Carbon Frame & AL Wheels Vs Quality AL Frame & Carbon Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Carbon Frame & AL Wheels Vs Quality AL Frame & Carbon Wheels

Mid Level Carbon Frame with High Level Alloy Wheels
48%
High Level Alloy Frame with Mid Level Carbons Wheels
52%

Total votes: 58

jeffy

by jeffy

Thought this would provoke an interesting discussion / poll

Mid Level Carbon Frame with High Level Alloy Wheels

Vs

High Level Alloy Frame with Mid Level Carbons Wheels

Couple of Examples (just examples) feel free to give your own combination, let's talks weight and ride quality.

Emonda ALR with Fulcrum Carbon Quattro
    CAAD 12 with Reynolds Assault

Vs

Supersix Evo with Dura Ace C25
    Emonda AL with Fulcrum Racing Zero
    TCR Advance Pro with Ksyrium Pro Exalith.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

High level alloy frame will most likely be heavier, but if I was never going to upgrade my bike again after purchase then I would go with alloy frame and carbon wheels.

But if you might want to upgrade your bike down the track (e.g. buy carbon wheels for it) I'd be more inclined to get the carbon frame and buy carbon wheels for it later. (most likely end up lighter overall than the alloy frame.

Also, have you considered buying a TCR advanced pro complete bike? Here in Aus the complete bikes come with carbon wheels.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

duvivr6

by duvivr6

this comparison does not really work out.

All the wheels you mentioned are around the same price range.
Weight wise they are very close also.

So then you can just pick Alu vs Carbon wheels on whatever bike.
For me if you live in the flat lands then carbon all the way.
If you climb lots I prefer to have a set of aluminum at least in the winter time.

emcardle

by emcardle

Throw in the Specialized allez sprint too!

kgt

by kgt

I agree with duvivr6, the combos mentioned are not that 'helpful'

AJS914

by AJS914

If you are on a budget buy a used bike. You can find a top end bike that sat in some guys garage unriden for 25% of the original retail. I have even gotten a free frame a few times because I bought the whole bike to get a frame and after I sold off parts on ebay the frame was free.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

What's the obsession with high end carbon wheels? Extra ~ 3 watts?! Invest into high end frame instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

eric

by eric

Carbon wheels do nothing for ride quality. If anything they are slightly rougher.
Carbon frame on the other hand, can have an effect on ride.

jimborello

by jimborello

It is always easier to upgrade a wheelset than a frameset so Ill choose the carbon frameset. Plus you can keep the alu wheels as trainers if you want to buy some cool carbon wheels later

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I'd choose the best frame I could afford and then spend most of the rest of my budget on the groupset. I'd get decent but cheap Alu wheels like Campy Zondas and start saving for the upgrade. As others said the frame is hard to change but the other parts are easy enough; you'll always need a decent set of Alu wheels even if you buy carbons
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Frame, then wheels.....group has the least effect on the performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

I think this is a situation of "Horses for courses." You can build a very light bike either way.

Where I live it's very flat, very windy, but the roads look like Baghdad. I'd probably take the carbon frame to dampen the road buzz with a set of standard wheels to hold up to the punishment. But my selection might be very different if I lived elsewhere or were using the bike for a different type of racing or riding. ie Crit racing vs. Brevet.

grilledcheese

by grilledcheese

If I had to add n+1 to the stable, I would go aluminum with carbon wheels. Make a race machine that I wouldn't have to worry about crashing on.

KimJaeCheon

by KimJaeCheon

in my opinion carbon frame is better than a frame with carvon wheel
If in the future you are upgrading your wheels

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Proper dialed in frame geometry for your body should always be the first consideration in regards to performance and choosing a bike. Make sure you know your ideal stack and reach, which can be determined by an expert fitter that can fit you on an adjustable stationary bike. Any reasonably light and stiff design will do. Whether its carbon or steel or anything in between is an afterthought IMO...

But supposing all geometries were the same, I would go with a mid level alloy frame with perfect geometry, and get some carbon clinchers with an alloy braking surface and good hubs, such as the Shimano Dura Ace C35 or something.... However, if you only ride on the flats with no heavy braking, a straight up carbon clincher is fine.

As far as the frame goes, a mid level vs. high end frame wont offer a huge advantage. Maybe a little lighter, stiffer, and more aero. But not by a large margin. Go with something mid level that fits like a glove, and go high end on the wheels and tires. And dont forget the good quality bike fitting, proper gearing, and power meter!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com