Is there a market for non-UCI aero road bikes ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LetsRide

by LetsRide

There are many non-UCI legal triathlon bikes out there. But none of UCI-illegal aero road bikes as I can recall. An aero e-bikes with removable front fairing and rear fairing as a storage box, wheel shielding can go faster with more fun but unable to race in UCI events. Or even retro aero bikes from 80s to 90s. Would you like to buy it if someone dare to sell them ? I am curious.

fUCI Concept Bike by Robert Egger

Lotus 108

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I think someone who wants ultimate aero without regard to racing rules will always choose bullhorn & aerobar over drop bars. The only reason for the "aero road" catagory is to create the most aero bike that's mass start legal.

KarlC

by KarlC

I think it would be cool to have a human powered, motorcycle like, road bike and the fUCI Concept Bike is the closest thing I have seen to that.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Lelandjt wrote:I think someone who wants ultimate aero without regard to racing rules will always choose bullhorn & aerobar over drop bars. The only reason for the "aero road" catagory is to create the most aero bike that's mass start legal.

I think someone who wants ultimate aero without regard to racing rules will always choose a recumbant of HPV :-)

mimason

by mimason

de lars cuevas wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:I think someone who wants ultimate aero without regard to racing rules will always choose bullhorn & aerobar over drop bars. The only reason for the "aero road" catagory is to create the most aero bike that's mass start legal.

I think someone who wants ultimate aero without regard to racing rules will always choose a recumbant of HPV :-)

Ha, good one. We all know no self respecting roadie or WW would ever be caught dead on one....but they are so brutally fast in the flats.

helldiver

by helldiver

Well, i would like to ride recumbent from time-to-time if it's really so effective/fast and i couldn't care less what the others will be thinking about me, but there are couple of issues:

1. Recumbents are generally heavy and suck in hills, i wouldn't trade that for flatland speed.
2. Even more important issue for me, safety when riding on public roads - your head is only maybe 50cm from pavement, so much decreased situational awareness compared to upright bicycle, you can't see over horizon so well, etc. Maybe even worse, you are much more difficult to spot for other (motorized) traffic participants, even with those silly flags (which worsen Cda as well).

So i would still appreciate the most aerodynamic/faired upright bicycle (and i really like the look of the fUCI concept), I'm very curious where it could lead, if it could possibly achieve/surpass the aerodynamic efficiency of TT bike + position combo while still retaining full control with hands on shifters/brakes.

mimason

by mimason

^ They also don't handle well and its really hard to draft behind. Cheater bikes more so than TT bikes in a group ride. That said i dont really mind them as long as they stay out front or in the back.

My comments earlier were more tongue in cheek.

DuncanS

by DuncanS

What about draft legal triathlon?
Not so sure it's a viable market, but it's a potential application.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

LetsRide

by LetsRide

I know that full-faired recumbents are really fast. I guess many people still prefer uprights. I think it might look like motorcycle. Aero fairings will really help reduce CD even riding on hood position, more comfortable than on aerobar. Other benefits of fairings may be partly crash protection. Anyway, removable fairings are welcome. If someone makes a bike like fUCI with 700c wheels ( just worrying about proprietary wheel ), I will get one :D

bungis

by bungis

Hipsters, seriously. I see a few of them on ridiculous aero bikes in my city.

LetsRide

by LetsRide

Personally, I really like design of New Diamondback Andean. May I have options to add front and rear fairings to it ? :-) Looks like it's illegal in Triathlon, isn't it ?
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-48124/

Shrike

by Shrike

Don't really care for my bike being gimped because of the UCI and paying through the nose for it.

Most people on expensive race bikes don't race, so why not spend your money on something incredible and truly advanced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com