Speedplay zero nanogram pedals question.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erhar

by Erhar

Hello, i'd like to ask a question about the durability of these pedals. I've read that they're "race day only" pedals. Does this mean that riding a bicycle for 50-60km twice a week, is too much for them to last more than a year or two? Does their durability extend if their use is not too hard (extreme pedaling) while riding? What about their serviceability?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

From what I understand, this claim has to do with the aluminum plates being less durable than steel.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Erhar

by Erhar

Yes, but how much "less durable"? Does somebody know?

BmanX

by BmanX

I only ride on Speedplay pedals. I bought used SS version and then bought Ti bolts, aluminum and ti butterflies and new ti spindles. They were significantly cheaper going this route and weigh less than the Nano's. My modified pair weigh in at 122g for the pair. Nano's are a waste of money when you can build your own for less money and lighter.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Serviceability? Ask Speedplay since they will not sell you parts. You must send in your pedals and they will service them for you.

How long do the alloy inserts last? At least a year is what I found. The longest I found was 2 years. The ti versions last very long. I have yet to wear one out.

Buying the factory version is not cheap, making your own is substantially cheaper and potentially just as good.

Rick

by Rick

When speedplays first came out, the entire body was aluminum. Yes, the bow-tie areas did wear, but it probably lasted 2 years at the most, riding about 8000 miles er year.
The second generation switched to steel, which has a much longer life.

Since then, speedplay also changed the cleat design so that it is a flattened steel "C-clip" rather than a round wire providing the clip-in. So that would also promote better wear and longer life. But I still wouldn't expect nanograms to be a many-year pedal.

Somebody once said that if you are going to have an F1 mentality and race F1 equipment, then you also need an F1 maintenance schedule and budget.

ms6073

by ms6073

Butcher wrote:Ask Speedplay since they will not sell you parts.

What parts are you finding are not available? In the US, while the parts tend to be somewhat expensive, I have found Excel Sports lists SS spindles, bearings, and rebuild kit for the Zero.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

BmanX

by BmanX

You can find all of the spare parts you need at various sites. You just have to look.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

mythical

by mythical

I once ordered alu butterflies that didn't quite fit when I installed them, so I ordered titanium ones elsewhere. It still saved weight but durability is so much better. Like the consensus here, I also don't recommend Nanograms when you can just upgrade the steel (and order aftermarket ti spindles) or titanium version and end up with a better deal that costs less too.

My ideal Speedplay Zero pedal has titanium axles, butterflies and bolts. The only advantage the Zero Nanograms have are the slightly lighter cleats, which can also be ordered separately.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Erhar

by Erhar

Thank you all for your answers, you've been mostly helpful.I suppose that the nanogram version durability depends on how much you clip-unclip the pedal. For example if you ride a lot in the city where you have to clip-unclip in every corner their life will be significantly shorter. On the contrary if you ride in the countryside where you don't have to stop every now and then they'll live much longer.

mythical

by mythical

Don't forget that during a pedal stroke the foot also rotates to a greater or lesser degree. If you have a steel spring sliding on an aluminum surface, guess which part will wear quicker? Lubrication is important as well as keeping the described contact surfaces free of contamination. All this negatively affects durability.

Erhar

by Erhar

As far as I know the spring on the nanogram speedplay is not steel, am I right?

BmanX

by BmanX

As mythical has pointed out, it is much cheaper to buy the basic version of the pedal and then buy yourself some Ti butterflies, Ti bolts and Ti spindles. I just did this as well and all in black. Just need to put them on the builds. With Aluminum butterflies I was able to get my pedals down to 61g each.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

BmanX wrote:As mythical has pointed out, it is much cheaper to buy the basic version of the pedal and then buy yourself some Ti butterflies, Ti bolts and Ti spindles. I just did this as well and all in black. Just need to put them on the builds. With Aluminum butterflies I was able to get my pedals down to 61g each.

That's pretty sweet, 15 grams lighter than mine. TiSpindle spindles, Toronto Cycles red alu bowties, black ano ti bowtie bolts and ti spindle bolts with black Zero bodies. 135grams total

BmanX

by BmanX

The 122g was with Ward Ti Spindles that were the shortest available, alu bowties and Ti bolts. I have since changed them to Black Ti spindles, black ti bowties and ti bolts. I will have to weight them in this config to see what they come out to but they are more like your weight now.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com