Aero Bike Shootout

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

With next season in mind, I'm beginning to look around for an aero road bike. This will replace my crit bike as well as be my primary racing rig so I'd ideally focus on something used that I can pick up a frameset for $2K or less.

Has anyone demo'd a few they can provide feedback on?

Right now, I have my eye on:

Pre-2014 S5 unless I can find a post 2014 S5 for under $2K
Pros: One of the fastest aero bikes. Easy cabling. VWD is relatively light. Geo is the same as my R5ca.
Cons: Spotty feedback on HT stiffness and horizontal rigity. Ride harshness
In other words, should I really be trying to get a post 2014 instead?

Post 2014 Cervelo S3
Pros: Almost as aero as an S5, good comfort and handling. Geo is close to R5ca. Cheaper
Cons: ?

BMC TMR01
Pros: Good blend of ride quality and stiffness
Cons: Not as aero as the S5/S3. Integrated brakes with difficult cable routing. Heavy?

I don't think I can get the Felt AR geo to work for me. The Madone and Venge are too expensive for what I need it for.

I'm torn between the 3 above, so real world feedback would be appreciated.

KarlC

by KarlC

What size do you need ?

How about his BMC TMR02 frame for $900 or less ? You might like the front brake better ......

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bop/5557821306.html

TMR01 / Dura Ace Full Bike $3.5K

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/5559799359.html

2014 Felt AR3 bike frameset $1200 OBO .......

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/b ... 98403.html

AR3 Full bike $2k ......

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bop/5548448991.html
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Thanks KarlC, keep forgetting to check CL. TMR02 should have been on the list above assuming the ride characteristics are similar. Ideally looking for something with about 52-54cm of stack and 37cm or so of reach, so something close to a Cervelo 51.

KarlC

by KarlC

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Might wanna walk in to Centric after Montrose tomorrow (if you're doing it), they have Scott Foils and everything is 50% off since they're closing up. Haven't actually checked if they have anything in your size though.

Giant Propel! They're out of my scope since the insane stack they have, which would be great for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182105778111

You could probably send him an offer for lower. Sell the wheels and bars for like 700 bucks if you want.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'll stop by Centric today. I can get a good deal on Propels but I don't want an isp since it'll make traveling a pita and feedback on the brakes have been terrible.

Anyone with ride feedback on both the new and old S5 model care to chime in?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I personally think the old Foil is a great looking bike if it's an option. I have a bunch of teammates on them.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

New and old Cervelo S5 is night and day. New S5 has the aero of the old one, but huge stiffness increases everywhere. I like the lower headtube personally, and it's fantastic out of the saddle. Ride comfort is as good as anything I've ridden.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Not to be 'that guy' (I ride a Venge), but how important do you really think aerodynamics are in a crit? 99% of the time you are behind someone, or at least you should be.. unless in a solo break/attack. The remaining .5% is the sprint. You could probably get away with getting a cheaper aluminum frame like an Allez and then doing a pretty rad build on it.

With that said, I love my Venge and if given the choice between regular and 'aero' bike I don't see why you wouldn't choose the aero one. Allez Sprint is another slightly aero option. I would stay away from the BMC, they are NOT good crit bikes. Not first hand experience, but a few friends had S3's and loved them.
Last edited by seanblurr on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram @seanblurr

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

seanblurr wrote:Not to be 'that guy' (I ride a Venge), but how important do you really think aerodynamics are in a crit? 99% of the time you are behind someone, or at least you should be.. unless in a solo break/attack. The remaining .5% is the sprint. You could probably get away with getting a cheaper aluminum frame like an Allez and then doing a pretty rad build on it.

In the sprint or in a break, aero is king. You pretty much do one or the other to win a crit.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

justkeepedaling wrote:
seanblurr wrote:Not to be 'that guy' (I ride a Venge), but how important do you really think aerodynamics are in a crit? 99% of the time you are behind someone, or at least you should be.. unless in a solo break/attack. The remaining .5% is the sprint. You could probably get away with getting a cheaper aluminum frame like an Allez and then doing a pretty rad build on it.

In the sprint or in a break, aero is king. You pretty much do one or the other to win a crit.

I'm not denying it doesn't play a factor, but marketing has us up in arms over it thinking it's a bigger deal than it really is. There is a lot more into winning a crit then an aero bike.
Instagram @seanblurr

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

justkeepedaling wrote:New and old Cervelo S5 is night and day. New S5 has the aero of the old one, but huge stiffness increases everywhere. I like the lower headtube personally, and it's fantastic out of the saddle. Ride comfort is as good as anything I've ridden.

Of course. Positioning, determining when to go, avoiding the crashes, maintaining speed in cornering all are far bigger parts. But when you decide to go with the other guy and you're throwing your guts out, an extra 15 watts or more could make the difference.

This was the general thought process in the day: Regular jersey is fine, aero wheels not good, helmet doesn't need to be aero, handlebars should be round, etc etc. You're giving up a ton of watts if you race with kit from the 90s.

Now we are at the frame. In time, it will come.

Claims from companies like Trek, Cervelo, and Felt. They're not marketing. They've been vetted time and time again in independent tests.

Other companies are not yet on that level (Specialized is, but I hate their guts, their claims are somewhat exaggerated as well). Canyon is in the ballpark.

Not all aero is made equal.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'll be using this for road races too. I mentioned crits because it will be replacing my crit bike so replacement cost and handling are important.

Granted, I've been on "slow" handling bikes and fast handling bikes and after 15 minutes of adjustment, I don't notice it anymore.

mrgray

by mrgray

i went down this road for crits (still on it in fact) and got an s3 on basis of aero benefits but decent ride. the saddle mount is perhaps not the greatest design ever and the seatpost is prone to slippage in my experience. together these added up to a bit of a disaster for me, however that experience may well be an outlier. i have spoken with other people with issues, not as severe (or terminal) as mine, but obvs there are also many many happy people out there.

what about an Oltre though?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

KarlC

by KarlC

RyanH any updates, did you find what you where looking for ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com