How do you feel about suspension/ damping?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This fellows is hardly something new!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/canyons ... road-bike/

But how do you guys feel about it?

Does it peak some sort of interest or do you instantly run in to retrogressive mode?

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe9wh7cXLx4
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Marin

by Marin

On a road bike? About as useful as disc brakes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed. The biggest advance in road bike suspension was by far the use of air filled tires instead of solid rubber. Everything else since pales in comparison and generally has a cost, either in terms of weight or complexity, that far outweighs the benefit. Get the frame right, in terms of shape, materials, layup structure etc, and call it good. Leave the suspension to the off-roaders and freeriders.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rick

by Rick

I like the idea of suspension on a road bike and I am surprised that it hasn't been developed more thoroughly.
I guess the big question is "where to put it". My most comfortable saddles have utilized a damping layer or flexible shells or rubbery connection points which provide damping, just not in the frame specifically.
Putting the damping in the frame usually implies some rubbery componet that then negatively affects stiffness or handling. But I am all for them continuing to try new ideas.

eric

by eric

I'm all for new ideas too but I don't feel I need suspension on a road bike, and I ride a lot of very rough roads.

latsride

by latsride

I don't see the need for it. I ride a BMC SLR01 and yes, it has some damping integrated through its frame design, but nothing obvious that adds weight or complexity. Just pump some air out of the tyres :)

sychen

by sychen

As a long time mtber I love suspension.. The current designs are amazing... But have no place on a road bike.. I love the simplicity of not having the additional pivots bearings/swing arms /droppers/ blah blah for maintenance.

Unless you live on cobbles... There is really no need..those comfort designs are enough via shaping and material manipulation. Maybe some concrete pills required...

Only way it is accepted by the hardcore roadies if it is zero weight/drag gain.. And no efficient loss in any circumstances... Might as well have that perpetual motion machine

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com