Jagwire elite road link v.s AICAN-Bungarus

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liketoride

by liketoride

Does anyone know which is lighter? Alligator or elite?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

If this helps my elite front inner 7g, rear inner 16g, front outer 12g, rear outer 16g and the brake lever end cables 28g, I'm assuming the Alligator might be lighter.

liketoride

by liketoride

Thank you k cookie, anyone used both and can let me know which one they liked more?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I agree with the prior comments about the AICAN being pretty good for initial installation, but then difficult to live with. Even the initial install had some irritation because the links don't connect together very tightly, so without the inner cable in there, it's impossible. The finish and construction of the links is very nice though.
After a few rides I ran into the same trouble another user mentioned: cable slack (rd shifted down with bike stationary-> chain preventing movement and creating slack) leading to housing coming apart and the rubber tube of one of the links getting crushed. Ugh.
Took the whole thing off my bike, and was monkeying around and discovered that the links fit damn well onto Nokon liner if you pull the short bits of tube out... So I did that and have it up and running again, seemingly in much more reliable form. Will report back if I encounter any issues with this hack.
Last edited by dwaharvey on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

I have had both Jagwire and Alligator links and I believe Jagwire is a superior product.

Issues with the Alligator as follows:

- Poor installation Instructions
- Links began to 'chip'
- Horrid looking frame protectors (Orange, long pieces of rubber).
- Shifting issues - couldn't retain tuning of RD

Jagwire's on the other hand have retained their appearance, shift beautifully and come with neat, black frame protectors.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Pics of the setup, dwaharvey?
I've used aican for several years and can attest to the lack of durability. The little plastic linkage just snaps off too much

tmr5555

by tmr5555

thedonnydino wrote:- Horrid looking frame protectors (Orange, long pieces of rubber).

Jagwire's on the other hand have retained their appearance, shift beautifully and come with neat, black frame protectors.

The latest set of Alligator mini links i purchased form xc racer in the UK came with Black frame protectors.
YMMV.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I use i-links and i-link minis. The installation ain't fun there's no 2 ways about it, but once setup it hasn't been an issue particularly. The links did develop some creaks here and there, but a silicone-based spray has completely erradicated it.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've been using the iLink cables for years on end, on most of my builds. I'm in the process to start re-cabling my bike and wanted to go with these Jagwire Elite Link cables. I'm running Campy, but the cables say only for SRAM/Shimano.

Skunkworks says you can run campy with these cables, based on the ends you pick. not sure what that means... I see that Jagwire makes individual cables in Campy, so is it safe to assume you can just buy the Campy Jagwire inner cable for the Elite Links?
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Haha... So the jagwire is all 5mm outer.. For Campag shifters you need to use the 4mm step down end piece. And the 5.5mm ferrel end for the cable stops. Basically It'll fit any thing but you need to work out which start and finish pieces will work with your setup. Tip one... The inner will mushroom with a the help of a lighter... Tip 2 run the liners all the way where you can ( internal rounded frames ) as it gives you a sealed system... Tip 3 ingnore the crap instructions in regards to using the Std housing in the bends of the bars.. What the point of a non compression system with a bit of normal housing to ruin the party..

:thumbup:

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

I love the AICAN Reaction housings. Light and easy to install. I hate the segmented (i.e., Nokon) type housings.

asc8ic

by asc8ic

How about comet superslick? it is cheaper than both, and easy to care with oil spray.
I highly recommend you.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

kulivontot wrote:Pics of the setup, dwaharvey?
I've used aican for several years and can attest to the lack of durability. The little plastic linkage just snaps off too much

Don't have photos I'm afraid. Once done you can't tell the difference between the normal setup and this modified one. To do it I just used pliers to grab the plastic sleeve on one side and pull it out (holding the aluminum part in my fingers). Once one side is out (it'll get crushed/destroyed), the other one pushes through very easily and falls out. Then just thread the things onto your nokon liner making sure to alternate the small/large segments as you would normally. The large segments are loose on the liner, the small ones a great fit. The looseness of the large segments doesn't seem to be causing an issue as far as I can tell because they're centered by the convex end of the small segments. So far it's working well and I'm WAY happier with it.

nonamed

by nonamed

Is it possible to replace Jagwire inner cables with PowerCordz cables installed in Jagwire liners? Anyone tried this mix? I think it will help to save additional grams won't it? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gtinut

by gtinut

I will be installing Jagwire on my CAAD10 this weekend.