Movistar rider injured by disc brake in Paris-Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If they can, they will have everyone use bikes that are configured for 1 type of component group.

But people want Di2 while some still want the tactile mechanical feedback, hence they catered to both.
However, the physical differences in setup between a electronic groupset for installation and a mechanical are minimal as they were designed to be direct replacements ( mostly ) for the the mechanicals. Hence, a frame can be adapted without too much difficulty nor compromises in aesthetics or weight.

Its a very different ball game for brake mounts. They require the correct reinforcements to function safely.
Duplication of mounts for discs and rim brakes just adds unnecessary weight and would most certainly compromise aesthetics too.

Rim hydraulics don't cut it when you do a full bore comparison with disc hydraulics, especially in the wet or if you still want to keep you lightweight and aerodynamic deep section carbon rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@maxxevv: Agreed, but the proposal I brought up, which was originally discussed in another thread, was to make a sort of hybrid where there would be hydraulic rim brakes on the rear, where maybe 20% of braking occurs, and then an option for either a disc brake fork on the front or a rim brake fork. That way, the same frame can be used in either case, and let the buyer choose which brake he wants on the front... Disc or rim. Since 80% of the braking force occurs at the front anyway the user would get the benefits of whichever system he likes the most. And no need to worry about different brake mounts on the main frame, or longer chainstays, or wider dropouts etc. A win for the consumer since they can choose which they want. A lose for the manufacturer because instead of changing the entire industry as we know it today they only really get to sell new forks etc. I just think that's not a bad idea and not even too far fetched.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Miller wrote:Sure, but what proportion of buyers builds their own bikes these days? I see a lot of people on decent bikes round where I live and I'd say most of them, almost all, are riding complete bikes specced just as they came from the shop. Assembling your own machine is a niche activity now. Pro-level bikes are the glamour items in the manufacturer ranges.
Whut? I'm talking about stock, off the shelf bikes. Below the UCI limit.

Many manufacturers you don't even have to go to the halo model.

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:And you've got the chicken and egg backwards when it comes to UCI and manufacturers. It's easy for companies to have a few rim brakes bikes around to fulfill that requirement if they choose to. Trouble is, that's not selling discs now, is it? Because, back to the very true marketing "generalization", people want to buy what the pros use. You don't seem to be getting that. And that, and that alone, is why the manufacturers want discs in the pro peloton. So they can sell these things and cover their costs of developing them over the last however many years they've been planning it. Nighty nite.

From the article I posted earlier:

Jeff Rowe is the operations manager at Focus Bikes USA, a subsidiary of the German brand that sponsors AG2r La Mondiale. Rowe said that it’s “too early to tell” if the introduction of disc brakes on road racing at UCI WorldTour level was going to impact sales, and that if the UCI rules out racing with disc brakes, it wouldn’t likely change Focus’s production run plans for 2017 and 2018.

“I don’t think the WorldTour sells the bulk of bicycles that are sold,” Rowe continued. “At the WorldTour level, it’s very much a branding exercise — keeping your brand recognition high in bike shops."

“If you think about it, this separation of what 99% of cyclists are using, this separation from that population and the UCI elite road racing, that’s already been happening,” said Zack Vestal, bike marketing manager at Scott Sports, which sponsors Orica-GreenEdge and IAM Cycling. “You can always justify having a professional road racing team, from a brand statement perspective, or brand positioning. The UCI and its tech decisions are grossly and increasingly irrelevant to everything else.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

@Calnago, you can't be serious about the two fork suggestion can you?

God, people like you live in their own little bubble, where both the concept of reality and seemingly sanity doesn't exist.

Disc brakes is where the majority of R&D money is being spent and it's where the market is heading (and so it should).

Stop the rampant babbling on about hydro rim brakes and how manufacturers will ever think about offering two forks for a bike so someone can run a disc paired with a hydro rim brake in the rear.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Dead serious.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ergott

by ergott

I know I participated in this thread, but come on now. Time to go your separate ways and agree to disagree. This thread has become a stain on the forum.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed

fogman

by fogman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

jeffy

by jeffy

appropriate thread lock

fogman

by fogman

UCI will be allowing testing of disc brakes with dulled edges in 2017.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/10/ ... 017_422336
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-br ... g-in-2017/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Finally ... Campag will have their hydro discs ready.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Call me conservative, but i really cant understand why there should be disc brakes in road biking, except that manufacturers try to make u want a totaly new bike because of that.

Coming from MTB, and on my Stumpjumper FSR XC in 2000, i had a Shimano XTR V-Brakes, with Kool Stop pads. Very easy for maintence (even on trail), long lasting, simple, very good braking performance.

After that i switch to new bike (Speciaized Epic Marathon Carbon), with Magura Marta SL Disc Brakes. I was able to notice braking improvement only in wet or mud, and pay the price for that with maintence.. Replacing oil, and brake pads every few months.If i have the chance to chooose ill stay even there V-Brakes when i consider Maintence, servicability and cost.

While i can understand need of Disc Brakes in MTB, i really cant understand need for that in Road biking. I tried Specialized Tarmac Disc version. Yes the braking power is higher, but i feel too much power and i found out that braking power from my Campy record are totaly enough, and i would really hate to have extra maintence for that power that i dont need at all.

Maybe the only reason for Disc Brakes are Carbon Clinchers and high temperatures while braking there? (Im riding Alloy Shamal Ultra and plan to upgrade to Tubulars) I also must admit on long steep descents with Campy brake pads, i have in one moment loosing brake power because of heat, but it's my bad technique of braking (when i dont drag the pads it's not happening), or maybe pads (i never had that problem with Swiss Stop Pads).

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Disc brake maintenance requirements have come a long, long way since the Marta SL.

Its not about power either, its about the amount of control achievable.

spartan

by spartan

no one is forcing you to buy the disc brake version. the delay in introduction of disc brakes to the pro ranks is to 'help' struggling campy time to come out with disc brakes.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com