Movistar rider injured by disc brake in Paris-Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

let me get the 'not so lightweight' joke out of the way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

^ I would have named them Messerklinge ;)

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Ah, but you've been 'told' by the cycling press & vicariously by the manufacturers that you 'need' this, therefore you will buy...
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

srshaw

by srshaw

tabmaster wrote:As a junior, I'd think nothing of sprinting down hills at 50 mph. Now I'm 40, with 13 years working in a trauma theatre behind me, I descend like a dog... I'm terrified.

I totally agree with these sentiments. One of my other passions in the 90s was rock climbing, and I now cringe at the risks I took climbing.

CBJ

by CBJ

jeffy wrote:let me get the 'not so lightweight' joke out of the way.

We need dedicated Pro's on Lighweight Dics thread.

wingguy

by wingguy

Gavf wrote:
wingguy wrote:Nope, but you could build a disc bike to 6.8 today if you wanted to.

Which begs the question, why are the teams that are running discs, having their bikes weighed in at 7.4kg?

So Gavf, why are teams having their leaders running bikes that are almost 7.4 kgs on Queen stages of Grand Tours?

"Stage winner Esteban Chaves (Orica-GreenEdge) was closest to the limit, with his bike weighing in at 6.870kg. New race leader Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL-Jumbo) was at 6.900kg, best young rider Bob Jungels (Etixx-Quickstep) came in at 7.00kg, leader of the mountain's classification Damiano Cunego (Nippo Vini Fantini) was at 7.240kg and Sebastian Henao (Team Sky) was a little heavier, with his Pinarello bike weighing 7.320kg."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-carry-out-further-checks-for-mechanical-doping-at-the-giro-ditalia/

perwjensen

by perwjensen

srshaw wrote:
tabmaster wrote:As a junior, I'd think nothing of sprinting down hills at 50 mph. Now I'm 40, with 13 years working in a trauma theatre behind me, I descend like a dog... I'm terrified.

I totally agree with these sentiments. One of my other passions in the 90s was rock climbing, and I now cringe at the risks I took climbing.

+1

Gavf

by Gavf

wingguy wrote:So Gavf, why are teams having their leaders running bikes that are almost 7.4 kgs on Queen stages of Grand Tours?

"Stage winner Esteban Chaves (Orica-GreenEdge) was closest to the limit, with his bike weighing in at 6.870kg. New race leader Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL-Jumbo) was at 6.900kg, best young rider Bob Jungels (Etixx-Quickstep) came in at 7.00kg, leader of the mountain's classification Damiano Cunego (Nippo Vini Fantini) was at 7.240kg and Sebastian Henao (Team Sky) was a little heavier, with his Pinarello bike weighing 7.320kg."

I don't know, why are you asking me?

Imagine if that Pinarello had discs, it would weigh more than a 300 quid cheap piece of rubbish you can buy at any national chain.

My point is, unless there is a rule change, we are never going to see GC guys (battling it out for overall victory) using disc brakes in any mountain stage, ever.

There is just too much od a disadvantage to using them

jeffy

by jeffy

if everyone uses them, there is no disadvantage aero or otherwise.

spookyload

by spookyload

Gavf wrote:
wingguy wrote:So Gavf, why are teams having their leaders running bikes that are almost 7.4 kgs on Queen stages of Grand Tours?

Imagine if that Pinarello had discs, it would weigh more than a 300 quid cheap piece of rubbish you can buy at any national chain.

My point is, unless there is a rule change, we are never going to see GC guys (battling it out for overall victory) using disc brakes in any mountain stage, ever.

There is just too much od a disadvantage to using them

It's not about the bike in mountain stages. It is about the engine turning it. Nibali would still beatmostof the pack up the big mountains on a 16# Pinarello. Froom pretty much has done that for he last few years. Cancellara rarely rides the lightest Treks that are offered. Armchair quarterbacks spend more time fretting these details than they do.

wingguy

by wingguy

Gavf wrote:

Because you said team leaders would never run bikes that heavy in mountain stages.

I'll remember you said that.

Gavf

by Gavf

jeffy wrote:if everyone uses them, there is no disadvantage aero or otherwise.

Right, but then all someone needs to do is not use them, thus, an instant advantage. I do not follow your line of thinking here?

spookyload wrote:It's not about the bike in mountain stages.....

Of course it is (assumingyou are talking about weight), what are you talking about? Very basic physics tells you there will be a difference.

I compete in national/inter hill climb races, the difference between winning and losing can be as little as not using a seat post/saddle and cutting the drops off your bars.

This reality is not up for debate, at a fundamental level.

wingguy wrote:Because you said team leaders would never run bikes that heavy in mountain stages.

NO, STOP LYING!, I said GC guys, you proved me right

wingguy wrote:I'll remember you said that.

Great, it is actually the mass general concensuss of people in bike racing, that actually matter.

I will not ever be proved wrong by the statement i made, unless there is a rule change (probably never)

wingguy

by wingguy

Gavf wrote:
wingguy wrote:Because you said team leaders would never run bikes that heavy in mountain stages.

NO, STOP LYING!, I said GC guys, you proved me right

WHAT DID YOU SAY? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

Henao is 15th in GC. When does GC stop being GC? Top 10 only? podium? Winner?

wingguy wrote:I will not ever be proved wrong by the statement i made, unless there is a rule change (probably never)

Since discs are only coming back in on a trial basis there will need to be a rule change before their use is allowed in future seasons, so that's a completely pointless statement to make.

Dez33

by Dez33

Has there been any official announcement on the trial recommencing? June 1 is not far away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Gavf wrote:
spookyload wrote:It's not about the bike in mountain stages.....

Of course it is (assumingyou are talking about weight), what are you talking about? Very basic physics tells you there will be a difference.

I compete in national/inter hill climb races, the difference between winning and losing can be as little as not using a seat post/saddle and cutting the drops off your bars.

This reality is not up for debate, at a fundamental level.

This is sport. Maybe psychologically at your amateur level, trimming your seatpost is going to help. But the extra 12g isn't making that much difference. Since you seem to be the expert who doesn't want to debate, please explain to us pleebs in physics, how much energy is lost per gram carried up a hill of unknown gradient. The difference between the winner an loser at the pro tour level isn't measured in grams of non-rotating mass on a bike.