Colnago EPS & C59 headset help.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fletch62

by fletch62

I have a Colnago EPS i purchased second hand and a recently acquired NOS C59.
The EPS came with a headset which i believed to be standard. The C59 came with the headset minus the top bearing cover which i believe is a 2 piece Acros system.
Apparently both frames should have the Acros headset, however the EPS has a 'standard' top insert bearing race with a Ritchey bearing and uses a FSA top cap and plug expander.

So, in looking around the web, its seems Colnago went away from the Acros design on the C60.
I dont really want to fork out for a C60 headset just to use the top cover only, and you cant, as far as i am aware, by the Acros top cover by itself.
I thought while i was at it, i wanted to get a smaller headset cover for the EPS from 15mm to 7.5mm so i may as well replace the top section on that bike as well.

The question is, can i buy a new top bearing race, bearing & top cover assembly that isnt from Colnago?
Are there alternatives from other companies that will fit the frame, and are cheaper/lighter?
What size do i need to buy if its possible?

I have a J&L expander and top cap on order for both bikes, so really only require the top section of the headset.

Sorry if my description is not clear and will upload some photos later of both frames to illustrate what i am talking about.

AJS914

by AJS914

FWIW, the J&L expander would not fit my C59. It doesn't go narrow enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com