Another "what bike next?" question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jonloh

by jonloh

Ok, here's another "what road bike should I get next?" question.

I currently have two road bikes -
1. Parlee Z5SL - 5.8kg, awesome carbon frame with SRAM Red and Zipp wheels.
2. CAAD10 - 7kg, amazing aluminium frame with SRAM Rival and Reynolds tubulars or Fulcrum Racing Zeros (if I wanted to ride on clinchers).

The Parlee is my do-it-all bike but I don't race with it because it is too precious. :lol: I train and race with my CAAD10 and it is also my crappy weather bike.

So the question, if I am looking at getting a third road bike, what kind of bike should I get? I will not be replacing the Parlee or CAAD, so I want something different from my current bikes. And I want a pure road bike - no gravel/CX bikes.

I was initially thinking of getting a Ti frame (or maybe a nice Steel frame such as the Speedvagen OG1) to complement my carbon and aluminum bikes. I think a Ti/steel frame will give me a totally different ride experience than the stiff carbon/aluminum bikes that I have now. I could fit the Ti/steel bike with my Fulcrum Racing Zeros.

But my mate suggested that I get an aero bike instead since neither the Parlee nor the CAAD is aero. I have not ridden an aero bike and I ride in flattish terrain so that is also a good suggestion. But another carbon/aluminium bike? :noidea:

What do you guys think?? Different frame material or different type of bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LEC135

by LEC135

Interesting - I've got exactly the same set up and have simply decided I don't need another bike! Every now and then I consider getting a new bike but I don't want discs or electronic gearing and don't like the look of the new Parlee's so I can't find anything I'd want more.

If I was pushed for another bike It would be an old school mountain bike decked out as a city/ pub bike (Overbury's Pioneer anyone?)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Interesting question.
I hate riding trainer, so when cold season started 2015 i thought many times, if i could have more use for a bike that could handle wider tires, even studded winter tires.
Also handle quick reliable braking and possibly broaden the range of where i actually can cycle.
I looked high and low for options and fell in love with one build i had in mind.
After immense waiting time (4½ months) i finally got out (yesterday).
I must say, this is radically different from all full blown road bikes.
For instance, comfort! Where my road bikes chatter and traction is lesser, this bike just float and traction is superb.
The increase of comfort is enormous!
The fun-factor is immense bashing all you can on roads i hardly could ride with my road bikes.

What is on the downside is the pure tarmac riding. The bike weights more, the tires are fatter and it is obvious it require more input riding tarmac. If you get a full blown aero bike, i guess to really find the gains, you would ride close to like you do riding a TT bike.
Positioned low, get the aero helmet, clothes and go all in (no half hearted commitment)!

Jumping between road bikes was for me, liking poking around with microscopic changes compared to moving over to a bike like Open cycles UP.
I had not grasped this if i never had went this route.

But if you are in it for just speed and what comes with that decision, maybe aero is for you?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I also have a Parlee Z5SLi and a Al bike to mostly race (Specialized Allez)... but I occasionally race the Parlee too just because. I added a third and it was a TT bike
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

nickf

by nickf

You already have a good fleet so naturally i would suggest a nice steel bike. I have a supersix evo hm and a lugged steel frame i built that i rotate through. With a English on order. I do love the carbon for the weight and those fast rides but nothing beats the ride of nice steel. Speedvagen, Chris king cielo, Mosaic, Pegoretti, spectrum, firefly, and the list goes on. The only thing i dont like about most builders now are all similar. Paragon dropout, welded, fancy paint, ugly 44mm headtubes with a small diamiter TT stuck to it. Looks like hell. So you gotta look past the paint and look at the details. Speedvagen really does have a well thought out. Built with stainless inserts on contact points and so on. Threaded BB and straight 1 1/8 fork is the ticket for steel.

jonloh

by jonloh

Thanks each and everyone for your insightful replies!

I must say, wheelsONfire's comment "Jumping between road bikes was for me, liking poking around with microscopic changes" really made me think long and hard.

I suppose a Ti/steel bike will be something a bit more different than an aero bike. I just came across Kualis Ti frames (http://kualis.cc/) and wow, I think I am in love.... :oops:

I will definitely keep you guys updated with my eventual choice.....

By the way, LEC135 - I can't agree with you more - the newer Parlees do not appeal to me (at least aesthetically) as much as the older ones.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Agree on the Ti idea. Get one with a minimum of 28 mm tires. Will provide a very different ride and allow gravel riding or open the door to some less than pristine roads which are a necessary evil at times. An aero bike will be too much like the other bikes. If you get a 3rd bike it should serve a new purpose. Ti absorbs road vibrations and dampens bad roads in a way carbon does not. I'm loving my Firefly however the gravel geometry makes it less than an ideal race bike, but perfect for winter and dirt.

Threaded bb will provide for easy maintenance add add to ease of resale. All my bikes are threaded bb, English style.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

kgt

by kgt

I would go for inox steel. Something modern and classy like:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jonloh wrote:Thanks each and everyone for your insightful replies!

I must say, wheelsONfire's comment "Jumping between road bikes was for me, liking poking around with microscopic changes" really made me think long and hard.

I suppose a Ti/steel bike will be something a bit more different than an aero bike. I just came across Kualis Ti frames (http://kualis.cc/) and wow, I think I am in love.... :oops:

I will definitely keep you guys updated with my eventual choice.....

By the way, LEC135 - I can't agree with you more - the newer Parlees do not appeal to me (at least aesthetically) as much as the older ones.

I am not kidding and i am picky. I have had my route.

From Scott Foil to custom made Ti bike, i even changed bike so i got a second. From that to Vial EVO D and next (just now) Open Cycle UP.

I can say in complete honesty, this is so funny! The comfort in my build was what i decided to maximize and i paid off.

In comparison, i now see that all what i have done to my road bikes, is minuscule in terms of ultimate ride feel.

So, if you do feel that you want an experience, you should go this route!

If i would go for a road bike, i would go for steel of ti.
Why?

I am sure steel is more comfortable. Most ti bike of today, are made to be stiff.

So the expected gains in comfort are not that big. Many carbon bikes actually can be better.

However, if you build a gravel, you can use seat post, saddle, specific wheels and fatter tires.

I will send you a link where you can see my build (PM)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Mep

by Mep

My vote is for an aero bike. There's something special about a super light aero build and knowing that you're possibly on the fastest bike technology today can offer.

Shogunade

by Shogunade

Moots or Speedvagen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ste_S

by Ste_S

I'd go second hand steel and build up a nice vintage road bike for cafe runs.