Newbie quick release question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

walker009

by walker009

Hi.

Do not know the first thing about putting a wheel on a bike but I want to know how to do it, so please help.

Fitting my front wheel onto my bicycle via quick release, the quick release is on the non drive side, I've put the skewer, along with the spring, into this right side. now I go to tighten the bolt and it there's not much to tighten into, if that makes sense! pics below. what am I doing wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

walker009

by walker009

On the bottom picture it just feels as though the bolt will tighten but it just feels like it's too tight onto the fork, if that makes sense, as opposed to tightening the whole quick release system..

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It seems like you are missing a part of the hub. there should be a cap that goes over the bearing (red seal on inside the hub) that will create a shoulder for the fork to stand on. It seems to be there on the other side of the hub.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

walker009

by walker009

That's exactly what I'm thinking. There seems to be nothing on the non quick release sided or the fork to 'rest on', thus making it near impossible to tighten bolt...

Please can somebody (with a TCR) come forward and tell me I'm missing a part of my hub. I'm 99.9% sure it's that and it's driving me mad.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

***Danger***

Do not ride. Defective hub. Who the chuffin' hell is selling bikes like that? Or is this a wind-up?

mimason

by mimason

As stated. Missing critical parts.....very unsafe. Looks like it will bind and destroy parts before you take a pedal stroke.

walker009

by walker009

Guys, only thing I can think of when I first unpacked it, there were these kinda safety plastic things over both hubs on both wheels, looked something like this>>

What I am looking for won't have came off with this will it? Faulty hub eh?

mimason

by mimason

You are missing something similar to this.

http://cdn.modernbike.com/256/main_2126216050.jpg

Right side image in this pic.
http://www.labicicletta.com/media/catal ... body-2.jpg

walker009

by walker009

What. On. Earth.

mimason

by mimason

^ That is just for shipping use. Again, you need to find the rest of the parts.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

The part you need has come off with the large disc packaging, I can see it on there in that picture. Not hugely uncommon. It can be quite hard to get off.

But for your own safety take your bike to a bike shop before you ride it dear god.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, the end cap of the hub is stuck in the plastic protector. Just needs to be pulled out and inserted back in the hub. But totally agree with OliverRB... Take it to someone who knows what they are doing to at least give you a run down of some very basic things you should know before throwing a leg over that thing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

walker009

by walker009

Jeez. My bad. First road bike etc. Front wheel is on and all good.