Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod build - suggestions please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

island

by island

@VTR1000SP2 - thanks, but having watched this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDyo6GhkTc8 I am not so sure about my decision! I guess I can get a bigger ranged cassette :
11/28
11/32
12/25

Currently I have been running 50/34 with 11/23 and it has been fine (9sp Ultegra cassette). The biggest hill here is 330 feet / 100 metres at 7%.

I'll try it and see how I get on...

This is informative - http://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Thanks,
Ed

island

by island

Have ordered a Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Threaded Abec-3 BB
(http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf ... black.html)

I was reading around and from what I've read the threaded PF30's might be a better design.

Actually quite hard to find the newer threaded types in stock in the UK.

I found the ceramic and angular ones were all out of stock and available in mid June... anyway tracked down the threaded abec one and hoping it will work out.

I noticed that the notched flange on the outside for screwing in might add a bit of width to the installation - not sure if this will be an issue.

Another part ordered... slow going...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

island

by island

Bars
Ordered bars / stem / tool:

3T Ergonova Team (44cm) [£149][probably 200g+]
3T Arx II Team (110mm 6+/-) [£30][~125g]
KT012 tool (sisl2 lock ring tool) [£37]

Nearly went for the Ritchey Superlogic II + C260 alloy stem but liked the shape of the Ergonova more - purely subjective!

Read about the clamp on the Deda Superlogic stem potentially causing cracking issues so avoided that.

Looked at the Fizik bars and stems and they look nice but hard to work out the drop/shapes of the bars.

Saddles
Have decided on a Fizik Arione saddle but am not sure on the model.
Currently I have the most basic one - 225g Arione/Kium but this will stay on the old CAAD8.

Arione 00 - £203 / 140g (too much cash for me.)
Arione R1 Braided - £131 / 145g
Arione R3 Braided - £99 / 165g (but can only find in black and red... not keen!)
Arione R3 - £81 / 185g

So the braided carbon rails take out some road buzz?
Am I likely to crack the carbon rails (~90kg)?

What is the best seat post for a Fizik Arione with Supersix Evo 2015 (27.2mm)?

Thanks for any advice,
Ed

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

why not keep with 3T team for the seatpost?

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

island

by island

3T team is the obvious choice, but does it work well with the Fizik saddles and in particular if I go for the carbon rails version?
Or is there s better fit with the carbon rails and a Fizik seat post?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Not sure it matters unless you have a specific concern. I've used many different seat posts and saddle combinations. Even the ubiquitous Cannondale competition alloy with a Saevid alien saddle. The most unlikely pairing I can think of.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

island

by island

Fizik Arione R1 carbon rails ordered....(black).

Was going to get a 3T seat post but from reading around it looks like there is compatibility issues with the Fizik carbon braided rails - at least on wiggle there are comments that you need to buy a separate adapter for oval rails.

Quite a few 3T seat posts... time to hit google & do some reading...

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I've always stuck with seatposts with clamps that come from above and below. Never fails to work

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

island

by island

Seatposts
If I stick with 3T then the Ionic is a sort of barrel mechanism (Difflock - I'd need the oval barrel at an extra cost) and the Stylus is the two part above/below clamp.

The Fizik Cyrano 00/R1 are above/below clamps (and I would imagine have been made for the Fizik braided saddle - so no issues).

I had a look at the Ritchey seatposts too... I found a WCS Carbon UD 2-bolt seatpost fr 84 euros/~£65.
The price seems good but there have been a few bad reviews (slippage on the rails)...

(The 'yoked' seatposts look interesting - like Schmolke / Tune / Mcfk etc but this build is not my 'dreambike'... next time).

Guess I'll go with the 3T Ionic or 3T Stylus (hopefully with as little branding/red as I can find!).

---

Bars/Stem
The bars and stem arrived. I got the standard 3T Arx II Team stem (alloy) and 3T Ergonova team (carbon).
They both have a red stripe that doesn't look too good with the green/white/black frame!
I should have paid more attention but the standard red stripe was cheaper I think.
Anyway, will try it and maybe mask off the red bit on the stem and respray - it's a small area.
Bar tape will cover up most of the bar graphics/colour.

---

Drive
Think I am doing an about-face on the Campy drive and am strongly considering DuraAce now.
The SISL2 is very nice!
Waiting on a Wheels Manuf. threaded PF30 : ( http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf ... black.html )

---

Tape
Looked at Lizard Skins / Supacaz.
Like the Cavendish Supacaz - black with little green dots - should match the frame but is twice the cost of Lizard Skins.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

You could always strip off the red bits on the stem and wrap the bar like Wiggo.. All the way to the stem.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

island

by island

Couldn't find a 3Tseatpost that I liked. The Ionic seemed heavy / had to buy an oval rail adapter or d1ck around with fettling. The Stylus just looks ugly (imo).

Looked at the Hope carbon post - looks very nice.

But went with a Deda Superleggero post that was cheap and looked nice - will de-badge it/sand it down/recoat etc - should work out. If it doesn't work out then I'll go for the Hope one.

Checked out the Campy groupset but didn't like the thumb button.
Also there was a deal on the Dura Ace so I went with DA9000 based on cost - this will be a fast/functional bike rather than a beautiful italian wonder.

Got DA9001 shifters / rest is DA9000 apart from the cassette which is Ultegra 6800 - I went for the 11-28 teeth one which should give me a good spread of gears with the 52/36 SISL2.

Got the DA gear and brake cable pack too.

Getting there...

Just need bar tape ... oh, and wheels, damn. Now my plan to get Shamal/Bora One is out of the window (unless I cycle with a paper bag of shame over my head).

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

dura ace wheels seems the only logical choice

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Having recently built up a Supersix evo Hi-Mod myself, I went for SRAM Force + SiSL2 crankset. I did consider Campag Chorus myself, but just thought the SRAM would better suit the Dale' styling.

I noticed you are considering Shamals. There are pretty good deals on Fulcrum Zeros and Racing Quattro carbons right now! Same wheels but with Shimano friendly looks.

island

by island

Thanks MikeyBe & VTR1000SP2,

The Dura Ace C35 are on the list - the key points seem to be comfort/reliability/ease of maintenance... but they just don't look sexy to me! (But this is a functional build rather than a bling build - hopefully still at a light weight but probably not all-out WWeenie).

I looked at the Fulcrum wheels but I'm not familiar with the range - will read...

In general though, is it better to go for the newer ETRO 17c or stick with the 15c for this frameset?
The 2015 SS Evo seems to be limited to an actual real measurement of 24mm tires (is that correct) so my plan is to use GP4000II 23mm tires (which measure up to a real size of something like 24mm).
If I choose an ETRO 17c wheelset then will the extra rim width mean that the height is reduced slightly? i.e. does this mean that I can fit a larger tire - maybe one that has a real measurement of 25mm?
Overthinking?! Definitely!

Thanks.... down to the wheelset and bar tape now.
Ed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com