Wheel and Shifting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

This might not sound logical but is it possible an ill designed and/or badly manufactured rear wheel causing shifting problem? Assuming both wheels use same cassette and rear derailleur is probably adjusted for each wheel. Same bike of course. Long story short same bike shifts perfectly each gear with Wheel X even without too much messing around. However Wheel Y shifts badly in 13t and 14t even after spending a lot of time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Are the wheels of different brands or do they have the same hubs?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Different brands with different hubs. Both are factory built wheels and both are new. The good wheel is from a new bike sitting on the showroom floor. My mechanic just wanted to try after all things failed.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Are you using the exact same cassette on both wheels, as opposed to two different cassettes? Just thinking one cassette may be worn and the other not, if you were using two.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Same cassette.

stormur

by stormur

If mechanic by wheel switch didn't started from scratch (cable release from anchor+ limits of RD ) and just and "probably" tried to adjust cable tension - it's common it won't work fine. Different hubs have different (marginally) distaances between smallest cog and end of the axle.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

eric

by eric

Different hubs put the cassette in slightly different position. So you may need to adjust the cable a few clicks to get it lined up when changing wheels.

It is possible that the axle on the one hub is bent. That could result in the cassette not being perfectly in line with the chainrings. Typical rear freehub construction has the wheel and freehub side by side on a common axle, connected only by the drive pawls.

fh8425

by fh8425

stormur wrote:If mechanic by wheel switch didn't started from scratch (cable release from anchor+ limits of RD ) and just and "probably" tried to adjust cable tension - it's common it won't work fine. Different hubs have different (marginally) distaances between smallest cog and end of the axle.

+1.Gap between the affected cogs.

Maybe you can check on the torque on the cassette, teeth on the cog worn ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com