Suggestions for building my new Scott Foil 2015 Team bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

holmez

by holmez

I bought a Scott foil Team frame-set, 2015 model. It was almost 50% off price and I hate the 2016 frame look anyway.
I've also bought Syncros RR1.0 Carbon saddle, the black version... It looks very cool and it is also light.
I'll most probably build it with SRAM RED 22 2X11 group set... The eTap is heavier, not really important for me and much more expensive. :?

1- For the wheel-set, I like Zipp 303 look, the Bora One 35 is better in terms of weight and I can buy Leeze wheels from a local shop, they are lighter (1300gm for clincher 38 deep wheels) and cheaper (the set is 1000Euros vs 1500 or 1700 for BORA or ZIPP options).
There are no much feedback online about Leeze wheels which makes me a little worried about buying them.

2- The handlebar and stem...
Zipp Contour SL Bar (190 grams) along with ZIPP Service Course SL Stem (125 grams) are very light weight but they don't come in cheap.
Do you have a better suggestions?

With this the full bike with pedals should be about 6.5 kg which is great for me, compared to my current Boardman Air 9.8 which is 7.5 kg bike :D :D
Also the frame and the wheels choice aren't sacrificing the aerodynamics.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Go with Ritchey stem and bar to match the searpost.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chris14

by chris14

2- The handlebar and stem...
Zipp Contour SL Bar (190 grams) along with ZIPP Service Course SL Stem (125 grams) are very light weight but they don't come in cheap.
Do you have a better suggestions?

I have the Zipp SL bars which i find are great, however I have teamed that with a LYTI stem ( 91grms in 100mm )which is at a really great price.

holmez

by holmez

Peter_E wrote:Go with Ritchey stem and bar to match the searpost.

Thanks, but...
I can go for Syncros to match the saddle or for ZIPP to match the wheels and so on...

Actually I think the Syncros bar/stem cockpit will match the saddle perfectly and will look very cool (and aerodynamic) but it is heavier and more expensive than the other options.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Go 404s, 303s are only a little lighter and not as aero as the 404s. Mine have just weighed in at 1670g for the pair.

Also, the Foil is an aero frame, 303s won't look that great IMO.

Here's my Team IAM Addict with 404s, looks spot on I think: Image
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

holmez

by holmez

ryanw wrote:Go 404s, 303s are only a little lighter and not as aero as the 404s. Mine have just weighed in at 1670g for the pair.

Also, the Foil is an aero frame, 303s won't look that great IMO.

Here's my Team IAM Addict with 404s, looks spot on I think: Image

Yeah, This morning I got some advices to go for ZIPP 404 and Dura-Ace 9000. I only chose SRAM because of the weight but Dura-Ace looks much nicer for me and I heard some feedback that they are a little more stiffer.

What do you think of Dura-Ace?
It is only 189grams more than SRAM RED 22 GXP.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

SRAM Red BB30 1,741g

SRAM Red GXP 1,845g

SRAM Red eTap 1,906g

Shimano DA 9000 1,998g

Very happy with my DA. Hasn't thrown up any issues but miss the active yaw on Red.
I can't index my gears for love nor money, so only have 20 gears working at present lol...

holmez

by holmez

ryanw wrote:SRAM Red BB30 1,741g

SRAM Red GXP 1,845g

SRAM Red eTap 1,906g

Shimano DA 9000 1,998g

Very happy with my DA. Hasn't thrown up any issues but miss the active yaw on Red.
I can't index my gears for love nor money, so only have 20 gears working at present lol...

In Scott foil I've to go for SRAM GXP so the difference in weight with Dura-Ace is not much... I think I'll go for Dura-Ace, and most probably ZIPP 404 clincher wheels (but with black decals).

addict

by addict

easton ec90 aero bars noticeаbly improves aerodynamics of my foil... IMO higher wheels suits for aero benefits and frame proportions - definitеly 404! Sraм red22 rules) Personally highly rate durace shifters lever shape, but thats all))

stormur

by stormur

ryanw wrote:Go 404s, 303s are only a little lighter and not as aero as the 404s. Mine have just weighed in at 1670g for the pair.

1670g for carbon wheelset ? SERIOUSLY ??? And someone complained Vision Metron 40... .

I would build as IAM or Orica - both look great, both Shimano Di2/ mechanical. Orica is on Shimano wheels, IAM on DT Swiss Spline 38/55.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They're 58mm deep clinchers and support riders up to 250lbs... My bike still comes in at under 6.6kg in a 56cm frame. Hardly heavy!

Please show me some wheels that can match that and weigh considerably less.......

stormur

by stormur

Dt Swiss Rc 55 C - 100g less, 1st example. Corima is lighter too. What more important both won't have hub recalled .. ever :mrgreen:

I have currently Dt 38T : 1320g... so 350g lighter :welcome:

You can protest as much as you can. You can even cry. But at some point you have to face the fact : YOUR WHEELS ARE INSANELY HEAVY. And UNRELIABLE. Are your hubs after recall fix, or before ? Other Zipp hubs do not exist :mrgreen:

Aeroness of Zipp is VERY disputable, as every document (and based on it claims) published by Zipp is highly non scientific ; doesn't fulfill ANY condition to be.

Rest of bike components has NOTHING to do with your wheels weight and reliability. I don't discuss it.

My alu clincher ( HED C2, Dt Swiss, 28-24 ) are lighter !!! MUCH LIGHTER . And PROVEN aero :)

Ok, your Zipp's rub pads at any climb and sprint as well - very good wheels, indeed :mrgreen:
Mark Twain

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

DT Swiss are limited to 100kg rider, so no good for me. They're also only 21mm wide.

Shimano C50s are heavier and narrower too.

Corima 47 Aero+ have a 90kg rider limit and not as deep.

And well done on having some 38mm tubs that are lighter than a 58mm clincher................... My 28mm clinchers are lighter than your tubs? Do I win a medal?

Have you personally owned Zipps? Mine are the new 404s with v10 hub. If they break, I'll send them back and buy something else.

By no means am I saying they're the best or lightest wheel, but they are for my needs (104kg rider).......

stormur

by stormur

Relative or non-relative it is heavy wheelset with reputation of constant hub issues ( every new hub is declared as problem free, which is not ) and user opinions of being "soft" on sprints and climbs. Those are undisputable facts. All of it and almost highest price for wheelset on the market make it highly undesirable for anyone who consider wheelset per price for quality & performance markers ( as it basically should be, at the end it is just &only sporting device component, nothing more) . For me ( and not only ) Zipp is just overpriced, extremely well advertised, unreliable product with very disputable ( not proven ) aero value.

You are naturally allowed to have completely different opinion.
Same as you can ignore obvious facts. Your money, your bike, your choice. I wrote "your choice ", not "objectively good choice" ;) .

Another thing is Corima weight limit - just went thru their documentation, and there's nothing about it. If you need custom product from Corima- is very doable - just make special order for wheelset with stroner spokes or more of them and you're done. Try this with basically any other manufacturer ... .

Overall summary : 1.7kg for carbon wheelset ??? No , that's not gonna happened to me. Ever.

Completely another thing : fabulous color scheme of your Scott - my favorite !
Last edited by stormur on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Twain

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Understand your views and I guess we shall see how the new v10s turn out.

I won't hide any issues and if they are crap, I'll buy some Enves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com