Bars for Campy 11 levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Any advice on setting up Campy 11 levers? I couldn't seem to get them comfortable on my litespeed T1 and when I compared to my older Litespeed Ghisallo running Chorus 10 speed I could see why. The lever hood sits about 10 mm higher on the new levers.

The height at the bar top is pretty much the same on both bikes and I have the Superlegerras rotated forwards as much as I can. I can't drop the bars any more as I have no spacers left to romove. I have tried rotating the bars further round but as the bars (Deda Superlegerra) have integrated cable holes I can't get the levers any further back. Tempted to try the old Deda Newton Shallow's I have on the Ghisallo but don't want to have 2 unridable bikes at the moment.

Are new shape bars just like this as everyone seem to want to ride around with their hoods pointing skywards like a pair of antlers??
Attachments
T1 with Superlegerra bar.jpg
Ghisallo with Newton bar.jpg
Last edited by cmcdonnell on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Looks perfect to me. It makes for a very comfortable position when riding on the hoods. I had the opposite problem with my 3T bars. I wanted the levers a touch higher so I had to rotate the bars upward.

You can always just route the cables under the bar, under the bar tape and not use the internal routing holes. In retrospect I wish I had done that because it was a PITA to route the cables. Plus, it took me forever to route the cables.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Sorry the Ghisallo picture did not attach. Fair point about the cables.

AJS914

by AJS914

Mine look like this now:

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

What bars are they? your bars do curve round nicely and give a slight drop to the hoods which is what I want

AJS914

by AJS914

3T Ergonova Team Stealth carbon bars. 80mm reach. Like I said, the levers are at the top most position on the bars (because of the routing holes). They could probably slide down 1/2" more.

(The Ergonova have the flatish top section.)

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Here are mine on Ergonova's as well. I have my hoods pulled back pretty high on purpose, they could drop quite a bit if needed.

Instagram @seanblurr

tommasini

by tommasini

It's not the hand resting point of the new 11 spd levers that changed all that much - its your bars. Your older bars immediately slope down from the tops. the newer bars come out flat from the tops. When I was in a similar situation (going from a 3T Rotundo to 3T Ergonova) I decided that since I ride mostly on the levers that I wanted the lever height identical to the prior height. I don't remember the exact amount but I ended up dropping my stem/bars by about 15 - 20 mm. Since my new bars (and yours) are a shallow drop, the net result was the levers in same position and the drops in same position. Plus I like the lower tops!! Win win!!

oh.....it took a -17 degree stem to get the drop I needed - as like the OP I was already down low on the headset.
Last edited by tommasini on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think I know what you're getting at @cmcdonnel. I really don't like the bars and hoods angled ever upwards to the sky, like a pair of antlers as you describe. I really like a classic shaped bar, that ramps down a bit to the hoods, and a curve that allows easy access to the levers from almost anywhere. And some bars fit certain levers better than others as well. Do you like a flat ramp to the hoods, where the hoods are pretty much on the same level as the bars by the stem? Or a bit of a ramp down to the hoods, as I do? I like to get lower as I move from the tops to the hoods to the drops, not higher.

You might like the Deda Zero 100 SHALLOW bars. I'm not "yelling", that's how it's written on their logo, and they're really not shallow at all by todays standards. They have a drop of 135mm and a reach of 80mm and are the nicest classic shape that I'm aware of. I had the 3T Rotundos before and they're pretty close, but these curve in a bit sooner from the hoods to the stem area giving your wrists a bit more room when you're in the drops etc.

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stormur

by stormur

AJS914 wrote:3T Ergonova Team Stealth carbon bars. 80mm reach.

It's not 80. In real life it is/feels like 90+. It is loong reach bar. Ergosum is veeery looong reach bar ( bar for people who bought way to short frame and already have 140mm stem ) .

And Ergonova 42cm is 40.2 cm ;) Italian measurements.

I use now Easton EC90 SLX3 bar - fits perfectly to campy levers, Fizik bars are... "incompatible" IMO. Deda from my experience is easiest to set up with Campa. It just fits.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

helldiver

by helldiver

I have fizik cyrano R3 snake bars (380mm, 125mm drop, 80mm reach) and campy levers fit just fine on them, i find the hood position quite comfortable. The only thing i wish for, would be little larger drop, 130-135mm would be ideal - http://imgur.com/aT8newR

AJS914

by AJS914

stormur wrote:It's not 80. In real life it is/feels like 90+. It is loong reach bar. Ergosum is veeery looong reach bar ( bar for people who bought way to short frame and already have 140mm stem ) .

They feel like 80mm to me. I had 85mm bars before and these feel shorter.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Ergonova are 77mm reach.
Instagram @seanblurr

stormur

by stormur

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

stormur wrote:http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews-and-testing/road-handlebar-review/

They MEASURED reach ; 90mm.

But strangely, Fairwheel decided to use the least common approach to measuring reach used by most manufacturers when they publish reach/drop measurements (center of tops to center of drops at furthest edge of arc). Instead instead they used the following: "We decided to level the field here by measuring them all to the same standard. With the drops horizontal to the ground the reach is measured from the center of the top (where the bar mounts into the stem) to the leading edge of the vertical drop (where the lever would mount)."