From CAAD8 to Supersix Evo HM? Good idea?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

island

by island

Hi everyone,
I have been using a CAAD 8 2011 for the last few years. It has mostly the stock Cannondale kit but I replaced the wheels with Camp. Zonda / 105 rear mech / Ultegra cassette / Fizik Arione / GP4000SII + latex inners 23mm / Sppedplay Zero / Bont Vaypor.... you get the idea - not a lightweight bike - must be around 9kg?

Anyway, I have had alot of fun with it - got it from a mate for something like £300 3 or 4 years ago and with what I've spent on it I am not massively invested.

I've been thinking about buying a new bike and was looking at titanium and also steel bikes like 853/931. I'm the first to admit that I don't know alot about bikes but was looking for something lighter and more 'racy'. I got a bit disappointed when I came to the conclusion that I couldn't really justify spending that much on a frame/bike.

What I was looking at:
Genesis Volare 931 - £1700 for frame & forks
No22 Great Divide - £2049 for frame
Enigma Evade £1399 for frame
Ritte Snob - £1999 for frame

Etc

I hadn't got much further than thinking - 'oh, I'd like a new bike, I'll buy a frame and build it up - let's look at frames I like the look of and maybe read a few reviews'.
I don't know much about geometry.

Anyway, as I say, I was reading around thinking - damn - I don't think I can drop that cash on a bike but I'd like a new bike - then I found this forum and had a delve - started to look at carbon bikes. I've always ignored them (yeah, stupid) as I am 6'2" / 90kg and thought that they were for 60kg whippets.

Found a few threads on the Supersix Evo hi-mod - looks interesting and noticed that it is possible to buy a 2015 frame for £750 (actually £625 ex-vat for me - I'm offshore. From Paul's Cycles).

I'm thinking of buying the team replica frame in a 58cm (current CAAD8 is 58cm).

#1 How would the geometry differ from the CAAD8 to the SSix Evo HM? (Bear with me I'm a newbie and need stuff spelt out!)

#2 I've seen builds drop down to sub 6kg - I think I am looking for a sweet spot financially between weight reduction and what I can afford. Could I get to around 7kg without dropping big money? Any recommendations on wheels that would be light and suitable for someone at 90kg? I like the Zondas but think I could get some carbon clinchers (is £500 enough?)

#3 Paul's also have a complete 2015 SSix Evo (non-HM) which is 105 5800 for £999 (£832 ex-vat). Would it make sense to buy this and use all the 105 on my CAAD8 (which would be a winter/commuter) but keep some parts on the SSix Evo like the chainset / seatpost etc. Or would I be better off getting the SSix Evo HM and buying all the parts I need. I guess I would also then have a spare set of wheels if I bought the SSix 105.... don't know if that is a good idea.

Well, I'm interested in the SSix Evo and would like to build up a bike from a frame and it looks like the HM would be a good price but could end up as a very good bike.

I don't race. I like heading out in the early morning with empty roads and trying to go fast for an hour or so. Mostly 20 to 25 miles but I try and do a 50 to 65 miler once a week with mates.
The bike I buy would have to last me for five years roughly - I don't buy and replace bikes regularly.
Thanks
Ed

Gavf

by Gavf

Have you considered a Chinese open mould frame? you can get a top quality lightweight (750g for 51cm) frame carbon frame+carbon fork+carbon seat post+carbon handlebar for about £350 delivered to your door, you can probably get a pair of 50mm carbon clinchers aswell and will still be under your budget.

check out the below thread, it is where i got the idead from, i ordered the WCB066, though mine hasn't been delivered yet.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I think if you went for a Supersix you would be very happy indeed! Especially a hi-mod. Admittedly I have one so I'm a little biased but I genuinely think it's a very hard frame to beat!! Especially with those kind of deals available from Paul's etc.
If I were you I would treat myself to a shiny new hi-mod frame and start buying nice quality lightweight parts as the budget allows until you have all you need to build it and in the meantime keep riding your CAAD8

island

by island

Thanks for the input - life is short - bit the bullet and ordered :)

£625 plus £70 delivery = £695

I'm hoping to budget as follows:
wheels: ~ £500
cockpit: ~ £300
drive: ~£500

So hoping to build a light-ish Supersix Evo HM for about £2000.

Any advice on suitable wheels for ~£500?
I am 90kg and have been using Campag. Zondas for the last 3 years (~1700g?)

Not sure if the frame will be gloss black with green highlights or matt black with grey and red highlights - Paul's site was a little ambiguous but have emailed to clarify - think I will be happy either way.

Shogunade

by Shogunade

You'll be fine.
I know people that have gone from the Synapse to the SS Evo and they love it.

nickf

by nickf

I was on a caad9 for around 4 years and went to a 2015 Evo hm with no issues. I haven't seen the geo of a caad8 but the change when I switched was minimal. Fantastic riding bikes btw. For the money I would skip the China stuff. If you can get a Evo hm within your budget is would go that route. For wheels build something up. Hplus son archetype rims, Lazer spokes 24/28, and bikehubstore.com hubs will get you a nice solid wheel at around 1500 grams without breaking the budget.

Marin

by Marin

Where did you find the HiMod frame?

Wookski

by Wookski

Sounds like you're on the right track- congrats on the new frame, evo's are hard to beat!

My only advice is please don't mix campy & shimano components, the world doesn't need any more shimagnolos! Fulcrum exists for this reason.

Good luck

island

by island

@Marin - there was a post on WW saying that Pauls Cycles had them on offer so I had a look at their site ( http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m6b0s25p0/ ... oad-Racing ).
There are also some complete bikes in their sale section.

@Wookski - not sure on components! Will keep it segregated tho'. Have always used Shimano for mtb/commuters/road so likely to be Shimano. Just unfamiliar with Campag (but love the Zondas).

@nickf - thanks for the wheel advice. I was looking at the Campag alloy range and the Eurus (1504g / £428) / Shamal (1479g / £525 [2-way]) look interesting & a step up from Zondas.
I also looked at low end carbon and carbon/alloy hybrids(?) but it looks like a decent alloy is better than a low end carbon?

At the higher end the Campag Bora One 35 clincher looked like a good allrounder but I think a grand is too much for me.

Thanks for the input - Ed

Gehenna

by Gehenna

For you wheelset, i would say a pair of DT Swiss R21's. Sub 1500g and i'd assume around 500 pounds (i believe around 550usd). Also like Zonda's but like others, mix-and-matching groups (shimagnolo) is annoying to see. Have fun

island

by island

It has arrived.
58cm frame - white/black with green - 910g
Forks (uncut) - 337g

:)

Junior7

by Junior7

You can send some pictures?

I'll change frame and this is one of the possibilities.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Pretty good idea. CAAD8 is already a good aluminum bike tho.

Cannot go wrong with Supersix HM.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I have no doubt the Evo is a fine frame. I own a CAAD7 and CAAD9. Excellent bikes. But I question your sizing. You said you are 6'2" tall. And your CAAD8 is 58cm. I am only 5'11" tall and both my Cannondales are 58cm frames. 57.5cm top tubes. And I have 12cm stems and the saddle all the way back on the rails on a seatpost with setback. And the Ergo levers at the very end of the bars, not sticking straight up and closer to the stem. You need the 60cm Evo frame. Not the 58cm frame. Your CAAD8 is/was too small for you. If its not too late, send the new Evo frame back and get the next bigger Evo frame. 60cm frame with a 59cm top tube. A nice new frame that does not fit is worthless.