Movistar rider injured by disc brake in Paris-Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fogman

by fogman

UCI disc brake trials remain suspended according to Cycling Tips.
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/disc-bra ... bjections/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

collin wrote:It can be dangerous killing tool when riders fall and hit a bike.

My third bike is GIANT CX and it has disc brake but I wouldn't ride with many other CX riders.

It's quite dangerous when it's pack riding.

Trolling discount codes with inflammatory BS... Good work.....
Using Tapatalk

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Disc offers many advantages.. but not in pro peloton.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Where do people come up with this rubbish? ^^^

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah I'm not even sure what that means.

Does he mean DB's stop braking well in the peloton because Pro's awesomeness fold space and time into 2 dimensions creating a byproduct of ceramic dust which coats discs reducing their friction?

Who knows, one for Snopes :D

fogman

by fogman

One recent article reports the UCI will indefinitely continue the ban of disc brakes.
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new ... oad-racing
Another reports positive talks in regards to reinstating disc brake trials in the pro peloton.
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations ... s-10127547

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

they have to reinstate it or the bike manufacturers may end up not supporting the teams in a few years. No point is sponsoring teams with expensive kit if all your actual sales are for disc brake bikes. If the UCI continues the ban the only people left riding with rim brakes will be old timers, retro grouches and road bike racers. That is not a huge market as most people dont race. I will take a little while to get to that point but it must be on UCI radar.

In todays race the hazzard was dodgy, riding disc brakes would not have changed that the injuries people suffered where mostly road race I doubt nice rotors with smooth edges would have added to the damage. Note how hope have made rotors for road bikes that have rounded edges. I was poo pooed here when I suggested that as one solution a few months back. Looks like good minds think alike.

Miller

by Miller

Agree with the above. Looking at the bikes being released and sold, UCI bikes will soon cease to be the pinnacle of bike engineering if they don't go disc. I don't think anyone will want such a disconnect between pro and amateur bikes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Miller wrote:Agree with the above. Looking at the bikes being released and sold, UCI bikes will soon cease to be the pinnacle of bike engineering if they don't go disc. I don't think anyone will want such a disconnect between pro and amateur bikes.

Least of all the manufacturers. Keep in mind that the bikes being released and sold today have been in the manufacturers new product development for several years. They can't just flip a switch and change what they have to offer overnight. The banning of discs has severely thrown a wrench into their entire business models, that being to shift everyone on rim brakes and rim brake frames to disc brakes and voila... new frames.... $$$$$. This is exactly the type of industry wide change they would love to see in a mature industry where there is little room for true market expansion on a grand scale, unless they somehow render everything in today's market obsolete. How dare the UCI, or the complete non-interest of the peloton as well as an awful lot of amateur road riders, myself included, suggest that, god forbid... "hey, we really don't need or want these things on our best road bikes".
My rims aren't covered in mud like a mountain bike, the road is paved, and my tires are skinny. Rim brakes work just fine under those conditions, without all the noise and finicky fitments.
Sure, the manufacturers can continue to sell to those that will buy them, but as in anything, there is no better advertising than when the best in the world are using the same stuff. This forum provides ample evidence of how influential the pros' gear is. What socks are they wearing? What shoes are they wearing? What bikes are they riding? The wants go on and on. So long as someone sees a pro using it, that's what they will want too. "If a pro doesn't ride it, then why should I" seems to be a common attitude among buyers, and marketers are acutely aware of that. And so the fact that the pros are not on discs has got to be bugging the manufacturers to no end. It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the end.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Miller wrote:UCI bikes will soon cease to be the pinnacle of bike engineering if they don't go disc. I don't think anyone will want such a disconnect between pro and amateur bikes.
You not been following cycling long then? Pro bikes stopped being the pinnacle once it was possible to put a reliable, mainstream bike together that was under the UCI limit. Not to mention the aero regs.

