Need to lower bike weight, collecting thoughts, advice.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eyedrop

by eyedrop

I ride/race a 1999 Trek 2000T 47cm that weighs 9.16kg (20.2 lbs) with pedals. With loaded saddle bag, full bottle, and computer it weighs like 24lbs!

I realize this is a pretty low end bike, but I really like the geometry of the frame and love having a triple. The hills around here can be very steep, and I train and race on the same bike and prefer having bailout gears and being good to go on recovery days...

Also, I love the old school style of quill stems and alloy frames with horizontal top tubes.... Do you think I can make it reasonably competitive for racing against modern carbon bikes? I know its mostly about the engine, not the bike. But I would still like to be on a race worthy bike.

It has a complete, excellent condition RSX groupset with triple cranks, a great condition 650c Felt TTR2 wheelset with Powertap 2.4 hub, Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires, XTR PD-M980 pedals, and an ISM Adamo Century saddle (which im keeping).

I just ordered a Bontrager Race Flat Top handlebar, because I dont like the stock bars. I havent put them on yet, Im waiting to see my fitter about getting a proper sized quill stem (that isnt ugly!)...

I am sort of stuck figuring out where to shave weight. The Powertap hub is very heavy, and even a super expensive wheelset with my Powertap is still going to be around 1500gr, so Im not sure if its worth it over my current 1750gr set. If I do upgrade the wheels, Im thinking of getting a 38mm eBay Chinese carbon set which is reasonably priced and a complete build would be around 1550gr, and be more aero than my current wheels....

I also have been looking at possibly upgrading the groupset to a Dura Ace 7703 triple. Some questions I have are whether the FC-7703 will fit in my bottom bracket (Shimano BB-LP27, 68 x 118), and whether it will work using an 8 speed chain... Im also unsure if my RSX 8 speed shifters will work with the 7703 front and rear GS derailleur using an 8 speed cassette...

Or should I just nickel and dime it with things like a lightweight stem, seat post, skewers, lighter pedals, light chain, etc? Im only looking to get it to a reasonable weight for racing for a reasonable cost...

Sorry if Im rambling, but I just don't know where to start :oops: ....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

With all due respect that is not a bike suitable for you to invest money in for the purpose of lightening. Also your present choices are inconsistent with lightening the bike. If you seriously want a lighter bike, buy a complete new one. A compact double crank is likely the best you can do for lower gears. Similar ride feel should not be hard to come by with a little test riding effort. Or just enjoy the current bike as is. IMO it doesn't really support any investment.
Robert

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I agree on saving your parts budget on this bike and simply getting a new bike. You will be amazed at the difference of a more modern bike, shifting, ride quality, etc.
Plus, there are some frames in that size that will be able to build around a 700c wheelset and allow you better choice of tires, rims, etc.
Keep this one as a back up bike or sell it to fund something more current.

AJS914

by AJS914

One thing you could do that is practically free is lighten up that saddle pack. Actually, you might want to buy a smaller one as yours is gigantic. I carry one tube, one tire lever, a light multi-tool, patch kit, and a couple of stick on patches as emergency backups. Plus I have money and a cell phone.

Some relatively inexpensive stuff (or stuff that could also be used on another bike) are lightweight road pedals and shoes, seatpost, saddle, bars, and stem. Road pedals/shoes could potentially save a pound over the mountain gear.