PressFit Bottom Bracket brands. Is there any difference?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cdtf

by cdtf

Hey folks, I used the Search function but did not find anything :/

After 2000 km, the BB 86 (Shimano DA level) bottom bracket started creaking. Brand new Ridley X-Trail frame. Needless to say, I'm quite unhappy.

So, now that I'm looking for a replacement, is a brand more reliable than others? I saw CK and Hope BB. I also wonder if the metallic sleeves on these brands could damage a carbon frame.

Last question: for installation, loctite or grease? Cant find a good recommendation.

Thanks.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

Why not re-install your current BB with some loctite? BBs rarely cause creaking, it's the frame tolerance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Indeed. Installed correctly with the proper bearing retention compound things should be quite for the life of the BB. As noted above it's the not the BB that is making noise, it is the interface between the BB cups and the frame. Switching brands will not solve your problem.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

stormur

by stormur

isn't BB86 Shimano bottom bracket bearings in delrin cups ? Delrin on Loctite ???

I installed BB86 on Shimano AntiSeize compound- was always quiet. Alu sleeved bearings ( like Rotor f.e. ) need to be installed on Loctite ( I use 648 religiously ) - also zero issues ( same as bb386 ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Im using a praxis works pf30 bb for campagnolo and have had 0 problems, noises,etc. Mind you this is in a chinese no name frame...

cdtf

by cdtf

So the brand is not relevant, and I shoudn't use Loctite on plastic cups. Grease then?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

TS, if you just read the other threads talking about BB86, you would find that myself, and another person agreed, Wheels Mfg has the best BB IMO at this time for press fit.

The BB is threaded together at the middle. So, yes, it "presses" in the frame, but that is accomplished simply by screwing the two sides together. No creaking, it is solid and works great.

Don't recommend loctite ever unless you have a Press Fit where there is no option that Wheels Mfg offers and won't stop creaking. Last resort.

Just grease up the Wheels Mfg BB, screw it together and pretty tight, forget the specs, but requires a BB wrench/tool, put cranks on, torque them to spec, and ride. Done. Simple.

I've tried 4 diff brands of PF86 in my Foil, using SRAM Riken PM cranks...so same as your shimano, just has the 22mm NDS diameter...otherwise, should/would work just like your Shimano setup.

Never using a regular press fit bearing again personally. Really a trap for problems like you and others have.

Don't waste time/money on delrin/plastic and non-screwing at the middle BBs. Really, I swear by this BB.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ckets.html

The only difference is that the outer portion metal, where you use the tool, sits outside/larger of a regular Press fit.

My DS power meter just barely clears the diameter of that, but it clears, the tolerance is very close/tight. Don't have a picture. But it doesn't affect the width/shimming...I still use the same wavy on the DS and that is all...so the bearings/cranks where they make contact width, same as previously.

cdtf

by cdtf

Thank you Zigmeister, your in depth answer is really helpful. Wheels Mfg seems to be an america only brand, but I found a Hope BB that seems to use the very same idea.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/press-fit/

Gonna get this one. I will also have to buy their tool and do the installation myself, as none of the bike shops in my city carry the brand or have the tool. Quite pathetic if you ask me.

Thank you all for everything.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The thread together systems are good - Wheels Mfg, Praxis, etc. - I use a Praxis unit on my Parlee. But these add weight.

Not to keep this going but I have used bearing retention compound (loctite brand or other) on my Giant TCR Advanced SL BB86 for years with both Shimano and Sram Delrin cups. Never a problem - and I am a 80 kg. It's a good light system. The BB's themselves aren't the most free spinning units but that is a function of the seals. The Sram unit did spin a bit better then the Shimano. Maybe someone can find out what Giant Alpecin team mechanics are doing with the team bikes. As far as I know its Delrin cups. Probably some ceramic version.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I too found BB happiness with the Wheels Mfg bottom bracket. The bb on my Parlee Z5 started creaking. I replaced with the Wheels Mfg bb and it's been silent since. Same thing with Parlee #2 -- it started creaking and rather than too much debugging, I just replaced with the Wheels Mfg bb and it's been quiet since. Yeah it adds a little weight and yeah this is weight weenies, but silence is golden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com