McNamara

by McNamara

Well, if you want "the pinnacle" of technology there has always been stuff outside UCI. I saw a guy in a fully faired recumbent yesterday, pretty sure his bike would slay any of ours in a time trial with the right pair of legs pushing it.

But that's not the kind of bike I want to ride. Calnago put it well. If the pros aren't on it, I don't care about it. Road racing is the raison d'etre for my cycling life, and the world tour is the top of road racing, hence that's what I care about. I'll buy a disc brake bike soon after they become permanently accepted by the UCI. Until then there's no reason to do so, despite the fact that there is a low probability of my participating in a UCI-sanctioned event in the States.

This may have been mentioned before, but how many disc brake bikes do people even see in USAC races? I have never seen one in an amateur race. Even in my weekend group rides they are as rare as fixies. So despite the fact that the bike shops are now full of disc brake road bikes, I doubt there is as much clamor for them from serious roadies as the industry and cycling media have suggested. Granted, this is in a flat area. I would not be surprised if they are more common in mountainous regions.

In any case I don't give much of a damn. It'll probably be another year or two before discs become firmly ensconced in the pro peloton, and my current rim brake bike should do just fine for me until then.

Miller

by Miller

mattr wrote:Pro bikes stopped being the pinnacle once it was possible to put a reliable, mainstream bike together that was under the UCI limit. Not to mention the aero regs.

Sure, but what proportion of buyers builds their own bikes these days? I see a lot of people on decent bikes round where I live and I'd say most of them, almost all, are riding complete bikes specced just as they came from the shop. Assembling your own machine is a niche activity now. Pro-level bikes are the glamour items in the manufacturer ranges.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Calnago wrote:
Miller wrote:Agree with the above. Looking at the bikes being released and sold, UCI bikes will soon cease to be the pinnacle of bike engineering if they don't go disc. I don't think anyone will want such a disconnect between pro and amateur bikes.

Least of all the manufacturers. Keep in mind that the bikes being released and sold today have been in the manufacturers new product development for several years. They can't just flip a switch and change what they have to offer overnight. The banning of discs has severely thrown a wrench into their entire business models, that being to shift everyone on rim brakes and rim brake frames to disc brakes and voila... new frames.... $$$$$. This is exactly the type of industry wide change they would love to see in a mature industry where there is little room for true market expansion on a grand scale, unless they somehow render everything in today's market obsolete. How dare the UCI, or the complete non-interest of the peloton as well as an awful lot of amateur road riders, myself included, suggest that, god forbid... "hey, we really don't need or want these things on our best road bikes".
My rims aren't covered in mud like a mountain bike, the road is paved, and my tires are skinny. Rim brakes work just fine under those conditions, without all the noise and finicky fitments.
Sure, the manufacturers can continue to sell to those that will buy them, but as in anything, there is no better advertising than when the best in the world are using the same stuff. This forum provides ample evidence of how influential the pros' gear is. What socks are they wearing? What shoes are they wearing? What bikes are they riding? The wants go on and on. So long as someone sees a pro using it, that's what they will want too. "If a pro doesn't ride it, then why should I" seems to be a common attitude among buyers, and marketers are acutely aware of that. And so the fact that the pros are not on discs has got to be bugging the manufacturers to no end. It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the end.

+100!
Furthermore, why don't the manufacturers now get on with the job of further improving rim braking?! They want to sell bikes, don't they?
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rim brakes cant be improved that's why.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Calnago, the roads are paved here as well, its summer so there is no mud but coming down keddington hill at 38 to 40 mph (that is enough on this hill) i can brake later on my disc brake bike than any of my rim brakes bikes. So while my rim brakes work o.k in all conditions i have more confidence in disc brakes.

Thats not issue though. Roadies are a conservative bunch and highly resistant to change. Roadies convince themselves that what sort of works most of the time is actually the best technical solution and then say why change whats not broke. Eventually whether anyone likes it or not the uci will allow disc brakes into racing it may take another three years but it will happen and then everyone will realise that all the fears where unfounded.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com