Tarmac & Venge Owners

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvcap

by mvcap

Upgrading from an old aluminum bike to the modern era! Weighing the Venge Elite (105) against Tarmac Comp (Ultegra) and seeking some input from Tarmac & Venge owners. What do you love about yours / how'd you decide on it?

NealH

by NealH

If you ride flatlands, or spend considerable time at the front of your group then the Venge. If you ride rollers or mountains, and only do your share of pulling then the Tarmac.

Rumor is that the Tarmac is slightly more comfortable, although some owners contest that rumor. Both are excellent bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dez33

by Dez33

Tarmac is more comfortable and better all round bike even with the same groupset. No contest when the venge has a lower spec.

quadlt250

by quadlt250

I'd pretty much break it down to: if you're racing often get the aero bike, otherwise get the Tarmac

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I held out on an Al for 6 years before drinking the carbon koolaid. Ended up going with the venge due to the lower cost. My club team rides the Big S. I view myself as somewhat of a climber type and also love the long solo breaks. So i was happy to get the aero advantage, as minute as it may be, and I dont notice it holding me back on the climbs. I can say I am very pleased with the comfort and speed compared to the Allez. If i wasn't encouraged to ride Spec. I would consider the plethora of other options.

It does seem to be much faster over rough roads compared to my previous rides.

theremery

by theremery

Tarmac...sure... nice bike. Venge....fine if you are only racing flat courses with few turns. It sprints well but is such a pig on descents that I find it hard to consider it as a serious bike. They head-shake regularly, push out at the front horribly on any fast exit and periodically just have a bit of a generalised convulsion when at pace. Generally, a descending horror story. I ditched mine after about a year of trying to sort it out. Went to an S3 (then later paired it up with an S5).
Tarmac is a comfortable and fast bike with good stiffness (not an easy combination with comfort) that sprints well and descends in a confidence inspiring manner.
Venge is a fast flatland racer that is moderately harsh, actually handles OK in tight slow corners (u-turn round a road cone??...no problemo even at moderate pace) Climbs surprisingly well but descends appallingly.
Just my opinion, of course ;)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Tarmac for sure. Very fast and surprisingly comfy.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Sagan picks the tarmac.. even on the flats...

seanblurr

by seanblurr

What size bike? There is a pretty vast difference between small size Venges and larger ones. I ride and race on a 52 Venge and unlike Theremery above it is one of the best handling and descending bikes I have ridden. With that said, I would take a Tarmac Ultegra over your other option.
Instagram @seanblurr

knukkeltje

by knukkeltje

Rather than asking for opinions, I'd ride them both and just choose the one you like best.
I took the Venge (and honestly can't understand why a Tarmac would be a better climbing bike for me), but they're both excellent bikes. The current 105 group is also really good, can't go wrong with that either.

mvcap

by mvcap

This is for a 56, appreciate the input!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Tarmac was much better for me.

Venge has aero advantage and some cool factor in it, tho.

Tarmac was a winner when it comes to climbing hills.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

grilledcheese

by grilledcheese

Nejmann wrote:Sagan picks the tarmac.. even on the flats...

^^ this

Tom14

by Tom14

theremery wrote:Tarmac...sure... nice bike. Venge....fine if you are only racing flat courses with few turns. It sprints well but is such a pig on descents that I find it hard to consider it as a serious bike. They head-shake regularly, push out at the front horribly on any fast exit and periodically just have a bit of a generalised convulsion when at pace. Generally, a descending horror story.
Just my opinion, of course ;)

This guy thinks different ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiv6Y2zh7I

Sagan used the old Venge a lot. But now they have the ViAs, you see almost everybody on a Tarmac.

I used to have an Allez but since I wrecked it in a crash, I've bought a Venge. I'm really impressed by the riding qualities of it.
I use the bike for racing and training and I love the handling and steering. Besides that, it is stiff but not as harsh as I expected. Only the aero seatpost feels a bit harsh compared to a round one. But it doesn't give me any problems on a 4h+ ride.

Climbing goes very well, but descending is even better! Very sharp and predictable.
My girlfriend has a Tarmac, I've ridden it a couple of times and it feels a little bit more lively and agressive I think.
But she has a size 54 and I have 58. So her bike is way too small for me, maybe it feels a bit different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I think it honestly comes down to what you think looks better and which is the cheaper price. 90% of the cycling world would never be able to tell a difference between the two.
Instagram @seanblurr