Best frameset under 2k in your opinion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Hi,

The title says it all, I hope.
I'd like to see what you think..

PS: carbon only :)

maquisard

by maquisard

Why carbon only, a Caad10 or Caad12 will be far superior to a cheap carbon frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Best for what ? Crits, cobbles, time trial, climbing, granfondo, commuting ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

iliedanila

by iliedanila

maquisard wrote:Why carbon only, a Caad10 or Caad12 will be far superior to a cheap carbon frame.

I have tested the Caad 12 and I think I prefer carbon for the roads in Romania because it's silent and more forgiving.
stormur wrote:Best for what ? Crits, cobbles, time trial, climbing, granfondo, commuting ?

General riding, I usually do 60 to 100 km rides with my friends, most of those rides involve 1000+ meters of climbing (and descending).
So, I prefer a race geometry (don't really feel the need for endurance) and would be nice if the frame (without forks) weights under 1Kg.
The most important criteria for me is the the feel. (I want to feel the bike friendly, forgiving and also very composed, specially for the downhill part).

stormur

by stormur

BH Ultralight
BMC SLR 0x
Ridley Helium
NeilPryde Bura
Focus Izalco
Argon 18
Wilier Zero9/ 101SR

But my best bet would be Orbea Orca. New Orca is simply fabulous. And you avoid (mostly) "common" frames like Spec's, Trek, Cervelo... Not they're bad; not at all. Just at least one behind every corner ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Beancouter

by Beancouter

What currency? Euro, sterling or dollar? If sterling I think the new Evo hi mod team at £2k (with seatpost) is a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junchen

by junchen

A bit troublesome, but u can order the canyon ultimate cf SLX complete bike, sell the individual parts and your frame is likely to come in at sub 2k eur. It's a new frame which was launched in 2015, top 3 in 2015 tdf. Frame weight 780g

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

I agree that the orca seems to be a great option, but it is closer to 3k.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Beancouter wrote:What currency? Euro, sterling or dollar? If sterling I think the new Evo hi mod team at £2k (with seatpost) is a great deal.

Euros, basically.
I do agree the new Evo is a wonderful frame. It's just that BB30A that I have troubles with (I have Shimano cranks and I like the shifting performance too much to consider changing them).
Lightweenie wrote:I agree that the orca seems to be a great option, but it is closer to 3k.

For real?? Anyone have some links with that?
junchen wrote:A bit troublesome, but u can order the canyon ultimate cf SLX complete bike, sell the individual parts and your frame is likely to come in at sub 2k eur. It's a new frame which was launched in 2015, top 3 in 2015 tdf. Frame weight 780g

Again a very good choice, it's just that it's hard around here to sell anything for a decent price. And there's the waiting's Canyon is famous for...

Other frames I considered by now are the Cervelo S3 and Cinelli Very best of (you got silver).

Thanks again for your suggestions, it seems that I have options I haven't considered by now..

Marin

by Marin

Best for the money? Probably still the FR-066. With the 1500 you'll have left, you can build it up to 6.5kg easy.

thprice

by thprice

Marin wrote:Best for the money? Probably still the FR-066. With the 1500 you'll have left, you can build it up to 6.5kg easy.

+1 FM066 from Hongfu or similar has a good reputation.

cobrakai

by cobrakai

Felt F1 frameset is $1999 so just barely under. The S3 seems like a very good choice but is $2300, the R3 is right at $2000 however.

emcardle

by emcardle

cobrakai wrote:Felt F1 frameset is $1999 so just barely under. The S3 seems like a very good choice but is $2300, the R3 is right at $2000 however.

Euros...

cobrakai

by cobrakai

emcardle wrote:
cobrakai wrote:Felt F1 frameset is $1999 so just barely under. The S3 seems like a very good choice but is $2300, the R3 is right at $2000 however.

Euros...

Oops, sorry missed that.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

A Canyon frameset. Hands down. You don't need the greatest and latest from them as you would have to wait. Inquire what framesets they have in stock and potentially save some coin for the build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com