Movistar rider injured by disc brake in Paris-Roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeDuke

by LeDuke

tabmaster wrote:I'm not claiming to be anything. I think you'll find that I said that I have worked in a major trauma unit for the last thirteen years. Do you work in a trauma unit? Are you a surgeon or O.R. nurse? This does, however, give me experience. I can see what you're saying about the injury looking like it was caused by blunt force trauma (at least from your experience of looking at your coffee table book, which must be considerable...). In my humble experience of truma surgery it does not always follow that a knife will produce a clean cut. It could, as I pointed out earlier, have been caused by anything and we only have Ventoso's commentary as evidence. Without evidence to the contrary, surely the chap should be believed? He's just a guy doing a job, like you & I. If we, in our respective work places, had something introduced that would be potentially detrimental to our health I'm very sure that we'd have something to say about it!
I must, however, defer to the vastly greater knowledge of the average American with reference to litigation. After all, who else could settle disputes live on TV with 'Judge Judy'? I just think it's mean to state, quite bluntly I must add, that someone is full of sh1t... Yes, it seems that discs will be coming like it or not for no better reason than the manufacturers say so. I think I know who will be buying them. The UCI have got it a bit wrong but why are they not allowed to govern the sport for which they are the governing body? Why are the riders not allowed to have a bigger say, since it is them who'll have to use them? Imagine if the manufacturers of American footballs decided that they thought everyone should be playing with a round ball instead of what you have now...

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but:

Arbitration is not litigation. In fact, it rules out litigation. Roll that around in your big juicy brain for a bit and get back to us.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabmaster

by tabmaster

LeDuke wrote:
tabmaster wrote:I'm not claiming to be anything. I think you'll find that I said that I have worked in a major trauma unit for the last thirteen years. Do you work in a trauma unit? Are you a surgeon or O.R. nurse? This does, however, give me experience. I can see what you're saying about the injury looking like it was caused by blunt force trauma (at least from your experience of looking at your coffee table book, which must be considerable...). In my humble experience of truma surgery it does not always follow that a knife will produce a clean cut. It could, as I pointed out earlier, have been caused by anything and we only have Ventoso's commentary as evidence. Without evidence to the contrary, surely the chap should be believed? He's just a guy doing a job, like you & I. If we, in our respective work places, had something introduced that would be potentially detrimental to our health I'm very sure that we'd have something to say about it!
I must, however, defer to the vastly greater knowledge of the average American with reference to litigation. After all, who else could settle disputes live on TV with 'Judge Judy'? I just think it's mean to state, quite bluntly I must add, that someone is full of sh1t... Yes, it seems that discs will be coming like it or not for no better reason than the manufacturers say so. I think I know who will be buying them. The UCI have got it a bit wrong but why are they not allowed to govern the sport for which they are the governing body? Why are the riders not allowed to have a bigger say, since it is them who'll have to use them? Imagine if the manufacturers of American footballs decided that they thought everyone should be playing with a round ball instead of what you have now...

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but:

Arbitration is not litigation. In fact, it rules out litigation. Roll that around in your big juicy brain for a bit and get back to us.

Well I did say that I was nowhere near ofay with legal issues as you fine Americans. You chaps probably have more than enough experience from birth in that field to know all about that. Don't let my little error get in the way of the bigger issue though... The wound could have been caused by anything. Ventoso stated that he thought it was a rotor. The UCI have done the responsible thing, clearly something that irks the average early adopter of discs. Again, and how many more times does one have to say it: Let the UCI govern the sport for which the are the governing body. Let the riders have a a large part in the decision making process. Both of the these conditions to be met without the manufacturers lobbying or putting pressure on the UCI (or the riders of the teams they sponsor for that matter). If the manufacturers have cocked up because they thought that all & sundry would swoon over their planned models for the next couple of years then I'm sorry but that's tough. It used to be the case that people still bought new bikes just because it was a new model (and didn't have to be radically different to the previous model). The manufacturers have just got greedy and it looks as though they may have got their fingers burned. Like Ventos's leg, oh how my heart bleeds for them...
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

ergott

by ergott

tabmaster wrote:Well I did say that I was nowhere near ofay with legal issues as you fine Americans. You chaps probably have more than enough experience from birth in that field to know all about that.

Seriously, back off the America bull$hit you keep posting. It's offensive.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

ergott wrote:
tabmaster wrote:Well I did say that I was nowhere near ofay with legal issues as you fine Americans. You chaps probably have more than enough experience from birth in that field to know all about that.

Seriously, back off the America bull$hit you keep posting. It's offensive.

I find it offensive that another post states that Ventoso is full of Sh1t, without any evidence to support. My apologies, however. I wouldn't want to get sued.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

ergott

by ergott

tabmaster wrote:I find it offensive that another post states that Ventoso is full of Sh1t, without any evidence to support. My apologies, however. I wouldn't want to get sued.

