Help...carbon post seems to have seized in Ti frame!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rippin

by Rippin

I just spoke with someone at Easton (actually their distributor Veltec) and they didn't really offer any good solutions.
He DID say to NEVER grease a carbon post as the grease will seep into the carbon and cause seizing.

So I sprayed some WD-40 into the seat tube last night and let it sit. This morning I gave it a good twist and it did unbind. I still had to twist it furiously to get it out, but at least it's out now. But the clearcoat on the seatpost is gone - either from the seizing or the extreme amount of twisting I had to do to it. Because there is no more clearcoat I don't feel comfortable in reinserting it into the frame again. Well this seatpost has bit the dust!

I'll most probably have to go to my LBS to get them to ream out any other gunk left on the inside of the seat tube insert before inserting another seatpost. The insert also came out of alignment, so I'll need them to adjust that also.

I don't know if I want to go carbon anymore (for a seatpost) - maybe just another brand? How about the Thomson Masterpiece seatpost?
It's quite light, but the walls may be too thin. I'd hate to dent the seatpost (which I've done with the heavier Thomson post).

I currently have the Deda Blackstick carbon post on my aluminum Casati - I am kind of weary now of it sticking also.

Rippin

by Rippin

mises wrote:The environment can make a big difference. I had a number of aluminum lugged carbon bikes fail on me from galvanic corrosion when I lived in Hawaii and was in salty air all the time - a couple of them in less than 6 months, but I knew people with the same frames that lived in the interior of the US that never had any problems.

I'm on the west coast, Vancouver, B.C. It could be a contributing factor, but the air isn't as salty as Hawaii. I mean, the bike only has about 500 kms on it. It shouldn't seize THAT quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MantraPro

by MantraPro

I have a WR Compositi, and they advise to grease it a little bit with a waterproof product.

bobalou

by bobalou

nicrump wrote:keep it clean and greased. pick a post that has a thicker clear coat. the thinner the clear, the closer home the reaction.

Makes sense. I must admit, there's a bit of difference in opinion here!

:-) said that grease will bond carbon and aluminum. I'm maybe a bit concerned because my training bike is aluminum and am using a carbon post. I'm going to keep a closer eye on it .. might be switching to an alloy post but the carbon takes a notch of harshness out of it.

Joel

by Joel

To Rippen: Maybe you can look into the Extralite Road Post: 139gram and alu. This post isn't yet on the Extralite site, but I think it's a shorter version of ThePost UL: 168g for 27.2*360mm.

Joel

by Joel

did you grease it? grease bonds carbon to aluminium.... you have to very carefull with carbon as its easily penetrated....

I first greased the post with some normal grease, but the post wasn't gripped good enough by the frame. I went to my bike shop and they put som dirty black grease on it, some special grease for carbon seatposts. Normally, when you put grease on the post, you insert it and after that you take the post out of the frame the grease stays in the frame. But that black grease stays on the post.