Extending the life span of carbon wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chris47

by chris47

Alright, i got myself some carbon wheels hat i would like to have around for a decently long time, but every time i finish a rainy ride i see a tiny bit of grey dust around the brake track.
I often clean the brake pads in order to remove shrapnel and stuff.
What kinds of tips and tricks do you guys have?

stormur

by stormur

Clean pads & rim when it's dirty ( basically after every ride ), if it's clincher decrease pressure between rides to 3-4 bars, service/ check hubs reasonably often... Nothing will last forever :( .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Get some cheaper winter wheels for rainy rides.

chris47

by chris47

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but how would decreasing the tire pressure of a carbon clincher extend its life span?

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Well depends how long you plan on keeping these. I have a set of 3 year old carbon clinchers I bought from china.

They have been ridden like they where stolen, crashed them, brake track is scratched(from crashing) and melted brake pads on descents.
They are still alive and asking for more. I used to use Yellow Swiss stops, and am now on the black price (much better).

chris47

by chris47

Just out of curiosity, do you guys also get the grey dust when riding in the rain or is it a one off problem with my wheels?
Extra info: I am riding giant pslr0 full carbon wheels (clinchers)

stormur

by stormur

Decreasing pressure in tires, you decrease pressure to rim sidewalls. Common knowledge and common practice.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Multebear

by Multebear

chris47 wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you guys also get the grey dust when riding in the rain or is it a one off problem with my wheels?
Extra info: I am riding giant pslr0 full carbon wheels (clinchers)

How do you find dust on your wheels after a rainy ride :roll:

My advice would be to have a training wheelset - some kind of cheaper alluminum rims, and use your carbon wheels only on good days. As stated before. Nothing lasts forever. And besides that, if you don't have the urge to upgrade or replace your wheels after some time, then you should consider yourself as lucky. I don't think I have completely worn any bikeparts at all. Out of boredom I've always upgraded before they were worn completely.
Last edited by Multebear on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I had never heard of anyone decreasing the pressure in their wheels after a ride.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I believe the pads that come with the recent Giant's are grey so that would explain the dust. Similar things happen with Reynolds blue pads. :)
Ride it like you stole it

salesguy

by salesguy

I too have never heard of anyone decreasing pressure for the explicit purpose of extending the lifespan of the rim. I've also never once heard a manufacturer recommend that.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

stormur wrote:Decreasing pressure in tires, you decrease pressure to rim sidewalls. Common knowledge and common practice.

Hmmm... Not where I'm from lol.

Grey dust after rain riding? Ha! I wish that's all there was. Muck, is more like it. I think people baby their carbon rims too much. The stuff is far harder than aluminum it seems. I've never even seen a carbon rim yet where the rim has been worn through from braking, no matter the weather. Not talking about delamination here, but just wear from braking. I just try to keep them relatively clean. Oh, and immediately after every ride I'll wrap them in swaddling cloths that have been steaming in an aromatic mixture of Vaseline and lavender while I was out on my ride. Common practice here. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mimason

by mimason

I rack my bike with the wheels suspended in the air so I dont put too much pressure on the wheels when not riding and chant out the door like a monk. It works.

drchull

by drchull

Given the force that the rims are made to resist from braking I really doubt that sitting at the 80psi I ride at will adversely affect the rim in any way. More likely that it would help the tires sidewall longevity, though this is not likely a problem for a bike ridden frequently as the rubber will wear down before the sidewalls degrade.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

A question along a similar braking issue. Does anyone know how the new Campy/ Fulcrum red brake pads work on an Enve carbon tubular. Kinda sick of swapping out pad holders ( 10 minsI know but). Thanks