Thoughts on the 2016 Scott foil

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jakehaslam

by Jakehaslam

I know there are other threads discussing this, I am just new and having a hard time navigating. BUT I am looking at picking up the Scott Foil 10. I am curious what everyone's opinion about the bike is. Whether you have the bike or not. Do any of you know if rear brake and crank clearance cause a lot of issues? IE with a garmin cadence sensor? If not the Scott Foil, what would you look at getting?

Broady

by Broady

Good enough for a Paris Roubaix win, for what's that worth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Old Scott Foil for sure!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Jakehaslam

by Jakehaslam

JasperGr wrote:Old Scott Foil for sure!

What would make you take the old foil vs new? Heard the old frame is very stiff.

Jakehaslam

by Jakehaslam

Broady wrote:Good enough for a Paris Roubaix win, for what's that worth.

True, if a pro can put it through its paces on the pro tour,, should be good enough for the rest of us.

LouisN

by LouisN

Yep.

You would have asked this question before april 10 2016, most of the answers would have been: Too stiff, uncomfortable, "Arse-destroyer", etc...
After april 10 2016: NOw it's the best all-round bike in the world. Can do-it-all, conformtable, aero, etc... :lol:

:roll:

Louis :)

Jakehaslam

by Jakehaslam

LouisN wrote:Yep.

You would have asked this question before april 10 2016, most of the answers would have been: Too stiff, uncomfortable, "Arse-destroyer", etc...
After april 10 2016: NOw it's the best all-round bike in the world. Can do-it-all, conformtable, aero, etc... :lol:

Very true! It seems everywhere I read, it all seems to be positive. I keep finding my self asking, "is it too good to be true?" Just trying to make sure this is really the bike I want to pull the trigger on.

ms6073

by ms6073

Wonder when Scott will be introducing a disc brake version?

Hey, who threw that? (ducks for cover to avoid object being hurled at head) :mrgreen:
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Jakehaslam wrote:
JasperGr wrote:Old Scott Foil for sure!

What would make you take the old foil vs new? Heard the old frame is very stiff.

In those 3 years that I own one I never though it was too harsh. You just need good tires and rims

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Jakehaslam wrote:
LouisN wrote:Yep.

Very true! It seems everywhere I read, it all seems to be positive. I keep finding my self asking, "is it too good to be true?" Just trying to make sure this is really the bike I want to pull the trigger on.

The new Foil was designed from scratch to be compliant since the original Foil had complaints of being too harsh.
As far as from what i have heard, it was that and an issue with seat post slipping.
So nope, the new Foil i would never expect being an arse destroyer.
Actually i sold my own due to just that single issue, being too harsh.

The V2 i would expect being a great frame/ bike.

Possibly Madone is even better, talking comfort.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kgt

by kgt

The reviews on the previous foil have not been great. But the new foil seems fine. Aero enough, light enough, comfortable enough. Not the most hi-tec frame but maybe the best aero frame overall (this and the new Madone).

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

I have the old foil and I don't find the ride harsh or uncomfortable. For me it just keeps wanting to go go go! Although I would like to try the new foil just to compare :)

tinozee

by tinozee

I think the new foil is cool. Scott makes good quality stuff. It looks a little odd in larger sizes but in medium small I think it looks hot kinda. At least while it's being ridden it does. Check Bling Matthews setup, he has a couple wins on it this year already. I like the Addict as well.

Not sure if you saw this bit of sprint bike handling but it was sick. Bouhanni is a prick, I would love to box him.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I must be totally off.

I see the typical trend, as fast as a bike or whatever is seen used by pro riders people want it.
The more the merrier. It turns me off. I never understand how some want a bike just like a pro, same team kit, all same same.
I like the more stealth looks (anonymous).
If i am cycling and people are looking and rather obvious, i feel "oh no", i hope it's not going to be like this.
If so, i rather not use or wear that stuff.

But whenever i talk to a dealer, they assume people like to mimic or copy the pro team riders.
I really don't get it!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

tinozee

by tinozee

I don't really get what you are talking about. If you race, it's not that you want to look like someone else. You typically start to understand why teams get what they get for gear. And all of this material crap is secondary to your body. I started to race at age 9 in 1980 and very soon after that started to be a fan of trinkets and boutique parts typical BMX ano bits. But then I got out of that and into wanting everything factory kit. The tricking out of the bike with those parts starts to seem like the waste of time. It's just a preference, some like sport. We wanted to BE on the team, not look like them lol. And any kit/bike you got that year was your tool. It's like in private school, where everyone wears the same thing, and the focus comes off of how you look, and on how you perform.

If you want to be a free rider and fly under the radar that's cool too. But not everyone in a team kit on a race bike wants to be a pro. They may just like to race. And many don't judge at all, especially on material choices. I like to see how people ride first no matter what they are on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com