Zipp 303 or 404 for Do-it-All Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zipp 303 or 404

2016 Zipp 303 - 1625g
53%
2016 Zipp 404 - 1690g
47%

Total votes: 99

welchy

by welchy

Just to say, I'm on Zipp 404s just purchased, i've done about 200miles on them including Velothon Wales at the weekend in horrendous conditions. I'm an ex-rugby player, 189cm and 90kg on the scales about 86kg racing weight! They have so far perfromed absolutely flawlessly, I have yet to know about any hub issues but obviously only 200miles in.

I came from a set of Hope Hoops 45s Carbon clinchers which were awesome and certainly bomb proof, i'd try this with your weight if worried...
But so far, the Zipps have been unbelievably good!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Can one obtain a Zipp rim and lace it up to a hub of your choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

In the states you can get firecrests built at wheelbuilder.com. I've had some mtb wheels built by them, bomb proof.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

welchy wrote:Just to say, I'm on Zipp 404s just purchased, i've done about 200miles on them including Velothon Wales at the weekend in horrendous conditions. I'm an ex-rugby player, 189cm and 90kg on the scales about 86kg racing weight! They have so far perfromed absolutely flawlessly, I have yet to know about any hub issues but obviously only 200miles in.

I came from a set of Hope Hoops 45s Carbon clinchers which were awesome and certainly bomb proof, i'd try this with your weight if worried...
But so far, the Zipps have been unbelievably good!

See this thread for my review so far ;)

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=139238
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Junior7

by Junior7

The best choice would be 303.

KarlC

by KarlC

I use Zipp 404 Tubs for every day all around use on my BMC TMR01 and have not had any issues.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

cucci35

by cucci35

I think 404 is better

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've been using Zipp wheels since 2012. I've put about 10k miles on two different sets of Zipps during that time. I started with a set of 2012 303 clinchers, and I'm currently running 2015 404 clinchers. The 404's were purchased last year, only because I got a great deal from my bike shop, and I thought I could get good money for my 303's (which I did). For some background, I'm about 102kg right now, down from about 114kg last year. I also ride in Houston, TX, which is world renowned for its atrocious roads (not to mention the chip-seal roads throughout Texas).

If you're looking for a set of all-around wheels, I don't think you can go wrong with the 303's. They're a little lighter, which will help you on any climbs you may encounter, and they're very aero, especially in cross-winds. They may be a little stiffer, but I don't think you'll notice a huge difference. With my new 404's, I've hardly noticed any flexing in my wheels, an issue that I did notice with the 303's, because they were build using the V8 hubs, that had the radial drive-side lacing (thankfully, they went away from this, and now use 2x lacing on both drive and NDS).

In terms of reliability, let me give you a complete rundown of all the issues I've had with my Zipp wheels during the time I've had them: ... None.

When I sold my 303's I took them to the local shop to make sure everything was in order (not the shop I bought them from). The mechanic had to tighten one nipple, which he though was slightly loose (he didn't even charge me). Given that there was nothing that had to be done on wheels I'd used for 7500 miles, I really recommend them. To be honest, I've never actually seen anyone who had a genuine issue with a Zipp hub. There's a lot of fear-mongering and trash talking from people, which I think is partially a way to justify getting other wheels, that may be more expensive.

gangbyeon

by gangbyeon

I recommend the 404.
The weight limit is 404 higher than 303.
The first to ride safely without worry.

Morta

by Morta

I am a happy camper with my 2013 Zipp 404 Clinchers. So far I've ridden them not only on flat but also on hilly terrain - and also in the mountains. I am 188 cm and 83 kg.
From a technical perspective I've no issues with the wheel set al all. The hubs are okay, I haven't sent them for the hub maintenance per the recall advice so far and still need to do that.

There is one thing to mention though. In my opinion there could be issues with crosswinds. I was on a decent in a mountain area in Spain and I was literally blown to the other side of the street. It was very windy that day and you would have had issues with pretty much all kind of wheels. But for me it was an eye opener. And I ordered 202’s for an everyday wheel set. I’ll keep the 404’s when I know I will be riding only in flat areas.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

As someone said early, ride tubs, life's too short not to. Such a nice feeling from the wheel and tyre. And a lot lighter.
Mounting a new tub, is a kind of zen experience, not difficult, and looks great.
As for wheels, I ride Lightweight Meilensteins, once tasted, hard to ride anything else......

Odonata

by Odonata

Purely personal perspective here.

I have ridden Zipp 404 carbon clinchers since they were first released. I think I am on my third set now, not due to wearing out, just regularly replacing them and spinning off the previous pair. I am 6'4", 170lb, and hammer the hills a lot particularly with rough descents. Originally I worried about the brake contact getting overcooked, and general durability hitting bumps and holes at speed. For me all of that was unfounded.

I think in regards to the worry, that this all comes down to your relationship with a reliable/trustworthy bike store - any issue I have ever had has been addressed. Every brand gets trashed in forums, it can be a depressing read.