Crumpton vs Argonaut ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I'm thinking of getting a new frame. I'm currently riding a Parlee Z5 SLi (medium) and really like it. But I have an itch for something special, handmade. Top of my consideration list are the Crumpton T5 Superlight and the Argonaut. Perhaps also a Parlee Z-Zero, though I probably want something different, just 'cuz. Why would you choose one versus the other?

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Crumpton but i am biased I have 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fletch62

by fletch62

What about a Berk or Cryptic?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I'm considering a custom from Craddock/Filament myself. Crumpton and Argonaut are certainly more established, tho.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

coppercook62 wrote:Crumpton but i am biased I have 2

Why did you choose Crumpton? And what do you like about it so much? What were your previous bikes? Thanks...

coppercook62

by coppercook62

I have a berk as well. I had a cervelo r3. I wanted something that wasnt big brand something from a small builder. Nick is a one man show, like most of small builders. He as well as Jure where super easy to work with. The reason i bought 2 was the first one, the sl had enve tubes. The T5 he made the tubes in house and i liked that. The T5 has tubes that arent perfectly round and taper towards seat tube kinda like cervelos r series. I truely believe you cant go wrong with any small builder. You develope a realtionship with them over the build. Appleman, Craddock etc.

boysa

by boysa

Another vote for Crumpton, for the same reasons coppercook62 outlines. I chose Nick because he's a one man show... now even more than ever! I have an SL, but if I was looking for something new I would not hesitate to give him a call.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

LionelB

by LionelB

coppercook62 wrote:I have a berk as well. I had a cervelo r3. I wanted something that wasnt big brand something from a small builder. Nick is a one man show, like most of small builders. He as well as Jure where super easy to work with. The reason i bought 2 was the first one, the sl had enve tubes. The T5 he made the tubes in house and i liked that. The T5 has tubes that arent perfectly round and taper towards seat tube kinda like cervelos r series. I truely believe you cant go wrong with any small builder. You develope a realtionship with them over the build. Appleman, Craddock etc.

Interested to hear how the T5 compares to the SL. Love my SL. Can't go wrong with Nick.

Broady

by Broady

Would definitely consider the Filament. Being UK based I may be biased admittedly. They look amazing from a quality standpoint, saying that, Berk, Crumpton and Argonaut are all strong choices.

Bely

by Bely

I would go crumpton and I don't own one but currently am waiting on an argonaut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Bely wrote:I would go crumpton and I don't own one but currently am waiting on an argonaut

Interesting... If you could do it over again, would you go Crumpton instead of Argonaut, and why?

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

coppercook62 wrote:I have a berk as well. I had a cervelo r3.

Thanks. How do you compare your Crumpton to the Berk? If you could only choose one, which and why? Very much appreciated...

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Last year I went through the same decision. I ended up going with Argonaut. Mainly because I wanted an ISP and Nick wouldn't do that, and I honestly just preferred the look of the Argonaut frame - it was the one I found myself looking at more when messing around online. The NAHBS Layup awards might have helped sway me a little as well.

I'm certain I would have been as delighted with a Crumpton as I am with the Argonaut though!

shillc

by shillc

I went through the same decision process last year. I have a custom Parlee Z1 and wished to try another well regarded builder.
I admired Nick Crumpton's bikes for a long time going back to 2008 when I got the Parlee and despite the encouragement of a local shop in obtaining an Argonaut, I felt Nick won out for me based on the years of experience with carbon fiber and varying techniques to frame building.
I had also wished to get an integrated seatpost, and slowly convinced him to do it.
He then released the T5 ultralight variation before the built and I opted for that and he agreed as long as it was no ISP.
I am very happy.
Ride quality is excellent on par with my Z1 with a nearly identical build and geometry. They do everything well.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

What a great problem to have! I wouldn't swap my Z-zero for anything, but i've heard many times that the z5 is at least 90% as good in feel and performance. For that reason alone I'd change brand if i were in your shoes. On a recent trip to San Fran I stopped in at Above Category and saw an Argonaut they had there - I spent 10minutes just looking at it. An amazing bike, superb attention to detail.

However, given my choice again, I'd go Passioni.
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com