Have drivetrains become less smooth in recent years?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Gazelleer wrote:It is not in situations of cross chaining that I am talking about. It's small ring, large cog. On the stand it runs fine but not when you power up a steep hill.

Low limit and B tension adjustments ok? Do you have an asymmetric chain and if so is it being run the proper way? Chain lube?

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

When you say "chain creaks" I'm not sure what you mean, but... I think the frame stiffness on modern bikes has to be higher to work with the tighter tolerances of modern 11sp drive trains, especially when using wider ratio gearing. If the frame is not stiff, the chain can do some weird things, maybe sounding like a creak?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

I run Campy Record chains on Shimano 11 speed. much smoother and quieter. shifts up the cassette take a little finesse due to narrower width. will never go back.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Depends on the drive train. I have a sram 11 speed cassette running in a campagnolo drive train it is o.k but a campagnolo cassette is smoother. To be expected i suppose. I have drive train going back to 80's and at the other end 2014 super record. All are as smooth as each other.

kode54

by kode54

i've given my derailleurs thorough cleanings once in awhile...and i find it amazing that they still work in the worst conditions possible. rain, winter salt, road grime, you name it...it keeps ticking. that said, a good cleaning may solve some 'smooth' issues especially if your drivetrain was smoother when new.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc