Movistar rider injured by disc brake in Paris-Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Did i not read that ventuso injury was most likely caused by a chainring and that uci was rstarting the disc bake trail later this year or am i dreaming it.

This thread has caused international incident.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think the "international incident" started quite separately from this thread. :). This thread is just talking about it.
And no, I don't think you're dreaming about the disc trial being reinstated but I don't think there were any definitive conclusions as to exactly what caused his injuries one way or another.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Gavf wrote:
wingguy wrote:So what? The bike that you ride doesn't have any impact on the bikes the pros are riding.

Not quite correct, my old bike was used in world tour races (back in 2013) and was still under the UCI weight limit, i was merly pointing out that having powermeters deep section wheels etc doesn't mean a pro bike will be over this limit, like you suggested.

I didn't say they had to be, I said they often are. And they are.

wingguy wrote:Nope, but you could build a disc bike to 6.8 today if you wanted to.

Which begs the question, why are the teams that are running discs, having their bikes weighed in at 7.4kg?

Same reasons teams are having some of their non-disc bikes weighed at as much as 7.8kg.

fogman

by fogman

Gavf wrote:You won't ever find any serious GC contender, on a mountain stage, using a dics brake bike, the absolute worst place to have additional weight is on the wheel and will be a massive disadvantage compared to a rivel not using discs

This is my point, exactly. The UCI has supposedly reinstated the disc brake trial in the pro peloton. But why would teams with GC contenders be willing to "trial" disc brakes in any stage (mountainous, flat, dry or wet)? Why reinstate a trial that a majority of pros clearly do not want? Trial (testing) of any new technology needs to be conducted outside of race situations, maybe during training rides.

Racers need to be comfortable on equipment they are familiar with. They should be focused on winning the race/stage, not testing new, unfamiliar (and heavier) equipment. This could undoubtedly put them at a disadvantage to their rivals using rim brakes.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Gavf

by Gavf

wingguy wrote:I didn't say they had to be, I said they often are. And they are.

Not GC guys on mountain days, the people most effected by wheel weight, but who people say discs will be of the most benefit, never going to happen unless a new rule is introduced.

wingguy wrote:Same reasons teams are having some of their non-disc bikes weighed at as much as 7.8kg.

Not on any mountain stage, by any team, flat stages only, so littel point in having discs on them anyway.

Gavf

by Gavf

fogman wrote:This is my point, exactly. The UCI has supposedly reinstated the disc brake trial in the pro peloton. But why would teams with GC contenders be willing to "trial" disc brakes in any stage (mountainous, flat, dry or wet)?

It will only ever happen if bike manufacturers with the best GC riders conspire with each other, imo.

No GC rider is ever going to anywhere near them otherwise.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Thibaut Pinot should ride discs and 27mm tires.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

LeDuke wrote:Thibaut Pinot should ride discs and 27mm tires.

His problem was fear, not technique.

Also, I heard that even during his descending problems he was holding Strava KOMs on descents in his home area. Probably none of us mere mortals would be able to follow a World Tour pro who is considered to be a "bad descender" down a major climb.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Lieblingsleguan wrote:

Also, I heard that even during his descending problems he was holding Strava KOMs on descents in his home area. Probably none of us mere mortals would be able to follow a World Tour pro who is considered to be a "bad descender" down a major climb.

As a pro MTB racer, I'd heartily disagree with the "not technique" part of your statement.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

LeDuke wrote:
Lieblingsleguan wrote:

As a pro MTB racer, I'd heartily disagree with the "not technique" part of your statement.

With LeDuke on this one. Watch Pinot's crashes. Most often just too much weight on his saddle. Lack of confidence comes from lack of technique. Can't sit on your ass and think that you will be able to corner. And as for not descending mountains as fast as those who make a living riding up them - speak for yourself. Nothing (other then technique of course) to stop any of us from being just as fast going down and if you are big - even faster. And discs won't help either unless of course you happened to be on carbon clinchers :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Gavf

by Gavf

LeDuke wrote:As a pro MTB racer, I'd heartily disagree with the "not technique" part of your statement.

Desending fear creates bad technique?

tabmaster

by tabmaster

As a junior, I'd think nothing of sprinting down hills at 50 mph. Now I'm 40, with 13 years working in a trauma theatre behind me, I descend like a dog... I'm terrified.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

Dez33

by Dez33

bm0p700f wrote:Did i not read that ventuso injury was most likely caused by a chainring and that uci was rstarting the disc bake trail later this year or am i dreaming it.

I replied to your last statement about that. Do you have a link?

Dez33 wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:Even uci now think that ventoso injury might have been caused by a chainring..

Do you mean WFSGI? I don't recall UCI stating what you said.

On the second point, no firm date yet.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Gavf wrote:
LeDuke wrote:As a pro MTB racer, I'd heartily disagree with the "not technique" part of your statement.

Desending fear creates bad technique?

Bad descending technique creates fear... and it affects technique and it eventually spirals out of control ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com