After the recent events are you pro or against disc brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

After the recent events in the Paris-Roubaix, are you in favor or opposed to disc brakes?

In favor
39%
Opposite
53%
I do not know yet
8%

Total votes: 140

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

I thought to open this poll to evaluate which is now the position of the opinions about disc brakes.

>>>ATTENTION<<<<

ONLY VOTE
NO REPLY!!!

PLEASE TO REPLY GO HERE:

viewtopic.php?t=138714
Last edited by REDUTOPIA on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't personally care for what the pro riders do (honestly)!
But i guess disc brakes danger is if your ride in groups and ride tight!?

I see a benefit especially if it is damp, wet, dirty or such.

Wet rim braking is not good! I also very much dislike when there's a lot of goop spraying on rims and when you brake (rim brake) you risk to damage the rims.
But for dry road riding, i think most if not all still don't complain on rim brakes.

So perhaps, this is a bit pending on how and when or where do we ride?

So the question is, can a poll really manage the dynamics of this difference?
Or should we take a stand generalizing or equalizing conditions?

I am both in favor, but for both disc and rim brakes.

My road bikes have rim brakes. My new hybrid (road/gravel) have disc brakes.
Personally i am fine with that.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Broady

by Broady

Do we have any proof that the accident was a result of the disc rotor?

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

I suggest to continue the debate here: viewtopic.php?t=138714

And continue here only the poll without reply to avoid confusion.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I feel sorry for this RedUtopia. I did not mean to brake away from your question!
Ofcourse you can have a poll. I just tried to say, it's hard to just give one answer to this as it (at least for me) can be both yes and know in some cases.

Do you want a disc brake version of NK1K :wink: ?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Don't worry my friend, I understand, but only do not want to offend those who have opened that topic or create dispersion of answers.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Answer is more nuanced. It's not clear disc brakes belong in road races. The accident reminds us of one reason why they should not. Disc brakes do provide clear benefits on commuter bikes and mountain bikes. The benefit is far from obvious on road bikes and there will always be accidents in races. Disc brakes will certainly facilitate faster riding and in a crash those rotors can cause serious injuries potentially far worse than what the op is referring to. I'm also concerned about those weekend pace-line rides by ride clubs where accidents happen as well with many riders less experienced than the pros. Jeanie is out of the bottle however, so for now we're all guinea pigs including the pros. Eventually the manufacturers will fine-tune the technology to reduce some of the dangers, maybe heat shields or ways to limit the hot rotor from impacting the riders leg in a crash. We'll probably see some class action law-suits at some point even though the threat of injury was discussed way in advance.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

L3X

by L3X

I voted in favor of discs, though what it comes down to for me is the industry discussing and sticking with one standard (fast wheel change etc.) + appropriate safety precautions.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

>>>ATTENTION<<<<

ONLY VOTE
NO REPLY!!!

PLEASE TO REPLY GO HERE:

viewtopic.php?t=138714

Marin

by Marin

Why shouldn't we reply? Here is as good a place as any to speak out against disc brakes.

I really do hope they go the way of road bike suspension forks (RockShox) and frames (Pinarello). Currently, I think the industry might have a chance to win this, but if we take a stand we could maybe still avoid this fiasco.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Because there is the debate here:
viewtopic.php?t=138714

So please do not reply in this topic to avoid dispersion of answers.

This is only a topic of poll.

Please

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

I have changed my mind on this subject. I was of the opinion to let people race what they want but if it does increase the chance of injury (and in the other thread there is a pretty graphic picture of someone's split open skull) then it's just not worth it. The riders are contesting with the motos as well. We need to minimise the chance of injury.

By all means amateurs can ride what they want but in mass start events I think we limit risk.

Rim brakes work well enough and don't cause injury. There is no need for change in racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Marin wrote:Why shouldn't we reply? Here is as good a place as any to speak out against disc brakes......

I agree
REDUTOPIA wrote:Because there is the debate here:....

If no one replies, the thread quickly drops off the visibilty of anyone looking for a conversation.

I only search for "View Active Topics" when I come to this forum. Not active, might as well not exist.

I have nothing to say on disc brakes. I only posted in this thread because you asked me not to. :wink: :twisted: :wink: :beerchug:

Also, the other thread is on to page six. Everyone on the Internet should know by now.... All useful answers to a thread will likely come in the first two pages. Once the thread is longer than that, it's either:
- a pissing match.
- full of pictures.

