Colnago CX-Zero anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

I will be moving from sunny California to a true four season place (Spokane, WA). On top of being faced with riding through four seasons (or at least three), I see that there are tons of gravel country roads so I was thinking of an "endurance" bike with faster tires.

I love my Colango C59 and the CX-Zero looks like it would fit me like a glove. I might even, gasp, opt for disc brakes and maybe even take the whole package with a shimano group despite being a died in the wool Campy guy for the last 37 years. The other way to go would be to find just a frame and fit it with Campagnolo.

The bike reviews well. You can't find a bad a thing about it online, or any Colnago for that matter. I love the washingmachinepost reviews:

http://thewashingmachinepost.net/colnag ... index.html

Shimano and discs sound like sacrilege but it would be a tool bike. Ride it hard in the fall, winter, and early spring muck, hose it off and lube the chain now and then and not worry about rocks, paint, scratches, or anything for that matter.

(Or, I could spend a hundred hours researching other endurance bikes. :-))

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Do you have a specific question about it? I have one and I love it. Mine has rim brakes and Ultegra di2. My lbs has one that is discs and Ultegra di2. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Open Cycle UP.... you can fit either 700C or 650B wheels.
Attachments
Xplorer.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

AJS914

by AJS914

silvercivic27 wrote:Do you have a specific question about it? I have one and I love it. Mine has rim brakes and Ultegra di2. My lbs has one that is discs and Ultegra di2. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for!

I'm just looking for any general comments. I never see the CX-zero mentioned in this forum. Also, I wouldn't mind any discussion related to riding / training / equipment in a real 4 season location.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I like the look of the new CLX, I know it's not the "endurance" but I would go for that instead of the CX.

Can't really help in the new CX, but I had a CX-1 and I really enjoyed it. Until I cracked it :(.

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Hello, I have a CX-Zero in the 105 group, I love it, I like this web site, a lot of Colnago knowledge here. Best to you, and yours; 53cxzero

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe the next step is to see if I can find a local dealer with a cx-zero in stock, ready to ride. That will give me some feedback on how it compares to my C59.

The Bianchi endurance bikes look good too. The geometry seems almost Colnagoesque. I found a Bianchi Intenso for a song. I've also seen deals on the Infinito from time to time.

NoBlink

by NoBlink

Hi, I have a CX-Zero as well (52s), although it is the alu version featuring the 105 group and rim brakes. No complaints whatsoever yet, very comfortable ride. I ride it with 25mm tires, but a friend of mine who has the same bike uses 28mm tires which fit nicely as well!

AJS914

by AJS914

I stopped into a local shop to see if they had any on the shelf and they did have a 52S CX-Zero. I may go test ride it next week. Talking with the sales guy though got me thinking that maybe I want something more versatile - something that could be a gravel bike and take even larger tires. He recommended a Parlee Chebacco (my mind can only remember it as the Parlee Chewbaca :-) ). It looks like a great concept.

I'm moving to Spokane where there seem to be lots of gravel roads in the country. Maybe I'll just get there first, check out the scene and then decide on whether I need a winter bike or want a gravel bike.

I do have my C59 and my 29er hardtail which could be used for gravel adventures. I also have an old Litespeed Classic hanging in the garage that I could build up. That would be a fine winter bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You need to find out if you will deal with wet roads in the winter months. Spokane higher, dryer, and colder than the coast in the winter months. You need to find out if the roads are wet during this time as they are in most of the PNW. If so, than the only way to go is with a frame that provides good fender mounts and discs. My choice would always be a cross racer. Great on the road with slicks, and perfect for off road adventures. I have a Trek Boone which has been perfect as a winter bike. I find many of the so called gravel grinders unnecessarily heavy with very tall front ends.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

I actually picked up a 2015 S-Works Crux as my winter / gravel bike. It has been wet here. We had 20 days of rain in October. November so far has been nice.

The Crux is actually a fantastic bike. I hadn't planned to buy such a high end bike but it was a really good deal and came nicely eqiupped with nice parts all the way around and a Force 1 hydro group. The Crux is also light. It could easily be a single bike solution with two sets of wheels.

I'm not going to head out if it's raining. I will head if there is a 50% chance of rain. I've been improving my winter gear. What I need is stuff that keeps me dry when it's not raining but the roads are wet. I got a Castelli Gabba jersey and I'm going to get some Nanoflex bibs and arm-warmers.

trimenc

by trimenc

Being a Colnago guy, why not the Prestige? I have one and use it for exactly what you are/were looking to use your bike for and I love it. Just curious.

AJS914

by AJS914

Probably because a nice used Prestige didn't come across my path. I looked for used Colnagos and saw some World Cup models but I didn't like the short head tube. The Crux also has a good geometry for me and it's pretty close to the C59 so I knew it would be a good fit.

And since this whole gravel/adventure bike thing is an experiment, I wasn't going to put big money into it. As it is, I spent more than I was planning but I got a top shelf bike that is almost new for 40% of the cost of new. It was a fantastic deal.

I'm totally thrilled with this bike. It rides very nicely. It's stiff and light. It's so nice that it did occur to me that it could replace the C59 and be a one bike solution with two sets of wheels.

The Crux has also made me appreciate the benefits of disc brakes on a road bike. I was riding it around on a wet day and braking was simply fantastic compared to wet rim brakes.

TNTom93183

by TNTom93183

NoBlink wrote:
Fri May 06, 2016 12:40 pm
Hi, I have a CX-Zero as well (52s), although it is the alu version featuring the 105 group and rim brakes. No complaints whatsoever yet, very comfortable ride. I ride it with 25mm tires, but a friend of mine who has the same bike uses 28mm tires which fit nicely as well!
Hi. I need help here on Colnago Aluminum bikes. It is a brand new, 2016 Colnago Cx Zero Alu Ultegra. I have questions with respect to the sizing/frame size to fit me. I'm 5'8.5" tall with a 30" inseam. Colnago's sizes are a bit foreign to me. Do I need their size 52cm or their size 50 cm? On a Specialized Roubaix Comp, I ride a 54 cm. On a Cervelo R3, I ride a 54 cm. I stopped in at a bike store that carried Colnago and while they did not have this exact frame design, the store thought I needed a 50 cm based on lowest leg position. Can I get any input from you Colnago owners? If I'm in between, do I go smaller or larger?
Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

TNTom93183 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:18 am
I'm 5'8.5" tall with a 30" inseam. Colnago's sizes are a bit foreign to me. Do I need their size 52cm or their size 50 cm?
I think I can help here. I have a 2015 CX Zero Evo size 50S (S for sloping). I'm told that's equivalent to a size 54 cm traditional frame, like your other rides.

I too am 5'8" with a 31.5" inseam. My bike is set up as follows:
  • Saddle height (BB to saddle top) = 70 cm (27.5")
  • Seatpost setback = 12 mm
  • Stem = 100 mm ±8°
  • Spacers = 5 mm + 15 mm headset top cover
  • Handlebar drop = 4 cm
  • Cockpit (saddle tip to center of bars) = 51 cm (20")
Let me know if there are any other measurements you want. I'm thinking the 50 cm will fit you fine.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed you're asking about the Alu. I have the Evo (carbon). I'm assuming the geometry is the same?
Attachments
CX Zero geometry
CX Zero geometry
Last edited by ManekiNico on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.