QR skewers with 2-piece construction nut/serration?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I hate the feeling of turning the skewer handle or nut and grinding the serrations against the dropouts, especially on my fork which sit slightly wider than 100mm when unclamped, probably for safety lawyer-lip-related reasons.

Fairwheel's skewer review describes Extralite Aliens 3 and 4 skewers as having 2-piece construction where, if I understand correctly, the serrated potion stays still while the nut is tightened. This is what I want. Unfortunately(?), the Extralite skewers are Ti, and I would prefer steel for durability.

Any other similar skewers to recommend?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Extralite's skewers are quite durable.
The ti rods for road riding are fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've used a ton of different skewers and in recent years I've not seen any others which use a two piece nut like the Extralite. There may be something else out there that does but I don't remember seeing one. As far as the durability of the ti is concerned I wouldn't let that be a factor, in the 10+ years of working with Extralite we've never seen a failure.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Interesting. I guess I'll go for the Extralite skewers then. Thanks for the advice.

If I'm really very particular about it, I suppose I could use just the Extralite nuts on another steel skewer, but that would be akin to heresy...

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I had thought about offering using the nuts on a steel skewer as a solution but Extralite uses a finer thread pitch than standard steel shafts and finding a skewer with a steel shaft that they would fit on would be very difficult.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Welp, I've ordered the Aliens 3. Looking at the pictures more closely tho, Aliens 3 (is an awful movie) has serrated plates and plastic cam bushings, while Aliens 4 (is a bizarre movie) has smooth, non-serrated plates and spherical brass bushings. It seems Extralite do not make the ideal combination of features in my mind, which would be serrated plates with brass bushings. Maybe that will be Aliens 5.

Qman

by Qman

I have the Aliens 4, and I can confirm that they have a brass bushing and no serrations. I haven't had any issues with them slipping, and they are quite a bit lighter than the 3's (relatively speaking).
Note: I find that having the springs attached to the nuts is a brilliant idea.
Also brilliant is the first Aliens movie, the only one I've seen. I have no idea if the first Aliens skewer was brilliant, awful, or bizarre - I've never seen one of those either!

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Update in case anyone is interested:
I got the Aliens 3 skewers. The 2-piece nuts really are quite clever. Even better, they thread just fine onto the other skewers I have on hand, which are Reynolds "competitive QR skewers" and Mavic composite road skewers. The threading seems to be pretty standard. I didn't think to compare it with a bolt but if I hazard a guess it'd be vanilla M5 or M6 thread.

Now I'm running the Reynolds QRs with the brass cam bushing with the Extralite 2-piece nuts on the other side. Pretty neat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com