Movistar rider injured by disc brake in Paris-Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

krtassoc

by krtassoc

The first of many!

Movistar rider injured by disc brake in Paris-Roubaix

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/rac ... ash-220593

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Looks to me he was injured by falling.

Had that disc not been there, he'd still have hit something (like the pave).

Non-issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krtassoc

by krtassoc

No...he's only in hospital having his leg repaired by the slicing of the disk....but i guess that is no real issue!

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

It not "no big deal", but it's also not a "disc brake" issue.

It's like saying that curbs are the root of accidents where the rider hits the curb.

I'll agree that coming down hard on a disc sucks big time.

speedyvelo1

by speedyvelo1

Paris-Roubaix is a flat race with limited use of the brakes, Frank Ventoso is reported to have a cut produce by the disk. That is possible but I do not see that a major problem. OTOH in a steep and technically demanding downhill, the disks can become very hot, it is possible in these cases, end up with a 3rd degree burn which can be very serious if you are unlikely enough to get in contact with it.
Any new technology will have benefits and problem. The final decision will be made by performance in bicycle racing.
IF the weight limit of 6.8 Kg is eliminated then the chances of disk brakes as the norm will be unlikely. Why to add extra weight. Of course they have other problems like slow to change wheels, non standard disks etc.
Of course for carbon wheels disk brake made sense and if your are not at the top what difference a pound more or less will make?

VTBike

by VTBike

This is just silly. I've been injured by my chainrings before. Let's remove those too. Root of evil.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Pics of bloody disc?
Using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

VTBike wrote:This is just silly. I've been injured by my chainrings before. Let's remove those too. Root of evil.

Sure that's possible, but usually the chain is in the big chainring in a bike race which protects it from causing much damage. If it is in the smaller chainring, most likely the riders aren't at that great of speed. A rotor, leading edge, will be at risk of causing injury regardless. Especially if hot from recent braking.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MoPho

by MoPho

53x12 wrote:
VTBike wrote:This is just silly. I've been injured by my chainrings before. Let's remove those too. Root of evil.

Sure that's possible, but usually the chain is in the big chainring in a bike race which protects it from causing much damage. If it is in the smaller chainring, most likely the riders aren't at that great of speed. A rotor, leading edge, will be at risk of causing injury regardless. Especially if hot from recent braking.

There is no need for disc rotors to be sharp, they can be rounded off. And usually crashes happen because people don't have time to hit the brakes, so not likely to be hot

This is from a chainring

https://mobile.twitter.com/alex_howes/status/690675059220992000/photo/1

It's also speculation at this point that the injury was caused by a disc.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Fantastic bit of logic, that.

Riders cannot do without chainrings, can they?

But they have managed quite well without disc brakes.

MoPho

by MoPho

Valbrona wrote:
Riders cannot do without chainrings, can they?

Belt drive would be much safer :thumbup:

53x12

by 53x12

MoPho wrote:
53x12 wrote:

There is no need for disc rotors to be sharp, they can be rounded off. And usually crashes happen because people don't have time to hit the brakes, so not likely to be hot

This is from a chainring

https://mobile.twitter.com/alex_howes/status/690675059220992000/photo/1

It's also speculation at this point that the injury was caused by a disc.

Rounded object with enough speed and force will also cause serious injury; blunt force trauma. Disc brakes are just starting to enter pro road racing. MTB has already had injury issues with disc brakes and road racing is more at risk for this. Just google image search for lost/damaged fingers from disc brakes.

Here is another issue with disc brakes that traditional rim brakes will not cause:

[warning graphic content below]
http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb2542663/p4pb2542663.jpg
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

MoPho

by MoPho

53x12 wrote:[
Rounded object with enough speed and force will also cause serious injury; blunt force trauma. Disc brakes are just starting to enter pro road racing. MTB has already had injury issues with disc brakes and road racing is more at risk for this. Just google image search for lost/damaged fingers from disc brakes.

Here is another issue with disc brakes that traditional rim brakes will not cause:

Sure, and you can lose or damage a finger in the spokes too. And in racing you can also crack your head open on the pavement, knock your teeth out, lose limbs, poke out an eye, puncture a lung, tear open your belly, break your back/neck, get hit by a service car or support motorcycle, etc., etc..
Discs may add "one more thing" you can potentially get hurt from, but lets stop acting like disc brakes are suddenly making the sport dangerous :roll:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Perhaps the discs will soon have some sort of aero-cover or protective cover.
That slash in the head looks really horrible!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

That photo is very graphic, did we actually need to see that?