Most competitive bicycle for a noob?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JunkyCollegeBiker18

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

Hey weenies

I'm an intermediate cyclists that's about to make the jump into competition and I'm planning on buying a new bike to better suit my needs. Coming off a 2008 Caad10 I bought ballin' on a budget, I've got my options narrowed down to the 2016 Cervelo R3, 2016 Cervelo S3, and 2016 TCR Advanced Pro 1. All are fitted with mech ultegra.

I ride at least 100 miles a week and plan on doing road races but possibly Tri's and crits in the future too.

As a college rider I've saved up a lot of money. The R3 is $3000, the TCR is $3000, and the S3 is $3200.

I've ridden all 3 bikes and am pretty stuck on which one to get. Which do you guys think will be the fastest? How does stiffness and compliance on these bikes compare? Which is the most bang for your buck? I'm a little too heavy at 6"1 and 182, should this have any impact in which bike I choose? I'm leaning towards the S3 right now because I'm in Bloomington, IN with fairly flat roads and a few climbs. I want the be the fastest I can be, just not sure if I should lean towards an aero frame or not.

Any advice helps. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

S3.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

I can only assume you mean CAAD9, as the CAAD10 wasn't made until 2011. Anyway, keep the CAAD9. It's light, stiff, and will put you in an aero position. Great for a bigger rider.

Spend the money on some nice parts or some nice wheels and tyres.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

S3 gets my vote. Totally matches what you want to do in the future and where you ride

junchen

by junchen

S3. Possible for u to just buy the frame alone?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

JunkyCollegeBiker18

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

junchen wrote:S3. Possible for u to just buy the frame alone?

I'm sure I could find a decent priced frame somewhere. Why do you suggest that?

kwm24

by kwm24

S3 is the best choice in my opinion. Are you a little 500 rider? if so what team?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Of the 3, I'd go S3, but would really suggest racing the CAAD instead. Race what you can replace and all that.

JunkyCollegeBiker18

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

kwm24 wrote:S3 is the best choice in my opinion. Are you a little 500 rider? if so what team?

Haha yes I am, I'm racing for my frat Phi Delta Theta. Next year would be my first race though because we had 4 senior riders this year.

stormur

by stormur

No particular bike will make you faster. I'm best example of it :mrgreen:

loosing weight & training will make you faster :welcome:

Choose what you like most. By heart, not by mind. Nothing will slow you down like bike which you don't like by whole heart. Really.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I recommend you stick with your current bike, no serious point to upgrade. A CAAD basically IS the crit bike.

han1337

by han1337

I would spend my money with the following priorities:

1) give your bike a bit of a overhaul at the bikeshop, so it feels like new again (maybe 200)
2) powermeter - stages v2 (gives you more bang for your buck) (about 700)
3) some deep section wheels, will get you more aero gains than the new bike can (maybe 1200)
4) keep some money in the bank, in case you destroy your bike in a crit, so you can replace it

you could probably afford all of the above and have some money at the bank for a "rainy" crit day :D

otherwise the comments above are very good, focus on training and weight - your bike isnt going to hold you back

JunkyCollegeBiker18

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

han1337 wrote:I would spend my money with the following priorities:

1) give your bike a bit of a overhaul at the bikeshop, so it feels like new again (maybe 200)
2) powermeter - stages v2 (gives you more bang for your buck) (about 700)
3) some deep section wheels, will get you more aero gains than the new bike can (maybe 1200)
4) keep some money in the bank, in case you destroy your bike in a crit, so you can replace it

you could probably afford all of the above and have some money at the bank for a "rainy" crit day :D

otherwise the comments above are very good, focus on training and weight - your bike isnt going to hold you back

I appreciate the advice. Maybe this is the route I go after all. Although crits aren't my priority I still feel confident on my Caad10 on any type of road race.

junchen

by junchen

Would suggest the S3 frame, so u can customise each n every part on the bike. Not v impressed with the stock fsa cranks and finishing kit, and mavic cosmic elite wheels (at least in my local distributor).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

As a former college racer, I'd agree with no need to spend big money on a bike... yet. Even now in my first job alot of the more cash strapped racers dont drop big money on bikes... there are better ways around it.

Get a good bike fit, power meter, race wheels, and a bike service. if necessary, future proof the bike by going to 11 speed. that will cost you way less than $3200. Some clip ons if you are going to do tris. pick up a semi-aero helmet and skinsuit if you need to do TTs. The CAAD 10 is a very capable race bike in itself, more than capable in road races and crits and tris. Learn to use that powermeter and you will be getting much faster than any bike will make you. use the money saved to TRAVEL to races, and you will become a much better racer from the experience.

After you get some good results and turn heads you might get people who will be willling to partially sponsor you, or sell you stuff cheap. thats when you pick up a carbon frame for a screaming deal. At least thats what I did....

Another option would be the second hand market. grab a nice, hardly used frame from a dentist or lawyer who has upgrade lust and build your bike around it.