Garmin 520 Bluetooth update can I switch this off?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Killy

by Killy

Lost 55 miles today whilst at the cafe, heard the auto power down bleep whilst enjoying my fudge brownie. Then on re starting my device in went into update 5.3 mode, and all today's ride data was lost.
Don't get me wrong I don't think Sr Dave brailsford was gonna get on the phone to me....but what a wrench!!
Last edited by Killy on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimborello

by jimborello

I feel your pain bro, if it aint on Strava it didnt happen :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Killy

by Killy

Disappointed smashed some KOM,s today...for this year...my age group...Oh and weight...
First Bluetooth update on this device a month or so ago i was prompted, now it seems it's taken matters into its own hands.

Ste_S

by Ste_S

Same happened to me, very annoying !

djm

by djm

I initiated an upgrade, unknowingly, minutes before the start of a race this weekend. Lots of odd screens for a while, but the device came to itself just in time for the start. Seems like a good idea for an engineer at Garmin, I guess, to push updates when people are out about to record their ride ;-)

Philbar72

by Philbar72

this weirded me out a bit. was racing on Saturday and the phone and garmin were talking to each other. the garmin then kind of reboots! switched it back on and could carry on, but once saved at the end of the race it updated itself!!!

very odd.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Search it here http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmin-edge-520.html there are over 1300 comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Somehow mine updated before a race as well. Completely screwed up as well like djm said above. Talk about annoying! Screens were all screwed up, not how I liked it. Not sure why it doesn't remember those settings?!?! Arrgh...why Garmin why?!?!

Someone on that review comment had a great idea, if Garmin would allow you to have Profiles you setup, then can sync/backup to Garmin Connect, so it quickly will update/tweak your settings how you like.

Instead, you have to go through all the screens, turn stuff on/off, modify displays etc...hassle.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

It is incredibly annoying.

Also, often when I accept updates from Garmin Express, it requires the device to be set up from scratch, including setting up all my activity screens with the carefully chosen and laid out data screens. What a PITA.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

It has been a long known fact with any Garmin Edge - if it does work for you without any bugs for your particular usage, and there aren't any major new functions introduced which you might really need, just avoid updating it.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

mrlobber wrote:It has been a long known fact with any Garmin Edge - if it does work for you without any bugs for your particular usage, and there aren't any major new functions introduced which you might really need, just avoid updating it.

Good advice. I usually do pass on updating when Garmin Express tells me a new update is available, but occasionally, a little recklessness comes over me and I say, "what the heck, I'll upgrade" and then almost always regret it, especially when I have re-set up all my painstakingly designed activity screens. Just Say No.

ms6073

by ms6073

eaglejackson wrote:Also, often when I accept updates from Garmin Express, it requires the device to be set up from scratch

I think that only happens if you actually proceed through the 'setup wizard' instead of clicking the 'X' or cancel button. Curious, I have Garmin Connect on my Samsung S6 when I powered on the Edge 520, I soon saw a notification at the top of the phones display as well as a prompt on the Edge itself. I had a choice to install now or 'remind me later', which I selected and was able to wait until I returned home where I could use our home WiFi instead of mobile data.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Killy

by Killy

Yeah I never had the option, auto power down at cafe then on powering up the device it went straight into update mode. probably an iPhone latest iOS thing, as I now have to open the connect app for the Bluetooth to connect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Garmin is one of those companies that refuse to hire junior software testers. It's beyond ridiculous how they released Edge 500, 510 and 520 with showstopper bugs. Their tech support is utterly clueless. Now I just wait ~18 months while they attempt to fix reported issues before upgrading to new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder