2015 Cervelo S5 suggestions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thumper88

by thumper88

So far, its set up with Di2 9000, Omega tririg x in front, 9000 caliper rear, standard 3T team stem, std S5 aerobars, Zipp 404 NSW (1505 grams), AX Leaf Plus saddle, Rotor 3D-plus crank, QXL time trial rings, ultegra chain, dura ace 11/28 cassette (yes I need 28 where I am).
My next step is to replace the 9000 rear caliper with an ee cycle works one.

The heavy parts I need to keep include the QXL rings, the wheels and to a degree the factory bars, though they aren't too porky. Most of those decisions are based on keeping things aero. The tririg in front is pretty light and also is aero.

But where else can I get some weight out? In particular, I'm looking at the crankset... trying to figure out a light, stiff option that will mount QXLs... Pedals too, Look Keos. I cant run the blades as I need to be able to clip out without a lot of pressure due to knee issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Time Xpresso are very light and easy to clip out.

cobrakai

by cobrakai

What about some of the smaller, less expensive items? Things like Ti skewers, light carbon cages, something like Jagwire elite links for brake cabling.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I'd go for stem, pedals, cables.

What's the current weight right now?

Junior7

by Junior7

Our excellent this.

Will spend a lot of money to download very little weight.

964Cup

by 964Cup

It's hard to take weight out of the S-series. My S5 is kilos heavier than my R5Ca. Crank is a good place to look - either a K-Force Light BBRight or BB386, or a THM Carbones. Otherwise accessories - brake housing, skewers, cages etc. Maybe Speedplay pedals with Ti spindles and butterflies - better for your knees, too. Small gains from a SRAM XG cassette (or Recon, but expect a short life) and a KMC SL chain.

sawyer

by sawyer

Personally would leave the DA rear caliper on performance and aesthetic grounds

Bottles and cages and QRs yes ...

FYI the Elite Crono cage an bottle is 93g combined and aero (supposedly) but at any rate that
is lighter than all but the most extreme WW cage plus standard 500ml bottle
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

thumper88

by thumper88

sawyer wrote:Personally would leave the DA rear caliper on performance and aesthetic grounds

Bottles and cages and QRs yes ...

FYI the Elite Crono cage an bottle is 93g combined and aero (supposedly) but at any rate that
is lighter than all but the most extreme WW cage plus standard 500ml bottle

The crank area seems like the best place right now... Ive got an aero bottle and cage Ive tied out (tacx) but bottle has popped out twice on a bump, so out of concern for safety of those around me in the pack I won't be using one of those... the carbon ribcages I have (sanded down a bit) work great and are really light.
As to the aesthetics and function of the rear caliper, which someone mentions above... yeah, the ee is visually an acquired taste and the idea of putting one on the front of an aero frame seems to be a bad idea... but it functions about as well as the 9000, very very very close, and in the rear will be more aero as the cable enters the ee from an angle near the middle, and so there is no chunk of side pull caliper sitting out in the wind.
Seems ideal for this purpose on an S5 in fact and ee will sell you just a rear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com