I really cant see this being a problem but double checking is good

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jnm

by jnm

Pulled a spoke on my stock Giant PSLR-1 hoops. I have been eyeing the Ardennes + and wheel builder has the Belgium + rim for pretty cheap. The Giant's are 16/20 and the Belgium looks like only 20 hole min so I can't do the fronts, but for the rear how about lacing up these Belgiums to the stock Giant hub which is supposedly a 240? Wheel builder thinks they can do it.

The other question is clearance. Can't see it being an issue but rear clearance on a 25mm wide rim on a 2015 (older style) Giant TCR Advanced SL? I used to run 25c tires so can't be an issue but checking if anyone's done it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Perhaps repost in the "wheels" subforum.

Should get some opinions there.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

kulivontot

by kulivontot

If you're going to go through the effort of rebuilding the wheel and buying a whole new set of spokes, it's probably not worth keeping the stock hubs vs. something lighter from bikehubstore.com or similar. Unless of course the new rim is magically the exact same ERD as the old one and you can re use all the old spokes.

grover

by grover

Your Giant PSLR-1 rear hub with DT Swiss internals is much nicer than any of the generic asian hubs such as those branded as bikehubstore. The only difficulty I can see is getting the right spoke length due to the strange flanges on the Giant hub. That's not your problem though so if the wheel builder is confident in building the wheel then go for it.

The question is the longevity of a low profile 20 hole rear wheel in general (or a 16 hole front wheel). Personally I feel like that's not enough spokes but plenty of people seem ok with it.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I'm with grover. If you're sub 60kg then maybe a 20h rear is ok. You could also find a replacement hoop from giant. Or just sell the wheels for parts and build up a set with the belgium + maybe

hlvd

by hlvd

Are the wheels still under Giant warranty? Could make a claim?

moonoi

by moonoi

natefontaine wrote:I'm with grover. If you're sub 60kg then maybe a 20h rear is ok. You could also find a replacement hoop from giant. Or just sell the wheels for parts and build up a set with the belgium + maybe

I have the same P-SLR1 wheelset, when I started using them with my old TCR 2 years ago, I was 125Kg, I'm now down to 105Kg and the wheels have only needed to be trued once, when an a taxi decided to crash in to me. Seems 16/20 is fine regardless of weight, the Giant distributor in Thailand also told me there is no weight limit on this wheelset.

Not sure why so many think it isn't enough for larger riders...

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I'm a light guy at 145lbs but whenever I break something I accept something about my riding style is too much for the part and upgrade to something stronger. In your case I'd just accept 20 is far too few and go to 24 or 28 rear and 20 or 24 front. The added weight is pretty negligible but the added durability is significant.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com