moving to dura ace asymetric chain : shifting difference

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

Guys, last week, I've put on a new DA chain, while keeping the cassette (has around 2000 miles on it from the first chain). The original chain was a 9000 one, but with 'dura-ace' written on both sides of the chain. DI2 shifting has been wonderfull with it. While installing the new chain, I noticed that it only had the 'dura-ace' on one side, and according to the instructions, that side had to be on the outside. So did I. Don't know if it's me, but upshifting seems less smooth on the lower half of the cassette. Once shifted, it runs completely silently, so indexing is still OK I guess. Downshits are still perfect to my feeling.

Is that a ressult of a new chain used with a used cassette (but why does it still run so silently, and without any skips, even under load on the worst roads), or does the switch to the asymettical chain implies to re-adjust the rear mech. I could trim it a little more outward, but than, I guess the chain will run with a little noise, and the shifting on the upper half of the cassette won't be as clean as it is now.

I know, it only take a little time, and if I count the clics on the trim, I could easily go back to the original setting, but I prefer to ask your opinion before making some tweaks.

Edit to be clear : old chain was a CN9000, new one is the HG900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I did not notice any difference when going from the cn9000 to the hg900 chains. What you describe might be due to slight misalignment of the Rd hanger. It might be a good idea to check alignment with the appropriate tool (park dag for example).

salesguy

by salesguy

Same here, no difference

Whenever I have had a system not shift like it's supposed to (after setting up per dealer manual) 9/10 times its the hanger.

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Absolutely no difference, even I love 9000 chain more than XTR one.