Bianchi Oltre XR2 Setback

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT56

by GT56

measure the distance form the floor to the top of the saddle

measure the distance from the floor to the top of the handlebar as close to the stem as possible

deduct the latter value from the first, and there you are

it goes without saying that the floor need to be flat and the bike exactly straight up

can you re-confirm the distance 'tip of saddle behind bottom bracket axle'

more or less the same method:

bike with front wheel against the wall

measure the distance wall to tip of saddle

measure the distance wall to the center of the bb axle

deduct the latter from the first, and there you are

again, flat floor / wall, angle floor / wall 90 deg, bike 90 deg floor / wall

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

GT56 wrote:measure the distance form the floor to the top of the saddle

measure the distance from the floor to the top of the handlebar as close to the stem as possible

deduct the latter value from the first, and there you are

it goes without saying that the floor need to be flat and the bike exactly straight up

can you re-confirm the distance 'tip of saddle behind bottom bracket axle'

more or less the same method:

bike with front wheel against the wall

measure the distance wall to tip of saddle

measure the distance wall to the center of the bb axle

deduct the latter from the first, and there you are

again, flat floor / wall, angle floor / wall 90 deg, bike 90 deg floor / wall

In this moment, drop on bike is 6.5 cm (Oltre XR2 in 55 cm which seem a bit big, specialy in reach part), on other 7.5 cm (Pinarello FP3 in 53cm, which i ride last few years).

And saddle tip over bottom bracket around 7.5-8cm (on Oltre that i have on test in size 55 cm), and i guess similar on Pinarello FP3 (i need to put the Selle Italia Saddle back to be able to measure it properly.I'll do this a bit later and confirm u).

Yesterday i was doing some climbing on Oltre, and this fore-aft saddle position were ok, but very long front end (and i feel not low enough with -5 degrees 100 mm stem)

Competitive Cyclist BikeFit suggest me in Eddy fit 6.5 cm Saddle Tip Over Bottom Bracket

Greetings and thanks a lot for trying to help me out.

3Pio

by 3Pio

In this moment i have Oltre XR in 55 cm size on test, and seem that i finaly have a compfortable position, and almost perfect for climbing.

I put the saddle all the way back (almost in illegal part of the saddle, im a bit in the STOP sign), and using the 90mm stem, -5 deg, no spacers at all under the stem.

The only problem is that this way i have nice climbing position, comfortable, but bike is nervous and not stable on downhill (too fast handling, and nervous front end).

I'll get all the masuring a bit later, so based on this i need advice is it possible to have this kind position that provide climbing performance, comfort but on smaller frame with longer stem to improve handling .

Anyway, im very suprised from the Oltre. I did not expect it this kind of riding,very stiff but smooth in same time. And when i was with 110 and 100mm stem, very stable on downhill as well (but with those stems i was overstreched in the front).

Tommorow i'll have very long riding (230km), so it would be final test for comfort :)

AJS914

by AJS914

What is the reach on the bars? Maybe short reach bars (Zipp SL70s are 70mm) will allow you to fit a little bit longer stem?

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:What is the reach on the bars? Maybe short reach bars (Zipp SL70s are 70mm) will allow you to fit a little bit longer stem?

The bars that i have on this bike are FSA, 42cm c-c on the tops, 44cm c-c in the drops, 80mm reach and 125 mm drop.

Maybe 70m reach can help putting longer stem, but since i never tried im not sure about what comfort and brake lever reach comfort (using Campagnolo Record).

Still wondering if the solution is 53 cm frame with more setback seatpost. Or in that case i'll be too much on the back, and some other disbalance will occur?

Or Maybe something between? (like 55 cm C60 or 53 cm Dogma F8)

GT56

by GT56

3Pio wrote:
AJS914 wrote:What is the reach on the bars? Maybe short reach bars (Zipp SL70s are 70mm) will allow you to fit a little bit longer stem?

The bars that i have on this bike are FSA, 42cm c-c on the tops, 44cm c-c in the drops, 80mm reach and 125 mm drop.

Maybe 70m reach can help putting longer stem, but since i never tried im not sure about what comfort and brake lever reach comfort (using Campagnolo Record).

Still wondering if the solution is 53 cm frame with more setback seatpost. Or in that case i'll be too much on the back, and some other disbalance will occur?

i think there are frames that would suit you better than the Oltre

think a less steep seattube angle (73 degrees or even less) and a shorter frame reach

have a look at Cervelo's R series (i think the 54 would suit you nicely)

the less steep seattube angle will bring the saddle more to the middle of the rail

and the smaller reach will bring the handlebar closer

all in all you (and the center of gravity) will be more over the center of the bike, where with the Oltre you would be too far back, adding to the nervous steering

3Pio

by 3Pio

GT56 wrote:
3Pio wrote:

i think there are frames that would suit you better than the Oltre

think a less steep seattube angle (73 degrees or even less) and a shorter frame reach

have a look at Cervelo's R series (i think the 54 would suit you nicely)

the less steep seattube angle will bring the saddle more to the middle of the rail

and the smaller reach will bring the handlebar closer

all in all you (and the center of gravity) will be more over the center of the bike, where with the Oltre you would be too far back, adding to the nervous steering

Ok, yesterday i had a nice chance to try the 55 Oltre XR. I have done 251 km, in 10 hours of moving time (14 hours total, but some break for lunch and cofee on the way).

In the first 30 km's i found out that im too far back with 90 mm stem, so all the weight on the back, and poor performance.

Lucky me i bring with me 100 mm stem, and i found comfy positon with this stem (-5 degrees, only one spacer 5 mm uder the stem), and also i move the saddle a bit in the front.

With this positon, i cycled the rest of 220 km, with no pain at all. I feel that maybe i dont have the max performance on the climbs, also i feel it can be more stable on downhill, but at least comfortable.

Today i wrote down detailes from this position and i'll post later all details, so based on this let's check if should think abut 53 or not.

In the meanwhile strava log from the riding

http://www.strava.com/activities/548487240

Greetings

3Pio

by 3Pio