:thumbup:

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

I want just add reporting this:
Open letter: Fran Ventoso
I’ve spent thirteen years in the pro cycling peloton and another thirteen moving up the ladder in youth categories. That makes it 26 years on my bike, training every day, enjoying what I like most, my passion. Since I was six, I’ve enjoyed racing, and I continue to do so. I’m so happy to have turned my vocation into a dream job.
Just like in any other sport, cycling has evolved in many technical aspects. However, it has not done so in others in a way we’d all have liked.
Through all these years, I’ve witnessed many improvements on different parts of the bike and cycling apparel. We started off with steel, then aluminum, and later on, carbon. That last one came here to stay, since it was as rigid as we needed while also offering lightness. We’ve also stopped using toeclips for clipless pedals, much more comfortable, effective and secure. Days are long gone when we used hairnet helmets: modern ones are now lighter, beautiful to the eye and offer absolute security guarantees when you use them.
I’ve also seen very important improvements on gearing. My first bike had one chainring and three sprockets; nowadays, we use two chainrings, even three, and 11 sprockets… and I’m certain it won’t end there. Technology evolution has been a sort of trial and error: getting to this point hasn’t been easy. I remember how easily chains were broken when we first used ten sprockets: links that broke, because of materials still not as resistant as it was required… it still happens today. We could also talk about the revolution that has brought the electronic shifting. When it was first shown and used, we all were surprised and made early judgments: it’s not necessary, it might not work well, carrying batteries seems wrong, having to connect your bike to AC is bonkers… And now, we can’t imagine our bikes without it.
My point is: two years ago, we started seeing disc brakes put on cyclocross bikes, and the rumour was that there could be a chance that they be tested in road cycling events.
Beforehand, I want to make this clear: I’m so in favor as anyone else that cyclocross professionals or participants in sportives enjoy the advantages of disc brakes during their rides.
But then, there’s pro road cycling events. Was there really anyone who thought things like Sunday’s wouldn’t happen? Really nobody thought they were dangerous? Nobody realized they can cut, they can become giant knives?
At Paris-Roubaix, only two teams used them. With eight riders each, that makes it sixteen, carrying a total 32 disc brakes into the peloton. Let me take you to 130km into the race: into a cobbled section, a pile-up splits the field, with riders falling everywhere. I’ve got to break but I can’t avoid crashing against the rider in front of me, who was also trying not to hit the ones ahead. I didn’t actually fall down: it was only my leg touching the back of his bike. I keep riding. But shortly afterwards, I have a glance at that leg: it doesn’t hurt, there’s not a lot of blood covering it, but I can clearly see part of the periosteum, the membrane or surface that covers my tibia. I get off my bike, throw myself against the right-hand side of the road over the grass, cover my face with my hands in shock and disbelief, start to feel sick… I could only wait for my team car and the ambulance, while a lot of things come through my mind.
Just a stroke of bad luck? I don’t thing so: few kilometers later, one of the thoughts I had sitting in the gutter becomes real.
15km after my incident, Nikolas Maes, a rider from Etixx-Quick Step, comes into the very same ambulance I’m sitting in. There’s a deep wound in his knee, produced by another disc, one of those 32. One question comes inevitably and immediately to one’s mind: what will happen when 396 discs get into a race where 198 riders ferociously battle for position?
Disc brakes should have NEVER arrived into the peloton, not at least as we know them right now. I haven’t met any rider who has run out of braking power with traditional brakes; I haven’t known anyone who didn’t see his wheels skidding when you brake with all power you’ve got, no matter traditional or disc brakes. Then: why using them?
Conversely, there are lots of problems to change wheels after a puncture; added trouble for neutral service, which has to carry three or four different sets of wheels to help you out in case your team car is not around… and the most worrying thing, as I stated before, is that disc brakes in its actual concept are giant knives, ‘machetes’ when crashing against or crashed by them at a certain speed. And in some points, we reach 80, 90, 100 kilometres per hour.
I’ve been lucky: I didn’t get my leg chopped off, it’s just some muscle and skin. But can you imagine that disk cutting a jugular or a femoral vein? I would prefer not to.
All of this happens because the international riders’ association –the CPA–, national riders’ associations, international and national feds, teams and, above all of them, OURSELVES, PROFESSIONAL RIDERS, are not doing anything. We always think that it’s not a problem if it doesn’t happen to ourselves. We always wait for horrible things to happen in order to take measures. Sooner or later, it could happen to anybody: it’s a matter of probability, we’ve all got the same. Pro riders should take a look beyond our own belly. Others tell us what we should do, but we just can’t forget WE’VE GOT THE POWER TO CHOOSE, AND WE SHOULD MAKE A CHOICE.
Disks produce cuts. This time it was me; tomorrow, it can be more serious and happen to others.
Last edited by REDUTOPIA on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sd5500

by sd5500

I'm just not seeing the need on a true road bike. Cross, yes. MTB, yes. Road, no. As someone who races and has hit the deck a few times, no f'in way. I mean, sometimes I see people going down on charity rides. Just seems too risky. Maybe some day they'll figure out a way to make them very small or shielded some how.