Carbon Frame & AL Wheels Vs Quality AL Frame & Carbon Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Carbon Frame & AL Wheels Vs Quality AL Frame & Carbon Wheels

Mid Level Carbon Frame with High Level Alloy Wheels
48%
High Level Alloy Frame with Mid Level Carbons Wheels
52%

Total votes: 58

ab01ns

by ab01ns

I'm a racer so my take on this is kind of different. I'd go with a nice alloy frame like an Allez sprint or something and go for the nice wheels. Imo, wheels affect the feel of a bike far more so than the frame(as far as stiffness and feel when accelerating/motoring on the flats goes) provided the frames are of reasonable and comparable stiffness. The CF frame will just make the road feel better and help dampen vibrations.
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I don't think we can properly answer this question without knowing the purpose of the bike.

For example, I own both options. I have an Argon-18 Gallium Pro with a set of CK R45 hubs laced to Kinlin XR-22T rims, and I have a Specialized Allez Sprint, on which I run either Reynolds DV46s or Zipp 404s (tubular).

The Argon is the bike I take out on long group rides, to the mountains, and some RRs. It's a super comfortable ride, and I like the improved braking on the aluminum rims.

The Specialized is the bike I take to crits and other RRs. It's fast and aggressive. I don't find it uncomfortable to ride, but it isn't as nice a ride as the Argon.

So, to reiterate my point - what is the intended purpose of this bike?

Hamilton

by Hamilton

I have both options. The carbon wheels are tubular. I believe that the aluminum bike with the carbon wheels is faster, but less comfortable.
But a CAAD or Allez can be had so inexpensively I'd add, that aluminum bike + carbon tubulars + power meter > carbon bike without a PM

Sam

by Sam

A carbon frame with the so called mid level wheels would be my choice. Agreed that the material do not dictate the quality, only the engineering and build does. I regard all the frames you mention as solid stuff. Sure a Cannondale Supersix Evo might not compare to a Parlee of some sort price wise, but it does performance wise.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I got a low end Fuji SL frame and looking to replace the heavy stock wheels. Most of the city roads are smooth and would suit carbon wheels but the local mountains have loads of rough cat 2 and cat 3 descents and climbs. I was thinking buy some lighter alloy wheels like Dt Swiss Dicut RR 21 or some Shimano RS81 C35 a bit more aero carbon wheels with alloy brake tracks.

RussellS

by RussellS

My opinion. I agree with most of what has been written. Opinions and arguments for and against each combination. I could probably logically argue both ways and back and be right and wrong on everything at the same time. Not sure there is a right or wrong choice. But for me personally, I would choose the better carbon frame with aluminum wheels over a good aluminum with carbon wheels. I think I have good carbon and good aluminum frames. Aluminum wheels on everything. I prefer the carbon frame. Not because I notice any superiority or inferiority in either. Just a feeling. Unfounded feeling with no basis at all. I'd go with the carbon frame.

gsindela

by gsindela

I know this guy is a little out there, but at least he takes a stand... (spoiler alert: he rants that carbon wheels are a total rip off)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcIKKK6nBXk
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post