Creaking noise coming from bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

davetung wrote:Hopefully they will figure it out and I will update everyone.

yes to both............
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ru55man

by ru55man

davetung wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:54 am
Hi all,

I have a 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL and I recently had my drivetrain cleaned at LBS. Since then my bike is making the creaking noise when I am climbing at 75-80 rpm and in one of the climbing gears like 36-28. The noise goes away when I am out of the saddle. It's very odd because the noise doesn't come out all the time... I would say 50% and sometimes just takes awhile for it to come out. The LBS can't figure out what the issue is... I am hoping someone had the same issue and figured it out... Thx

Here is link to the video I recorded.
http://youtu.be/uyOfqeGA2Ks

Dave
What did you do to resolve this Dave? I have the same creaking problem on my Giant TCR disc. It seems to be a common problem with Giants :(

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

Grease isn't the best way to eliminate bottom bracket creaks. It will go away for a little while, but come back again. Try the Park friction paste listed below first. Motorex brand is better, but hard to find. If that doesn't work use the LocTite assembly compound WITH the Park primer. If that doesn't do it get a threaded bottom bracket and use with the compound and primer. The bottom bracket was probably overtightened and changed the shape of the frame's delicate carbon fiber bottom bracket shell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheels-Manufac ... 1#viTabs_0

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SAC-2- ... 787&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/LOCTITE-Retainin ... AndDetails

https://mybikeshop.com/products/park-to ... NTEALw_wcB
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

Forgot to mention. Also check the crank bolt. Do not overtighten. Tighten to spec. I do not use grease on mine as it actually starts to back out after just a couple 3 hour rides. I use a few drops of blue locktite to keep it place. Wobbly crank on spindle no good.

kode54

by kode54

velomane wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:36 pm
I had a similar problem years ago. Cleaned both skewers thoroughly...problem solved.
THat's my guess as well. Best to try a different set of skewers to make sure.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I had vreakey zipp to skewers they are long gone lol
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

OP reported only creaks when climbing. I have experience with over-tightening bottom bracket cups and the ensuing creaks. The noise starts during periods when more pressure than normal is put on the pedals as in climbing (versus flats). I'm going to stick with BB as the culprit. I wonder if the LBS paid attention to proper torque spec if they took out the bottom bracket for cleaning and regreasing. And if they used anti-friction paste when reinstalling instead of grease or nothing at all. :shock: If I were him I would buy or borrow torque wrench and allen key socket set so he could personally check the specs and reassemble the BB and crank bolt himself. This will be an ongoing issue and will not go away by itself. It will actually get worse and do damage to the fibers in the BB is not addressed asap. If nothing else return to shop and ask them to literally show him as they recheck the torque on these parts. Also ask if they used the anti-friction paste. Sometime they have high school kids doing the repairs so not always the most experienced wrenches doing the work. :cry:

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

HappyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 am
OP reported only creaks when climbing. I have experience with over-tightening bottom bracket cups and the ensuing creaks. The noise starts during periods when more pressure than normal is put on the pedals as in climbing (versus flats). I'm going to stick with BB as the culprit. I wonder if the LBS paid attention to proper torque spec if they took out the bottom bracket for cleaning and regreasing. And if they used anti-friction paste when reinstalling instead of grease or nothing at all. :shock: If I were him I would buy or borrow torque wrench and allen key socket set so he could personally check the specs and reassemble the BB and crank bolt himself. This will be an ongoing issue and will not go away by itself. It will actually get worse and do damage to the fibers in the BB is not addressed asap. If nothing else return to shop and ask them to literally show him as they recheck the torque on these parts. Also ask if they used the anti-friction paste. Sometime they have high school kids doing the repairs so not always the most experienced wrenches doing the work. :cry:
Double Post, my bad.
Last edited by MarshMellow on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

HappyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 am
OP thought to create a thread 5-years-ago, likely this matter has:

...resolved itself w/ a missing cleat-bolt discovery.
...losing assorted crap being carried in the weather-pack being stuffed into jersey pockets.
...riding further away than before from another rider whose bike is actually creaking
...changing up out of the saddle moments to throw-off the other rider w/ a creaky bike who has yet to develope a riding style. So, he had been copying this guy.
...bought a whole new bike. Not to fix the problem, just wanted to ride it.
...his wife forbade him from going into the attic (where he'd always hit his head on the last joust before turning down the staircase) which suprisingly stopped the subsequest auditory-hallucinations of creaks during bike rides. Could happen, we don't know.
...gave up biking altogeter (gasp!) and now is a mountain-goat herder in the Pyrenees. Bred winning Pyrenees Mountain Dog in the process and, now operates a YouTube Channel where a hidden camera catches the dog's reaction to HIM sleeping in the Dog's bed. Funny captions over the dog's head -- 'wut's Dis?' 'u bring snaks??' etc. etc.

Like I'd said, this was nearly 5 years ago here... dead meadow.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Think everyone here's trying to help the guy who asked about the ops creaking 1 day ago rather than the op himself.
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Stendhal

by Stendhal

The actual problem was, the bike was haunted. The OP hired a medium and the problem went away. It's going to be on an upcoming episode of The Dead Files on the Travel Channel.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

I hope they do an exorcism on the bike to be rid of the evil creak once and for all! It would be a hell of a lot easier than all the manual labor, materials, and costs of needed materials.