After the recent events are you pro or against disc brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

After the recent events in the Paris-Roubaix, are you in favor or opposed to disc brakes?

In favor
39%
Opposite
53%
I do not know yet
8%

Total votes: 140

L3X

by L3X

Well if riders feel unsafe because of discs they should do something to mitigate this. If I was feeling unsafe during working hours I'd like my employer to handle it as well...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They just did. They asked for them to be removed and they were. Likewise, if your employer introduced a new air conditioner that emitted toxic fumes, you should say something. I'm sure they would remove it or get something else. Some jobs have a certain amount of unavoidable risk to them. Bike racing is one. Commercial fishing in Alaska's open seas is another. But there is no reason to be introducing new risks when the avoidance is so stupidly simple.... Just don't.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Svetty

by Svetty

fogman wrote:I think you need to be a little more specific in your poll question. Here are my answers:

On road bike in pro or amateur racing I am against disc brakes.

On cyclocross bikes in pro or amateur racing I am for disc brakes.

For recreational riding use whatever type of brakes you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect!

/close thread

LeDuke

by LeDuke

So, either Maes or Ventoso are not telling the truth re: Maes.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/186146 ... es-peloton

R350

by R350

I hear and see a lot of people stating that they're for or, as the majority are, against. But nobody seems to be stating why.

If you're going to type 'against, and have been since day one', you may aswell spend an extra five minutes on constructing an argument.

krtassoc

by krtassoc

Opposed...in all 'mass-start/ride' scenarios. (I echo Hesjedal's sentiment, below.)

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news ... -127209633

Hesjedal, who will be riding at Amstel Gold on Sunday, not only said disc brakes are not appropriate for the pros, but even amateurs in big groups. “With a sportive, it’s the same issue,” Hesjedal said. “It’s about a bunch together. If there’s a potential for a peloton-type crash, then yeah, disc are an added danger..."

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

The funny thing is the accident at Roubaix did not change my opinion. All the information was out there as to what could go wrong. Pro riders were very vocal as well.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I don't really care much actually.. But having used both .. I don't need them for 99% of the riding I do. Sure in the wet maybe .. But that's the only case I can see an advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package