Sram Red 22 FD keeps tossing the chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Hello all, I hope you can help me diagnose my problem or decide which solution is best.

On my wife's bike, the Red 22 Yaw FD consistently throws the chain off the big ring almost every time she shifts up. If I trim back the limit screw even the slightest, the chain rubs the FD cage. Basically, I'm dealing with either a rubbing chain or tossing the chainring. It really is one of the other.

I had set up the 10-speed Yaw derailleur on my bike with no issues, and I followed all the guidelines issued by Sram when I set up the FD on her bike when the way I did it ran into problems. I even brought her bike to the LBS to have them fix it, but it's the same problem.

She is running a Specialized crank with Specialized chainrings, and at this point, I am starting to wonder whether it is a faulty FD or if the Yaw FD doesn't work well with her Specialized chainrings. Do you have any suggestions to fix the problem, or should I start shopping for a new FD or chainrings?

Thanks

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Assuming the FD is healthy this issue is most likely related to chain-chainring compatibility. On rare occasions I have thrown the chain over the top on my Red 22 and Red 10 speed set ups, and usually a quarter turn of the limit screw solves the problem with no rubbing.

Double check the height of the FD, that can also be a factor.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fh8425

by fh8425

alignment too if you are at it ... alignment of the front D and the chain rings ...
Last edited by fh8425 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I was gonna say alignment, as well. There are 2 lines on the cage that are suppose to line up with your big chainring. Did you get this part of the set up close?

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

When adjusting the outer limit screw, you simultaneously need to pull the lever completely. I had the same problem because I overlooked that part of the manual...

If you already did this correctly, I'm not much of a help here... ;).

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

A little more information please. Which way does the chain fall off the big ring? The obvious, to the outside? On which ring does the chain rub the FD cage when you "trim back the limit screw"? What does that mean? Which way are you allowing the cage to move, to the outside or to the inside by this trimming? Which plate is the chain rubbing, the inside plate or the outside one? And on what rear cogs are you set when the chain rubs the FD cage. All, just the smallest cog, the smallest two cogs, etc.
Robert

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

I fixed my chain rub while on the big gear and big chain ring by placing the fd in a toe in position. Now I have nothing but flawless shifting. I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

topflightpro

by topflightpro

To answer all the questions, the height is proper, and it is lined up properly according to the lines on the derailleur and the big ring.

The chain goes off the big ring toward the pedals - regardless of rear cog. When setting the bike up, I set the trim positions with the chain in the big ring and 11 cog. If I pull the trim in even the slightest bit, to keep the chain from coming off, the chain starts rubbing the outer FD cage.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

if you say you have other SRAM FD's why not try swapping in one of those to see if there is any improvement. Could it possibly be the FD hanger?

Detailed pictures would be a big help.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

topflightpro wrote:To answer all the questions, the height is proper, and it is lined up properly according to the lines on the derailleur and the big ring.

The chain goes off the big ring toward the pedals - regardless of rear cog. When setting the bike up, I set the trim positions with the chain in the big ring and 11 cog. If I pull the trim in even the slightest bit, to keep the chain from coming off, the chain starts rubbing the outer FD cage.

I haven't set up Yaw so I'm not qualified to comment about that. On a regular FD I would wonder whether you have the FD toed in at the rear. That would cause such a problem. One has to wonder also about your chain line. Do you have shims/spacers in your bottom bracket that may have the crank offset to the left? Or a mismatch between you BB shell and bottom bracket and crank thst could be causing the problem?
Robert

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Another thing, do you have spacers on your rear hub that may be pushing the cassette too far to the right? Maybe an 11-speed cassette on a 10 speed hub with or without spacers.
Robert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com