Crumpton vs Argonaut ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

greentimgreen wrote:What a great problem to have! I wouldn't swap my Z-zero for anything, but i've heard many times that the z5 is at least 90% as good in feel and performance. For that reason alone I'd change brand if i were in your shoes. On a recent trip to San Fran I stopped in at Above Category and saw an Argonaut they had there - I spent 10minutes just looking at it. An amazing bike, superb attention to detail.

Thanks. I didn't know they had an Argonaut at Above Category. Next time I'm in SF I should go have a look.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Found a pic...unfortunately one that doesn't do the bike justice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

That Argonaut is a beautiful bike.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Here is my Berk. Same geo as Crumptons. My T5 is in signature.

My SL

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Greentimgreen nice ride

LionelB

by LionelB

coppercook62, can you highlighted the perceived differences between your T5 and SL ?

coppercook62

by coppercook62

as far as how they ride I am hard pressed to tell difference. The difference in the bike are he hand made the tube for the T5 and he used Enve tubes for the SL. There is a you tube video of him explaining how he made it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGav0y4oSI4
My SL I got almost all the features he offered. Twin stays, internal brake, inset headset,PF30 etc. On the T5 these where standard. So from a purchasing point of view it is probably its probably a wash if you get all add ons on SL.
The T5 is probably 30 grams lighter.
Hope that helps.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Full disclosure: I own a Crumpton, but I can still be objective.

I don't want to knock Argonaut, but take a look at the close-up pics of an Argonaut frame here.
http://theradavist.com/2015/11/argonaut-cycles-and-chris-king-precision-components-unveil-the-t47-bottom-bracket-standard/

If Argonaut delivered a frame like that to me I'd return it and demand my money back. I hope that's just an aberration.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

RussellS

by RussellS

jpanspac wrote:I don't want to knock Argonaut, but take a look at the close-up pics of an Argonaut frame here.
http://theradavist.com/2015/11/argonaut-cycles-and-chris-king-precision-components-unveil-the-t47-bottom-bracket-standard/

If Argonaut delivered a frame like that to me I'd return it and demand my money back. I hope that's just an aberration.

Not sure where you see a problem. In the second picture from the top it does look like there is a crack in the shell on the right side. Maybe the mechanics put the King BB in and out twice a day or more for six months straight. And a couple were heavy handed. Rest of the pictures just look like a frame that has been tossed into a car many times a day and dropped on the floor at every mechanic's shop three times a day for six months straight. Frame will get scuffed up. Drive a Rolls Royce every day for a year or two on gravel roads and parked in garages every day. It will get scratched and scuffed and banged up. Just use.

Rippin

by Rippin

I don't see a problem with the Argonaut in the pics - that's just the way unidirectional carbon looks. I've seen an Argonaut up close and the finish on the carbon surface is the best that I've come across.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Have to say... I like the lines of the Argonaut a lot. And I saw one for real last weekend in the wild. It looked very nice. And the finish seemed excellent.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Rippin wrote:I don't see a problem with the Argonaut in the pics - that's just the way unidirectional carbon looks.

+1

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

One vote for Argonaut cycles.

I say their paint job is somewhat superb..
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Denavelo

by Denavelo

For sale @ Blacksmith Cycles... Kind of a smoking deal considering all that's included... Too bad my cards are maxed out and this isn't a 56cm with a 160mm HT. I'd have to come up with the money for it..

http://blacksmithcycle.com/pages/sale-frames

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gerardk1111

by gerardk1111

I have to throw Festka in the conversation. Check it out. By far best test results by Tour Magazine!!