Trek BB90 and 30mm spindle cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

glam2deaf wrote:
deek wrote:You're just going to have to use some bearings with very tiny balls that will likely not last very long at all which you seem to be aware of.

I keep seeing this, but is there a rough estimate on how long not very long is?

I wore out several sets of these bearings over the 4 years I used that crank and frame combo. I've never worn out another bottom bracket bearing, so a very significant difference. The lack of a bearing cover probably played into it as much or more than the size. I haven't seen Raceface's BB yet but I'd expect them to make some efforts to seal the bearing better than Lightning.

The Lightning crank/BB92 setup did work well. No problems or sounds, just the bearings started feeling bad so I'd regrease them, then replace them.
This was a Scott Genius LT used for enduro racing and training. I avoid mud unless it's a race and I'm festidious with cleaning and maintainence but still, it's mountain biking (downhill racing at that). If you road ride in dry conditions this setup should be fine. Just expect to replace bearings more frequently than normal.

hambini

by hambini

glam2deaf wrote:
deek wrote:You're just going to have to use some bearings with very tiny balls that will likely not last very long at all which you seem to be aware of.

I keep seeing this, but is there a rough estimate on how long not very long is?

I think <500km
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/race-face-n ... 43917.html

That guy used 2 6706 bearings on each side to put a 30mm spindle crank in a 37mm diameter bb shell. It seemed to survive a season of mtbing.

The bigger issue for you is using SiSL2 is a bad idea due to chainline/q-factor. As for THM, that should be ok because the spindle is longer to begin with.