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... I've been using and experimenting with the new Garmin Speed Sensor that straps onto the hub, uses and accelerometer (no magnet), and looks like a mini brick on the hub. Can't say I'm overly impressed and I prefer the older GSC-10. The new unit seems to eat batteries compared to the GSC-10. It also seems to take a long time to "connect", whereas the older GSC-10 was pretty much instantaneous.

Perhaps if I understood a bit more about how the accelerometer actually works from a scientific/engineering standpoint I'd be more confident in how it's actually working. So, if there are any engineers out there who can explain this to me I would appreciate it. But even then, aside from not having to use a magnet, I see no improvement to this thing, and in my opinion it's quite ugly on an otherwise nice looking hub. I think I prefer the look of the GSC-10 on the chainstay over this thing.

Also, what does it say about the new unit when the older model GSC-10 is now selling at huge premium (like double) over what it used to cost and is very hard to find. After some months of use of the new unit, I for one prefer the older GSC-10.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Yea I prefer the old one as well, but the cheapest I found was refurb model being sold from Austrialia for $45 or so, whereas I had only paid $35 2yrs ago.

I was able to finally get it to work so so far it's ok. Hopefully battery doesn't die out that quick.