Zipp 303 or 404 for Do-it-All Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zipp 303 or 404

2016 Zipp 303 - 1625g
53%
2016 Zipp 404 - 1690g
47%

Total votes: 99

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Evening all,

Been lurking on here for quite some time and thought I may as well join up, so hello!

Essentially I have a dilemma, I'm wanting to buy a new set of 'do it all' wheels for my 2015 Scott Addict Team.

I've always wanted a pair of Zipps and now I have the chance to purchase either a set of 303s or 404s (new Firecrest clinchers, 2016 v10 hubs, the good ones) for a very cheap price.

Now I'm not your average 65kg rider, I'm 6ft and 104kg (ex rugby player & weightlifter), so these wheels need to be able to handle some very strong legs and a fair bit of weight.

It's my understanding that the 303s will be the stiffer of the two in question, even though both are rated to 120kg rider weight.

I mainly ride pretty flat stuff, few laps of Richmond Park, occasionally heading to Box Hill. Nothing really over 100km.

I'm not a climber at all, even though I enjoy it, so the 65g different between the 2 doesn't bother me. I'm pretty decent on the flats, so the deeper 404 may be worth going for...

Anyway, please help! I'm looking to order this week.

Cheers all,

Ryan
Last edited by ryanw on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

More speed on flats, verrrry little difference on hills.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

goodboyr

by goodboyr

303's. Almost as aero as 404's but stiffer and stronger. And a bit nicer to handle on windy days which you will encounter if using them every day.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I think the 303s are the right choice, but the materialistic child in me loves the look of the 404s....

My Scott weighs around 6.5kg with cages and pedals, so I have room to accommodate the extra 300g the Zipps will have over the 1300g carbons on the bike at present (to be sold on).

salesguy

by salesguy

I have this same problem, a pr of 2016 each of 303s and 404s and I can't decide which to unbox and keep. 1st world problems

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

It's not an easy one and very much a personal choice I feel.

Both sets are obviously awesome, it's a case of whats right for me/you.

I 'think' I would be faster on 99% of my rides with the 404s, but the lateral stiffness of the 303s favour my weight.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Take both worlds, go for combo 303/404.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Usually the taller rim is stiffer and stronger (given same spokes). Why is the 303 stiffer?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Lelandjt wrote:Usually the taller rim is stiffer and stronger (given same spokes). Why is the 303 stiffer?

The 303 (26.4mm) is wider than the 404 (24.7mm), so (I have been told) this increases is stiffness even thought there is a 13mm difference in rim depth.

stormur

by stormur

None of them. Not Zipp : not for the money ( are better sets which are also cheaper or way cheaper ) , not for the stiffness, not for the permanent hub recalls. 1700g for carbon wheelset ?????? It's quiet ( not best ) good weight for front 75mm and rear disc, not 40-60mm !

Being at your weight I would consider or HED with higher weight limit, or f.e. custom Corima. Zipp's you'll "kill" rather sooner than later.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

kgt

by kgt

+1
Definitely not Zipp, especially considering your 104kg. Although Corima is a good choise I would go for a custom wheelset.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

HED Jets 5's are the same weight as the 404s and the Cormia 47s are the same weight as the 303s... What else makes these stand out against the Zipps?

And before anyone says it, I know Bora Ones are a fantastic wheel, but I don't want to put them on my Scott. If I had a Bianchi or a De Rosa, then I would.

stormur

by stormur

Major difference is reliability. Did you EVER heard about Corima's quality issues ? Stiffness problem ? Hub recall ?

Same appies to MANY other manufacturers. DT Swiss is another example . Vision another one.

You can buy Corima rims at ANY hole amount and build with ANY hub you want (incl Corima ) to get fully custom product for your requirements. Do Zipp offer you ANYTHING from mentioned above ?

From the other hand : buy Zipps, I will wait for your future posts : "my wheelset stuck on recall service for 3 months already, my wheels are not stiff- have rubbing even on moderate sprint, I broke several spokes- am I to heavy for Zipps ? .... Will be "fun" ;)

One extremely good thing worth to mention about Zipp is... marketing. I wish they could make half good wheels as they do marketing campaign of it.

Last : how anyone can consider Zipp as good product, when their R&D can't figure out so simple thing like reliable hub for over 20 years ??? EVERYONE ELSE DID. Long time ago. Except Zipp.

Weight : if you want clincher - you have ot pay for it in higher price and higher weight. No free lunch.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Being not your average lightweight rider, I am going to chime in with my Zipp experience.

I rode my 303/404 (tubs) combo every day and still race on my 404 set; while I did find the to be fairly stiff, I found there to be a lot of issues with the hubs - the pre-load on the rear was finicky at best and the source of a lot of headaches and brake rub. I also had troubles with the free hub body that required a replacement rear hub and the bearings in the front hub were junk every 5k km. :noidea:

I recently off loaded the 303/404 set and brought a cheap second hand set of 20mm deep light-bicycle wheels - even though they were cheap and an older model, they are worlds apart, no hub dramas, feel much stiffer and even though they tip the scales at 1100g they are my pick for every day wheels.

A set of Zipp wheels might be the dream wheelset, but you will be disappointed, with the quality, ride, price tag and constant problems. There are certainly much better alternatives out there. :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

at your height and weight you should consult a custom wheel builder. t11 or kings in a 24/28 count would be my choice..
you will wreck the rear zipp. contact Jonny at Noble wheels and have a chat he's a boss http://www.noble-wheels.com