So you are going to justify your behavior like that? Real mature.

This forum is frequented by people all over the world. It would be nice people didn't remembered that. You lumping an entire nation into your stereotypes is uncalled for. I don't care who you have beef with in this thread.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

ergott wrote:
tabmaster wrote:I find it offensive that another post states that Ventoso is full of Sh1t, without any evidence to support. My apologies, however. I wouldn't want to get sued.

So you are going to justify your behavior like that? Real mature.

This forum is frequented by people all over the world. It would be nice people didn't remembered that. You lumping an entire nation into your stereotypes is uncalled for. I don't care who you have beef with in this thread.

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken the bait. I'm angry, but not at you personally.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I get it, about the American legal thing. I live in the U.S. after having moved here from Canada. And without a doubt this has to be the most litigious country in the world, so I'd say that particular "stereotype" is probably close to accurate, or at least not entirely unfounded. Just the other day some woman launched a $5million lawsuit against Starbucks claiming there's not enough liquid in their iced coffee drinks. Lol. Starbucks response was that most of their customers realize that ice is an integral part of an iced coffee drink. It's ridiculous what cases some lawyers in this country will take on if they think it will give them either more $$$ or publicity. But I digress. Sorry.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ergott

by ergott

Calnago wrote:I get it, about the American legal thing. I live in the U.S. after having moved here from Canada. And without a doubt this has to be the most litigious country in the world, so I'd say that particular "stereotype" is probably close to accurate, or at least not entirely unfounded. Just the other day some woman launched a $5million lawsuit against Starbucks claiming there's not enough liquid in their iced coffee drinks. Lol. Starbucks response was that most of their customers realize that ice is an integral part of an iced coffee drink. It's ridiculous what cases some lawyers in this country will take on if they think it will give them either more $$$ or publicity. But I digress. Sorry.

Doesn't mean we all have to be lumped into that category. Every country has their less than desirable attributes.

jeffy

by jeffy

New top end disc brake road bikes on way from Specialized, Cannondale, and Fuji -

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/189242 ... Y16Kj.dpuf

wingguy

by wingguy

spookyload wrote:I wonder if the extra pound could again be used to take weight off the pro bike again. I remember the year Simoni put bronze weights on his top tube in protest of his Cannondale being to light. That was about 15 years ago. The quest for lighter bikes pretty much stopped then. Now that they have the extra pound to play with in disc weight, I wonder if they will begin again.

With DI2, powermeters, aero frames and deep rim wheels now being the norm many pro's are already riding bikes way more than a pound over the weight limit.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Jeehoon wrote:It could make a dagerous situation..

Padding that post count, eh?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gavf

by Gavf

wingguy wrote:With DI2, powermeters, aero frames and deep rim wheels now being the norm many pro's are already riding bikes way more than a pound over the weight limit.

I have a bike with all them things and is still well under the UCI weight limit.

You won't find GC guys in world tours doing mountain days with a bike .45kg over the UCI weight limit.

wingguy

by wingguy

Gavf wrote:
wingguy wrote:With DI2, powermeters, aero frames and deep rim wheels now being the norm many pro's are already riding bikes way more than a pound over the weight limit.

I have a bike with all them things and is still well under the UCI weight limit.

So what? The bike that you ride doesn't have any impact on the bikes the pros are riding.

You won't find GC guys in world tours doing mountain days with a bike .45kg over the UCI weight limit.

Nope, but you could build a disc bike to 6.8 today if you wanted to.

fogman

by fogman

Gavf wrote:You won't find GC guys in world tours doing mountain days with a bike .45kg over the UCI weight limit.

Yet the mountain days are perhaps where you would might get the most benefit from disc brakes (on the descents). I think the weight savings on the ascent trumps the braking benefit on the descent. Looking forward to the TdF to see what stages (if any) the contenders will use disc brakes. I would not use a high profile race to "trial" new technology.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Gavf

by Gavf

wingguy wrote:So what? The bike that you ride doesn't have any impact on the bikes the pros are riding.

Not quite correct, my old bike was used in world tour races (back in 2013) and was still under the UCI weight limit, i was merly pointing out that having powermeters deep section wheels etc doesn't mean a pro bike will be over this limit, like you suggested.
wingguy wrote:Nope, but you could build a disc bike to 6.8 today if you wanted to.

Which begs the question, why are the teams that are running discs, having their bikes weighed in at 7.4kg?
fogman wrote:Yet the mountain days are perhaps where you would might get the most benefit from disc brakes (on the descents). I think the weight savings on the ascent trumps the braking benefit on the descent. Looking forward to the TdF to see what stages (if any) the contenders will use disc brakes. I would not use a high profile race to "trial" new technology.

You won't ever find any serious GC contender, on a mountain stage, using a dics brake bike, the absolute worst place to have additional weight is on the wheel and will be a massive disadvantage compared to a rivel not using discs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com