Sizing Madone 2016

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pelox

by Pelox

Hi folks

I am in the way to order one of this toys. and having the eternal question wen buying a bike ¿Wich size is the correct?
this canbe clarified with some data about yours situation. Tall/leg lenght/ bike size.

I think that my size is 56 for this bike, but with a inline seatpost and 10 cm stem. My dealer says 54 with normal seat post. With the 54 i will be using it at the limit of the seatpost recomendation.

What are you using boys?
I am 178cm tall and 83cm of leg

Best regards from spain!

Pelox

MRM

by MRM

Spend the money and get a proper bike fit. Will be worth it. That will answer this in the best way possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Get an independent fit, from someone not selling you a bike. But honestly, the bike shop has not reason to push a 54 over a 56.... unless they have a 54 in stock and want to move it out.

Many pros get one size smaller so it has a lower headtube.

I'd also assume if you're looking at a Madone 9, it's not your first road bike.

Pelox

by Pelox

oldnslow2, is not the first roadbike.

I will have to talk with the feeter, but from my last talk with him i could guess that the proper answer is not clear.
Now a days i am riding on Merida Scultura 909evo m/l (close to 56) but i allwais felt that the bike is a a little bit long.

The horrible world of sizing a bike!!
Any data about yours?

thanks to all!
Pelox

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Pelox wrote:Any data about yours?

thanks to all!
Pelox

Mine is a Emonda SLR and it's a 56cm with a 90mm stem. It fits great.

But no two people are bikes are the same. If you feel your current 56 is "long" you could try a shorter stem... or a 54cm. you're fitter should know. If he doesn't, find another shop.

tinozee

by tinozee

Also remember there are two geos with Treks - H1 and H2. The H1 is more long and low. If you are that unsure of your fit then start with getting that done by a pro. I'd also recommend factoring in your fitness and flexibility condition (and what it might be in the future). It is amazing what the body can adapt to over time and with core and stretching work.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

tinozee wrote:Also remember there are two geos with Treks - H1 and H2.

Last time i looked, the only Madone Trek currently is selling is the 9 and it only comes in a H1 fit.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

H1 vs H2: Geometry between the two is the same with the sole exception being the H1 has a shorter headtube. Other than that, the same. Same angles, same wheelbase, etc. For example, in my size (60), the only difference is the H1 headtube is 180mm vs 210mm for the H2. That's quite a difference. The Emonda and Madone have the same geometries. In hindsight I could have probably gone with an H1 (except they don't make it in the SL version) but would have had to use at least a couple centimeters of spacers. With the H2 I run the stem pretty much right on top of the headset top cover. So, depends on how low you want, and are able, to run your front end. Lower the better obviously for aero... just mind the neck and shoulder pain.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Pelox

by Pelox

the only thing i have clear is the geo, in my case will be H2, H1 is very agresive and in adition is linked to a more expensive production process and diferent OCLV. H1 is about 1000 bucks more expensive.

i will check again with the feeter and not with the dealer. i will let you know boys.

albertop07

by albertop07

I am 177cm and use an H2 Madone Size 54cm, slammed (no spacers) and 110mm stem (through Project One). If you buy any regular Madone (not Project One) they will be H2 (except the special team color, which is H1) and the 54cm comes with a 100mm stem.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I'm 178cm, uses a H1 madone size 54 with 130mm Zipp sl sprint stem at -12 degree. Seatmast at the limit too. I'll say it's very safe to take the 54.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pelox

by Pelox

thanks Kayrehn / Albertop07 your info will help to have the decision. Both and me are very similar in cm.
i will let you know the final decision.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

generally Trek will have 2 seat mast lengths to choose from as well... are you maxed out on their longer one?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Yes the Madone 9 has 2 seat lengths to choose from, On the 56 I had to take the taller seat tube but on the 58 the shorter one, I ended up with a 58 as the top tube fit me better.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote. please use the quick reply box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cpark

by cpark

Pelox wrote:thanks Kayrehn / Albertop07 your info will help to have the decision. Both and me are very similar in cm.
i will let you know the final decision.

What size did you end up getting?