Bald heads and helmets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

I've got a Kask Infinity helmet which is fine in winter when I'm wearing a hat under it but in summer it leaves deep grooves on my sensitive pate.
Anyone have any tips on which helmets are most comfortable for those of us who are 'follicly challenged"?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I always use a headsweats shorty for that very reason. It keeps the sun and the occasional stinging winged insect off my head, and keeps sweat from dripping in my eyes.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Giro Aeon.

by 11.4

I ran into the same issue with the Kask. It also was very hot and we who are follicularly challenged can tell you that hair can be very useful for matters like this.

For Texas summers, I tried a variety of helmets. Hands down, the best for ventilation and also the best for not leaving impressions on your scalp that still show when you walk back into the office is the POC Octal MIPS. The whole idea behind the MIPS design is to be smooth against your skin so other MIPS designs may work well also, but I can certainly vouch for the Octal MIPS.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Another vote for Heatsweats Shorty. I wear mine every ride and they last forever. Soaks up sweat and provides essential protection from the sun.

boysa

by boysa

I started with Headsweats, but have moved to Sweathawg helmet liners. I love them, and I prefer the fact they stay in the helmet. You can remove the original liner and replace it with their version.
Last edited by boysa on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

RussellS

by RussellS

Nashbar sells many different head coverings to use under/inside a helmet.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDi ... &metaData=

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

I use a Kask Mojito and am similarly gorgeous (bald). I almost always wear something under it - a Buff in the winter (single or double layered, depending on the chill) or a cycling cap in the summer - keeps sun out of edge of my oakleys and also stops the sweat dripping. Those work well for me. My main issue as a baldy is sweating - i need something to mop it up a bit as stinging eyes on the bike is annoying. Also it stops you getting stripey sunburn marks if you underestimate the UV levels!

baldy

by baldy

Specialized Prevail. No problems with my bald noggin.

Rick

by Rick

I am virtually bald. I always just wear something similar to a "Headsweats" or "Halo" headcover. Just vary the weight of the material by the weather.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

boysa wrote:I started with Headsweats, but have moved to Sweathawg helmet liners. I love them, and I prefer the fact they stay in the helmet.

Is the Sweathawg liner thinner than a Headsweat (where the terry band is)? Thanks.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I use a Castelli summer skullcap. It wicks the sweat, makes the helmet (Catlike Mixino) fit super comfortable, and keeps the dome from burning in the summer sun. http://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Accessories/Headwear/SUMMER-SKULLCAP/p/451604316P

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I've been using a SweatVac head cover for years, in the AZ sun. Works perfectly.

I'm currently using a Giro Synthe, and don't notice any extra perceived heat with the SweatVac on, even in the summer.

boysa

by boysa

sanrensho wrote:
boysa wrote:I started with Headsweats, but have moved to Sweathawg helmet liners. I love them, and I prefer the fact they stay in the helmet.

Is the Sweathawg liner thinner than a Headsweat (where the terry band is)? Thanks.

I use the x2 version, which is a little thicker in the area that rests on your forehead. I do this because in order to have the liner stay inside, you actually remove some of the helmets original liner. If you have the type of helmet with velcro, the Sweathawg liner sticks to that. Currently I'm using a Kask Vertigo, and the liner for me serves two purposes: 1. Keep my head from getting sunburned; 2. Soak up the sweat.

I find it does both of these things just as well or better than any of the alternatives (and believe me, I've tried them all) while at the same time providing much greater cooling.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I think some of the advice here is heading in the wrong direction.
From what I understand the OP is bald (like me) and is seeking a helmet that when worn does not result in visible grooves being left in his scalp from contact points.
I also suffer from this issue and have found that helmet liners don't really alleviate the problem. I carry a cap for when I am off the bike or just wear the scalp grooves as a badge of honor until they go away, which can be quite some time. I have been using a Giro helmet lately and that was loads better than my Casco at alleviating pressure points. Just received a Lazer helmet and the Rollsys system seems to allow the helmet to sit on my head securely without needing to crank down the straps as much as on the Giro and Casco. Could be a winner in the scalp groove reduction department.
Some liners may help, but none will eliminate the problem. Finding a helmet that truly fits your head shape is a good start.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com