Zipp 303 or 404 for Do-it-All Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zipp 303 or 404

2016 Zipp 303 - 1625g
53%
2016 Zipp 404 - 1690g
47%

Total votes: 99

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

All i can say is that I have 303s and i'm 205lbs and they are great. Aero enough to help in a hard/tailwind and not too deep for crosswinds. Plenty strong, 4500 miles and still run true. And the choice of many pros that ran Paris-Roubaix.

You can't go wrong with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Concept2

by Concept2

I'm a bit lighter than you are (around 90 kg), and I opted to get a pair of FFWD f6c wheels. It might be overkill, but the 4 extra spokes in the front and back means I never deal with brake rub and I never have to be worried about breaking a spoke. Yes, they're heavy (according to the site, about 1.9kg), but I'm not to bothered by that since I don't race anyways. The hubs are by FFWD themselves, and have given me zero issues so far.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

ryanw wrote:I've always wanted a pair of Zipps and now I have the chance to purchase either a set of 303s or 404s (new Firecrest clinchers, 2016 v10 hubs, the good ones) for a very cheap price.

That is, until the next recall. :lol:

superdx

by superdx

Gazelleer wrote:
ryanw wrote:I've always wanted a pair of Zipps and now I have the chance to purchase either a set of 303s or 404s (new Firecrest clinchers, 2016 v10 hubs, the good ones) for a very cheap price.

That is, until the next recall. :lol:

This time the rear hub probably

Shogunade

by Shogunade

wow. a lot of not-happy zipp owners.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

It's called internet statistical bias. BTW.....the op was which zipps to get, not hey guys, let's re argue zipps vs others for the umpteenth time. Feel free to discuss other classics as well:
Tubbies vs clinchers
Electronic vs mechanical
Campy vs shimano
Etc, etc.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I'm 195cm and 100kg +/- 10 kg.. mostly plus. haha. I did choose the 404's over the 303's. Tried both out. And went with 404s because there is really no difference in weight and at out weight the sidewind really doesn't effect those wheels. I love them.

Shogunade

by Shogunade

get the 404...more carbon for the $

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just back from my Sunday ride (managed to get my first ever KOM :) ).....

On my way home, I went into the shop and looked at a pair of 303s. The carbon weave is a thing on beauty, best I've seen from any of the top brands. I really think Zipp have turned a corner and hopefully the v10 hubs will stand the test of time.

Discussing with the chap in my LBS who rides 303s, he suggests either will be fine for my needs. He's ordered in a pair of 404s and I'll make the decision at the end of the week.

I'm leaning towards the 404s even though they're slightly heavier. I would rather a solid rim that can take all my power out the pedals climbing, than one potentially weaker that will leave doubt / worry in my mind when really wanting to stamp on the pedals.

The 404s are 18/24 so enough in the rear for my god like power... haha
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Nejmann wrote:I'm 195cm and 100kg +/- 10 kg.. mostly plus. haha. I did choose the 404's over the 303's. Tried both out. And went with 404s because there is really no difference in weight and at out weight the sidewind really doesn't effect those wheels. I love them.

Thanks for the info mate. Good to hear some positive feedback from owners!

I'm hoping to get under 100kg this summer but I'm a big lad so never going to have Froomes skinny elbows lol...

Nejmann

by Nejmann

You're welcome. I know what you mean. We are more a Ian Stannard kind of riders.. ;-)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Haha, maybe on his off-season... He's still only 80kg!

dynaserve

by dynaserve

My Zipps are away at the moment for new front hubs... Anyhow can anyone comment on expected rim life? Mine seem to be holding up pretty well after 5,000km.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

dynaserve wrote:My Zipps are away at the moment for new front hubs... Anyhow can anyone comment on expected rim life? Mine seem to be holding up pretty well after 5,000km.

Under recall or just maintenance?

The web suggests the rims are fantastic and many are still going strong well over 10k kms.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabmaster

by tabmaster

FWIW, my experience of carbon wheelsets is thus:
1) My first carbon wheelset was a pair of Zipp 303. Okay, this was a few years ago (2007) and oh boy were they light! I was super made up with them, especially as I got them for a steal (£750 new!). One season raced and problems surfaced. The hubs, despite what others have experienced, were still okay. However, the spoke holes on the front started to crack around the nipples on three spokes. They were just out of warranty when I noticed.
2) Second set of wheels I got second hand, which were in almost new condition, was a pair of campag boras, for the sum of £600. I'm still riding them daily, six years later and they are as straight as a die. Supremely built, the only downside is if one breaks a spoke. The replacements are neither cheap nor easy to come by. Luckily, I've not needed one.
3) I have a friend who manufactures hubsets. I acquired a pair of Royce Ti hubs from him and after much research and conversation I sent them off to a fellow in Scotland by the name of Derek Mclay, who's company is called 'wheelsmith' - he can be found at www.wheelsmith.co.uk
After much deliberation I asked him to lace the hubs (I sent them to him) to a pair of 45mm deep (so 303 dimensions) carbon rims, which have dimples just like Zipp do but which have 4mm of carbon at the spoke drilling rather than Zipp's 2mm. This does make them a bit heavier but also makes them more durable. I've not got many miles in on them as yet but what I can say about them is this. As handbuilt wheels go, they look second to none in terms of them being put together properly. If you bust a spoke, Derek will send you another one for free! He uses Sapim spokes, which are the best bar none IMHO.
His rims are Taiwanese, gigantex, but then gigantex make the rims for campag boras as well!
My advice, should you be interested, is to avoid Zipp like the plague. The hubs seem unreliable with the recalls they've had and I feel they are under built. If you've got £££ to burn and are a flyweight then maybe. What has been said above about corima is almost certainly true: I know many clubmates who have corima rimmed wheels and I've only heard good things.
The second hand market for wheels is a buyers dream. Wheels do not seem to hold their value for some reason so one may be able to find a bargain but I'd insist on seeing them in the flesh before parting with any money. Handbuilt wheels are underrated. The ones I have from wheelsmith are eminently serviceable, should any replacement parts be needed. If you're only used to clinchers, don't discount tubs. They're lighter, roll more smoothly and I seem to puncture less on them too. Not for no reason are they still the racers choice. The only downside is if you do flat, you'll need to change the tub in the field or have an understanding missus and a mobile phone.
Armed with what I know now, if I were buying my first set of wheels, I'd still go for deep section carbon tubs, probably built by Mr McClay. Hubs, you can find a decent, reliable, hubsets from Royce, Chris King and others. Rim depth, 45-50mm is a do all rim depth. Not so deep as to be affected by cross winds, not so much carbon as to be heavy but deep enough to gain you that aero advantage.
Hope this is of some help,

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11